CVRDA nats Clywedog August

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: CVRDA nats Clywedog August

Post by Rupert »

Less than a week to go, folks! Hope the epoxy is dry ready for the varnish to go on - it will air dry as you travel...provided you like fly non-slip!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

mmm...just back from hols so a bit of epoxy going on tonight, then g4 outside of hull where I've patched a couple of planks tomorrow, turn hull, g4 inside wednesday; that leaves thursday for the last minute problem I haven't forseen yet, travel on friday. All due to very leaky Spritefull the last time we sailed at Thames. The old ply has good outer veneer that has now split because the inner layers have turned to soggy mud rather tha wood. I did tell Lois not to tread on the floor whilst crewing 'cos I knew it was dodgy. She did try some entertaining acrobatics to be fair.

Now do I risk bringing a wooden mast to break or shall I just practice my waterskiing behind the boat again?

PS who won the classic, Old and Overall trophies last year? Can you bring them with you please.
(and any other trophies too.)
Chris
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks to Roger's reminder yesterday, the Classic and youngest competitor trophies are being engraved currently, and will be coming with me. Phil Philpot in the yellow N12 won the Old - will he be there? I didn't think there was an overall trophy.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I think Ed has the wingnut. Is he coming? If not is anyone else coming from Roadford who could deliver it? Just in case Chris tries water skiing again. Or Keith has repainted his boat.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I expect to be in the area during early Friday Afternoon.

Is it likely that the club will be open?

I would like to park up the boat, and possibly rig her before going to look for the B and B.

I will be starting from Swindon Friday morning, and it is unlikely I will be hanging about waiting for the traffic to build up.

See you all there.

Steve Hawkins
Desperation - Merlin Rocket 950
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
keithr

Post by keithr »

Hi/all

I will be there Thurs from 12.00 and maybe thurs night right through as well (depends if I get everything sorted at home).

If not I will be back by lunch time Friday.

I have got some cotton sails for Firefly and GP ( donation to disabled sailing fund) which I will have with me.

Keith

I
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Still hoping to come......but looking less and less likely.

Only got one car at moment....and Simone has an appointment at hospital on Friday. She has volunteered to go in by train/bus, but I would feel a bit mean!

Also have a small problem with my trailer. I was all booked up to get it welded last night, but it didn't happen and now it is pissing down with rain, so don't know whether it will be possible this evening.....

If I do come, I think it would most probably be me and Issie, so looking at forecast, don't think it is likely that we could sail much anyway.

Not sure who else from Roadford is going.

Alan hopefully.....although again, he has car troubles and was asking me whether I could tow up a double-stacker......but havn't heard from him, so maybe he has it sorted out.

Post?

could do that - but where/who to?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

looking at forecast, don't think it is likely that we could sail much anyway
well from this end of the country - N wales 2 hours from Clywedog - the weather looks like it's going to be setting fair for the w/e and into next week. I hoping to get down there tomorrow evening or very very early Friday.

where can I camp?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Sorry.....let me re-phrase that.

I wasn't trying to say it will be too windy to sail....just that it might be too windy for me to sail the Firefly with my 6 year old daughter. She is OK in the Jollyboat, but I havn't tried her out in the Firefly yet and I would really need conditions that were pretty close to drifters to give it a go.

I am sure it will be fine for all you brave chaps!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Forecasts I've looked at looking good, too 10 to 12 mph winds. Fireflies are pretty easy to sail with a small child in the front - Charlie started racing at about age 6, and at age 8 did a really gusty Thames event with me, and I'm a little smaller than you, Ed. Go for it - I'd love another Firefly to play with! After the Canoe, you'll find a Firefly easy to sail, even when 90% of concentration is on your crew!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

and Ed you are welcome to use the geep.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Stephen Hawkins

I would like a close look over a Firefly this weekend, after almost buying one on ebay last week.....Might be a boat for the lad to move into when he is done with Cadets...

...And something for me to sail when the MR is not the answer (jollies with inexperienced crew and windy weather).

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Last edited by Stephen Hawkins on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Hawkins

Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

A brilliant boat for all those purposes.....and more!

Sorry, that it just does not seem likely that I will be able to show you mine!

I was also looking forwards to seeing MR950. I also have a MkVIII and I took a real interest in MR950 when she turned up at Roadford.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Stephen Hawkins

Ed,

which mkVIII do you have? I understand that there were not many made (circa 6?) and 950 was one of only 2 made by Chippendale, and the last of the 6 - I stand to be corrected here.

When I look at pictures of her, when I have been sailing her, it always looks like I have not got her trimmed right...with her bow always seeming to be out of the water. Quite a lot of rocker.

You are welcome to to inspect here more thoroughly and perhaps you can give me some pointers with respect to genral setup.

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I have Djyn MR 638 made by Wyche & Coppock in 1955.

It is a very gorgeous boat. It has big roll-in decks and stern-decking (concave I think).

I bought her 15 years ago to re-build, but unfortunately have not yet found the time.

They have a very full rocker - a real 'banana' boat.

I always presumed they were just really aimed at the River, in answer to Holts designs.

It always seemed to me that they were not a very versatile design....and not very popular, but talking to some old Merlin-heads, there do seem to be a few who think the design was maybe better than previously thought.

However you cut it......they are a very beautiful design, so very elegant.

I have got in trouble for saying in the past that the Mk IX was very 'masuculine' looking, but by contrast, in my eyes the MkVIII is just totally female.

I do hope that I will be able to one day get new decks on her and get her back on the water.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull