Chat about CVRDA events
chris

Re: Roadford Event 1-3 May

Post by chris »

So we need 7 more Merlins then!
roger

Post by roger »

It will make a change for the Merlins to be outnumbered by a single class.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sorry all,

can't now make Roadford - will be putting gunwhales on Contender! (see the thread on Preferred suppliers).... this means that I won't actually be putting the gunwhales on, ace boatbuilder Ian Ridge will be doing that, I'll be handing him the tools like a nurse in an operating theatre and I'll sweep up the mess after.

BUT - once that it done, whilst the epoxy cures (that wot hasn't soaked in the wood, the floor and my jeans) I'll be working on the Merlin so that events in the South East could well be a possibility soon!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

I have had an email asking what times race starts will be at Roadford. i know you guys are pretty much on Cornwall time but some idea would be appreciated.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Roger
Roadford is in DEVON
Fun race Saturday afternoon.
Sunday first start 10am (but its CVRDA time).
Monday about the same time.
Cheers Al
roger

Post by roger »

Devon? Cornwall its all very relaxed down there. Just sorry Im missing it. Hope the weather is better than forecast.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

What's a bit of weather matter anyway? But Sandy's glueing his leaky drysuit after a very wet leg at Whitefriars :)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Is he sure that wasn't just age and a long race?
Rupert
nickdick

Post by nickdick »

We`ll be coming, despite the weather. This will be my first CVRDA event and I`m bringing `Hilary` my 1947 Firefly (F13) she won`t mind the weather. Looking forward to it and meeting some, or all of you. I know it`s relaxed but we`re coming from Gloucestershire and would like to know very roughly what time registration is. Thanks, Nick Dickinson.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Registration will be Saturday am.
Hope you have a good trip down. Should take you about 2.5 hrs. The slip road from the A30 signed posted Roadford Lake Broadwood Widger is very short be careful as you come to it very quickly and it's easy to over shoot.
See you tomorrow.
Alan Williams
Pat

Post by Pat »

And don't forget to go PAST the visitor centre and over the dam then it's about another mile before the turning on the right.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Enjoy yourselves it's raining in Denmark but I hope you enjoy some warm weather and fair winds the winter has been far too long!
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

How'd it go?
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Full Roadford report will becoming shortly. 19 enties including 9 Classic Finns for their series within are series. It was also good to welcome to their first ever CVRDA event the Cherub and Redwing Class with two representatives each, another Scow Moth, Firefly 13 which was a 1948 Olymic Trials Boat
Round the lake fun races on Saturday won in both directions by Peter Vincent. The time difference between heading off anticlock wise and then clockwise was according to Peter 10seconds.
Sunday the Lake was closed for most of the day due to high winds and a vote was taken whether to abandon racing for the day or start later in the day. A considerable majority voted to knock it on the head for the day. This allowed people to explore the area and the local pubs.
Monday
Three races were held in strong breeze conditions with the odd 22mph gust. Needless to say in these conditions the Finns were to the fore and took the first 5 places overall.
Places to follow in full report.
Al
Last edited by alan williams on Tue May 04, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris

Post by chris »

Firstly thanks to all that organised 'Roadford' and although the three days didn't go quite as planned because of the weather it always a very enjoyable events.

So how did it go? Ok a quick summary...

Saturday pm two races round the lake in the direction you choose - first one way then the other. Only merlins 1066 and 507 chose anticlockwise first but we had a very close race together overtaking each other a couple of times in the first race. 1066 celebrating her 50th birthday with a good revarnish and new sails (well new in 1966, but they set very well and apparently have returned to their original boat). I think Peter V in the finn was first but it didn't seem to make great difference which way round you went.

Sunday started with a brisk wind that got brisker and the lake's people banned sailing for the day - went to see the Steam fairground museum and fairgound organ event instead!

Monday seemed brighter at first but the wind was only marginally lighter than sunday but three races back to back to get them in before lunch. Most boats went out, several capsized (more than once) at least one halyard failed and one tiller snapped. Several came in after the first race relieved to have survived. On return to land we found that our jib window had ripped itself to pieces! Next two races were good spectator events so hats off to those who did the three races. We left before the results were out but my money should have been on Peter V I quess.
PS very glad we had chosen to B&B rather than camp as some people looked very cold first thing in the morning.

Thanks again Roadford