Bosham Classic Boat Revival update

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: Bosham Classic Boat Revival update

Post by Rupert »

A report would be great Michael, thank you. If you send it to Pat, she can put it on the front page.

Saturday was very strong wind against tide. Even boats with real bows were struggling to get through the tacks - in the Minisail I was stopping dead. In the end, the constant yanking on the tiller could only have one end...it snapped. An afternoon in Homebase carpark saw a new, very graceful tiller back on, and out for a rather more successful day on Sunday, though crossing the startline in the first race was almost impossible for even some of the faster boats!

Big thanks to Bosham - can we come again next year?
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

By the way, congratulations to Shoestring, Roger's Hornet, for winning the pretty boat prize against the stiffist opposition ever seen at an event, beating an immaculate 12 sqM Sharpie into 2nd.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Very welcoming and hospitable club with more clinker and varnish than I've ever seen in one place before!
Saturday though, we were glad to have taken the plastic Albacore as we slammed into the waves in the strong winds and then literally went "in at the deep end" ploughing the mud with the mast by a buoy marked "Deep End".
Sunday saw us cross the startline at least five times in race 1, then the wind strengthened a little and we had good start in race two, apart from the big motor cruiser who decided the pin of the startline was en route just as we were starting and nearly ran us down as we came to the pin with boats below us, only slamming it into reverse and turning away when we yelled at him.
Race three took us on a harbour tour through the goalposts and up Thorney? creek - really a pleasant cruise.

The hosts were wonderful and so welcoming. We parked the camper in someone's drive and Rupert had the restored shepherd's hut in the veg plot - very Granny Aching! The only hassle was getting the boat and van in and out of the club but now we know the layout we can plan it better next time. And there will be a next time.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Tim and Suzanne, who were sailing a Tideway at the event, were indeed wonderful hosts, and fans of Terry Pratchett!
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

chris

Post by chris »

Looks a great time was had by all with quite a lot of swimming.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Wonderful event.

only now need to work out how to get my 'forgotten' kit-bag back again!!!

Courier I guess.....anybody have any recommendations for a good cheap courier who will pick up a kit-bag full of smelly wet sailing-kit?

Hopefully will post more later.

House in chaos as builders are in and electricity off most of time.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Ed, if it doen't start to walk home on its own before, I will be in the Bosham area on the 9th July so could pick it up or at least chase and try to catch it....
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed wrote:Wonderful event.

only now need to work out how to get my 'forgotten' kit-bag back again!!!

Courier I guess.....anybody have any recommendations for a good cheap courier who will pick up a kit-bag full of smelly wet sailing-kit?

cheers

eib
Hi Ed, I am over there most weeks and can maybe send it/bring it down to an event.

(If I keep it in the back garden I'm hoping it will keep the grass down. Just hope it doesn't take a shine to the perennials.)

Roger, as our resident DEFRA expert, will this be legal or does it need a licence. I'm worried it might drive off, or even worse, breed with the badgers!
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There was a different batch of photos being shown on Sunday than those which are up on the BSC site - has anyone heard whether they are planning on putting any more up, or who to contact about them?
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Jonothan Hoare has some but I dont think he has a gallery/website as such. I mentioned you might be interested in some of your boat. jonathon.hoare9@gmail.com
There were a lot of pics taken of the concourse but I think "Classic Boat" are holding on to them for an article.

I know he took one of me grinning whilst on the centre board. More like a grimace I reckon :cry:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I like that sharpie, looks a real handful in a blow. don't ess to many of them around these days. There used to be an active fleet up here in Abersoch [many many years ago]. Never came across any old'uns stored away either.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Obscured by clouds wrote:

I like that sharpie, looks a real handful in a blow. don't ess to many of them around these days. There used to be an active fleet up here in Abersoch [many many years ago]. Never came across any old'uns stored away either.
https://picasaweb.google.com/boshamsail ... 8737575874

Apparently (I heard this from a Bosham member :wink: ) he does get through his crews, so if you like playing with buckets I would get in touch!
Michael Brigg
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Nick Gates who did the 'Getting Afloat' series on TV a few years ago still had the Sharpie he restored on the prog last time I walked past his yard at Prinsted; has he ever sailed in the CBR event? When I were a lad there were two main Sharpie fleets in the UK, one in north Norfolk and the other at Langstone, but they've all vanished now.

That replica of the Arthur Ransome 'Swallow' in the Sunday pics looks beautiful; does anyone know the history, if any?

Paul M
JB9

Post by JB9 »

When in Norfolk a couple of years ago we visited Overy Staithe SC and they have a Sharpie fleet. I also saw a couple at Brancaster.

http://www.overystaithesc.org.uk/result ... ml#sharp11
Harrier 25
505 7163