2011 events

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: 2011 events

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Alan, 2nd BH it is.

Ian, I'd love to see an event in Scotland. If you know enough (1/2 a dozen?) classic boat owners, have a date in mind and a club to sail from, it would be a really great thing - Garry would be exstatic! We would back it to the hilt on here, on Y&Y and wherever else we could. What I can't say would happen is that we would all come to Scotland to take part, as much as many of us would love to. For many, just getting a couple of hours up the road involves much planning and nogotiation!
Having said that, the appeal of a loch during a race week would be pretty strong for many, like it is for Alan.

The cvrda started in the first place just through old boat owners talking and deciding to sail together. No reason it can't happen elsewhere, and the infrastructure is now set up to make communication easier. Do you know the Tummel week organizers?
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

We'd want to travel up from Wiltshire for a Scottish event - Dalgety Bay with the Merlins was fun.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Not so far north but still in Scotland is St Mary's Loch. Camping at the club, pub within walking distance and I have been told that we would be most welcome. It might be possible to attract Scottish Vintage and classics too at an event there. They have held championship events so well organised.

http://www.stmlsc.org.uk/
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nice photos in the gallery - certainly plenty of space. We would need an "in" of some sort - someone at the club willing to push an event to club members and the surrounding area, unless there is a regatta weekend of some sort we can piggyback, so all the arrangements are in place already?
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary's_Loch

As you say - plenty of room!!!!!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I used to travel to Oban every weekend for 470 training. I would like to sail in Scotland again, but to justify to HI it'ds have to be a 2 or 3 day bash.

I will also talk to Mike about the timing for the Hunts event. They did offer early May Bank Holiday.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Mr. Ben

Post by Mr. Ben »

Thames Sailing Club are as ever extremely keen to run the CVRDA event (we love having you all here) as either a 1 day event or a 2 day event but we recognise that ours is not the easiest venue for a 2 day 'staying over' event. Even though the Saturday night party tends to be a pretty good reason to stay, the lack of camping and the cost of staying locally I'm sure can be a bit of a put-off. So we are keen to cater to both those who enjoy it as a 2 day event and those who find it hard to justify the expense and would rather do a 1 day event.

So we're happy to do the Saturday as the CVRDA travellers series which would also count towards the 2 day TSC Vintage Regatta series. We would continue to run the 2 day series using the CVRDA handicaps because it's just easier that way.

What would be useful would be a straw poll from those who might seriously consider attending as to whether this approach would be either a) a put off or b) make you more likely to attend. Feel free to email me off-line (I dont want to clog this string with responses to this request).

I have a Sailing Commitee meeting this Thursday so I'll try to confirm dates then but it's likely to be July the 16th/17th.

Cheers
Mr. Ben
RYA Training Principal- Thames Sailing Club
Merlin Rocket Star 1842 'Emmeline'
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd be more likely to attend, Ben. Loved it 2 years ago, was sad I could only do one day. Even sadder I couldn't get there this year.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

As with Rupert it was just the way dates worked out that prevented us attending. If we've a more reliable camper van next year then we'd like to do two days as it's quite a hassle travelling-unpacking-sailing-packing-travelling in one day. But I can see both views and keeping it flexible is ideal.
chris

Post by chris »

Ben, we'd come again and probably stay the two days...couldn't miss the evening party!
Chris and Lois
Peter H

Post by Peter H »

I'm currently in France and have missed some of the recent forum.

Menai Straights Fortnight

Many of the boats racing are older than the CVRDA boats, although most are like my father's cricket bat, two handles and three blades and as good as the day he bought it!.

There are two, not very well supported, handicap dinghy classes although the two special races do have a better turn out. The format goes something like this. Monday and Tuesday, races starting at the Beaumaris end. Then, on Wednesday, the "Through Race", from Beaumaris to Caenarfon, one of Edwards Castles to another, under the two historic bridges, and through the dreaded Swellies. Then Thursday and Friday at Caenarfon, then Saturday at Port Dinorwic or Y Fellinheli for the purists for two races. On Sunday Red Wharf Bay will run the famous "Anglesey Offshore Dinghy Race" from Beaumaris to Traeth Bychan, 15 miles.and I will be Race Officer.
The second week starts are all at Beaumaris with the Tuesday being Round Puffin Island.

Fantastic scenary, lots of campsites, B&Bs Hotels. Decent roads to Ynys Mon, one race a day bar PD. Regular competitors include Albacores, Ents, Mirrors.
On the Through Race you will be passed by Mersey Milnes, Royal Anglesey Fifes, West Kirby Stars, Conway One Designs, Hilbres, Liverpool Bay Falcons, may be Seabird Half Raters, most of which are pre war designs.

No special arrangements needed to join the dinghy fleets, which tend to start together, and I'm sure the Regatta Sec, David Challinor who can be reached on email at aodr@btinternet.co.uk could arrange the abstraction of results with CVRDA handicaps.

Also

I, too, missed the Thames event due to clash of dates, and would like to return to the site of two important capsizes in my sailing career. First, my first ever, a Heron in a London Sea Scout regatta, and the other, almost closing the river with a borrowed Thames Rater.

Finally

I sailed this years Round Sheppey, (see Y&Y forum for details) and Pocket Battleship requires repairs to bow, foredeck, Rudder head, Tiller, transom Flaps, Helmsman. So it really is a test of boat seaworthyness, and is 40 miles, so a test (which I failed) of fitness.

PeterH

Solo3202 Pocket Battleship
Unit 7
3 Mirrors
Topper
Open Canadian
Steve Bailey

Post by Steve Bailey »

Peter
Saw your boat at Sheppey, I was in the Albacore - the only varnished boat in the village - and it was a right old slog. Talk about windy, we knocked an hour off last year's time, mainly from planing for about 10 miles straight after the start. Great fun but scary in places.
Sorry the admin dept, nothing much to do with 2011 events!
All the best
Steve
A 195
A 5881
F 2125
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

[quote="Rupert"]
a river event for Pat's idea of a tiny boat event, where we all bring the little tubs that have been hiding in the back garden (time to buy one if you don't have one already - they are cheap and make great planters afterwards!).

How about Chippenham again, we are certainly tiny enough. :lol:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Chippenham would be fun for this, if enough people are interested. Can't see it as an official racing event, just an event where we come along bringing our tenders behind! Obviously, once there we will have cut throat competition to see whether a Bobbin is faster than a Puffin or a Snark...
Rupert
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

Advantage - won't get masts stuck in the trees.
Disadvantage - banks so high no wind inthe sails.

Anyway we arn't THAT small a river.