2011 events

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

2011 events

Post by Rupert »

Now the nights are drawing in, it is time to start planning for our 2011 events.

I hope we now have a Nationals venue for August (details when fully confirmed) and we have several Open venues, I hope, to sort out dates for.

These are

Bristol Avon - Andy E
Hunts - Nessa
Banbury (new 2011) - Tim Merlin 1066 (Pat/Chris have you contact?)
Roadford (2nd May B/H?) - Alan
Clywedog - Keith R
Tamar River (so Ed doesn't need a trailer...)
Baltic Wharf?
Nottingham - Peter V
Bough Beech - Trevor C
The names are people who I know to be involved off the top of my head, who may be able to get things moving and give me the correct contacts, please, if different!
Rupert
Rupert

Re: 2011 events

Post by Rupert »

And, as Trevor has just kindly reminded me, Bough Beech.

Seems to me we have some stunning possible venues, but anyone wishing to put on an event, please let me know!
Rupert
keithr

Post by keithr »

Hi Rupert

Count us in.

As visitors usually want to prolong their stay to take advantage of our welcome hospitality
it is probably best to use a Bank Holiday weekend or School Hols.

That gives us Early May or Whitsun (Easter too windy and cold, just like August!!!).

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think Roadford is Whitsun? Alan can confirm, I'm sure. Early May certainly possible, though it could still be a bit early in the year?
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Clywedog has always been best in summer, so how about at the beginning of the summer school holidays and then people can take time off if they want to stay extra and teachers and children are on holiday anyway.
roger

Post by roger »

Is Shearwater having a year off? There was some some agreement to alternate with BA.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think Banbury's Classic Merlin event is at a similar time (?) so if they are going to do a cvrda event, it might be at Shearwater's expense. However, I would be quite happy to see Shearwater running a classics event - I'm just aware we want to not have too many events, and we want to spread our wings a little.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Let's get Banbury sorted then worry about whether we have a Shearwater event. With Bristol Avon and Whitefriars and possibly Baltic Wharf, we're well catered for already.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Apart from helping WSC to run its event I hesitate to ask anyone else to organise one - - but will we be able to have a salty water event in 2010?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It would be nice, wouldn't it? Especially for the Skua! Trouble is, we are in a pattern where we don't have sea sailors coming, therefore don't have sea events, therefore don't have sea sailors coming, therefore...you get the picture. Best way round this I can see is to join in with an existing sea regatta somewhere not too far from the bulk of members, or somewhere really, really nice. A week event causes too much disruption, which reduces numbers (doesn't mean we can't have members go and do them if they want, maind) so a weekend regatta event willing to host a classics start.

Any ideas? Netley was nice...

So could be good to get a sea event for the big boats to stretch their legs, (I'll be looking for a crewing job!) a river event for Pat's idea of a tiny boat event, where we all bring the little tubs that have been hiding in the back garden (time to buy one if you don't have one already - they are cheap and make great planters afterwards!).

This already sounds better than a list of pretty much identikit opens where you know that the format will be the same every time. Any more ideas? Tamar river cruise/long distance race, Ed?
Rupert
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I like the idea of RTI - Wight or Sheppey.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

There are various long-distance and off-shore dinghy events that would really fit the bill.

I used to try and do as many of these as I could, they are nearly always great fun.....I am sure most would give us room or a 'start', but who would come:

Off top of head:

As well as Sheppey RTI, we have a ton in the South West:

Portishead to Pill - Fantastic race - made the news a few years ago when the whole fleet got wiped out on the mouth of the Avon, but no-one lost :-) I did it the following year and numbers were a little down....but the stories 'up'.

Cleveden Long Distance Race - Another goodie, bit longer and a bit more offshore.

Thornbury do one or two down to wales and back.

Cothele to Cawsand on the Tamar - done this twice - great fun! The hardy do it the other way the night before and camp at Cothele before coming back in the race.

Plymouth to Noss Mayo race: Won this year by an IC. Rumour has it the record is held by Big Al in a Big Cat. Never done it, but would love to take the Jollyboat.

Looe Round the Island - a Favourite for the Redwing fleet. Not done it - tried, but couldn't get the Jollyboat through the centre of town.

And of course all the 'classic weeks'.

People have been against this in the past......but we were offered a start at Fowey Regatta once a few years ago.....and I had a contact at Dartmouth Classic Regatta once. The Tideways all used to go to Plymouth Classic Week and loved it.

So there are plenty of opportunities.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Would the Tamar race fit in with a possible cvrda trip down anyway?
Rupert
andye

Post by andye »

Ed

Taking the Merc, along with Bob C and Merc 88 to do the Clevedon Channel race next weekend, usually a good race but long!!
Andy

OK 1429
Mercury 101
Mirror 14 703
Pat

Post by Pat »

Taking the Merc, along with Bob C and Merc 88 to do the Clevedon Channel race next weekend,
Is that Saturday or Sunday Andy?