Roadford next year

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

Post by chris »

CVRDA Roadford 06?

The Committee of the CVRDA has been giving thought to the Annual Regatta for next year 2006

Our thinking at the moment is not conclusive and would depend upon the feedback we get from this forum thread.

Following on from a brief discussion at the AGM held at Roadford on August 29th 2005 we can summarize the position like this...

1)Roadford as a venue for 2006 can only happen if a committed group of members, under a 'co-ordinator' are prepared to organise an event there.

2) some committee members are asking whether Roadford remains the only suitable venue. Is it time to look elsewhere?. Roadford certainly has a good following but for some potential participants it is a long way out of the way. Would a venue in a different part of the country attract new people that have not made the trek to the Devon/Cornwall border?

Please make your thoughts known and please offer your services if you are able to help.

A few facts and figures...

For the last two years over forty boats have been at the Roadford Regatta.

80-100 Campers.

All the people involved in the organisation are volunteer members of the CVRDA (and are there to enjoy the racing too!).

Some of the team from this year have expressed a wish to stand down next year.

Roadford has good space for camping (but limited loos etc)

Roadford has no other main event on at that weekend so that our racing is not combined with a large club fleet etc.

Roadford charge us for launching.

A decision needs to be made by Christmas.

So...

Please ask questions

Offer your services.

Discuss

<i>from the committee</i>
Mark

Post by Mark »

My 2 cents
The prospect of flogging down the M4/5 on August Bank Holiday weekend fills me with horror (which is why I have never been), but how many other venues could and would cope with that size of fleet and campers.
Inland
Northampton
Burghfield
Stewartby
Rutland
Bewl
Hunts
Dorchester (not sure about camping)
Whitefriars (crowded?)

Salt Water
Take your pick, but you will still have the traffic to contend with.
Offer of help...Yes (both of us)providing I change my job, I am scheduled to be working all weekend
Mark and Karen
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Pat

Post by Pat »

Northampton and Stewartby would probably be busy with club events but are good. I've camped at Stewartby and it's a great club (cats allowed too!) but, like Roadford, there are few loos and access to the loos is only when the clubhouse is open though they left it all night for us as they have a security gate which requires a pass to enter and exit.
Its unlikely we'd be able to camp before/after the event as at Roadford and cars cannot go by the tents, although you could get some caravans on the grass. There aren't any proper pitches or hookups, just the grass around the entrance and clubhouse.
It would be a great weekend venue but perhaps not the Bank Holiday that many of us extend into a longer break and take the opportunity to travel on quieter days.

Roadford is a lovely venue and it is easy camping, being organised and official and worth staying longer. Wimbleball belongs to the same trust - is that an option?

Grafham Water near Cambridge has a camping area too and is huge. I only stopped there briefly on a journey but it looked good.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Wimbleball is a lovely place, odd winds and no clubside camping, however the campsite is right next door. the slip way is rather steep, but the sailing area is big, and odd shaped. Once again a local contact would be needed? And it's notthe easiest place to get too. I've supernovered there and had a nice time.:D
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
keithr

Post by keithr »

The offer made at the AGM is still open to change Clywedog early August to the Bank Hol instead of Roadford.

Advantages

1 We can devote whole weekend to CVRDA as no other event scheduled.

2 Clubhouse will be fully renovated and working. Plenty of Showers,loos,cooking facilities.

3 Plenty of camping/caravan space with overflow on top field above Clywedog with panoramic view of lake. plenty of B & B in locality

4 Cost of whole weekend around £10.00 to include entry and camping. You can come early and stay late at a nominal extra cost.

5 800 acres of water with the facility for a 1 mile long leg if you want or are brave enough. !!!!! . We can accomodate boats up to 23ft, moorings available, so cats, dragons, fd's, thamnes raters( now I am getting silly).

6 We have enough volunteers to organise everything , though help is always appreciated on results and prizes.

7 In house catering, snacks etc available all weekend.

8 Only a couple of hours from Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol. No motorway slog once the CVRDA faithfull from the South West have crossed the Severn it is alovely run up the Chepstow valley to Hereford and into mid wales on quiet roads( Only took me 5hrs to get back from Roadford on the Monday night).

Dont take my word for it take a look http://www.clywedogsailing.org.uk/

Disadvantages

We may be short of beach space if a wet summer and Severn Trent havent let any water out.

We would need to promote event though by looking at fresh faces at recent events I think we have enough keen members to make a good weekend.

As I said the offer is there.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Mark

Post by Mark »

Clywedog sounds perfect....fancy hosting the British Moth Nationals one year
Mark
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Personally I thik that the 2006 event at Roadford, if possible needs to go ahead. By the time 2006's event is up and running people will be aware of how it all went, and therefore whether or not a B/H event in 2007 should be at Roadford. And then we should look at another venue.

To change it from Roadford to another location for 2006 would need a serious amount of promotion to ensure that folks did not just turn up at Roadford expecting the event, just have they may have done for the past 4 years or so.

Roadford this year, was good. Keiths offer and advantages are VERY tempting, my only concern is camping space, and whilst the offer of the overflow field is great, how flat is it, and how far to the toilets?

We obviously need to look at all options not only for next year but for the years after that.

Blimey, that sounds like serious organisation !!
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
keithr

Post by keithr »

to continue

Publicity. This needs to be addressed as you say Stu with a drip feed of information from Christmas onwards to all the yachting publications and posters and info to all Clubs. If Clywedog were chosen I would take it on to get as much info as possible out ther.

Overflow field is just above Club house and flat at top by Gate, toilets can be hired if we feel the need but we have hosted events of 40 boats in the past with no probs.

As this is an internet based organisation we should be able to make all aware of where and when events are so we need to update website much more frequently than at present as according to the home page the next event is June 2005!!!!.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Sunbird
Pat

Post by Pat »

The home page was one of the reasons I offered to help with the web site. Once Stu has handed things on it will be my first priority as it's our face to the public!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Pat, I ended up with the BM site for the same reasons
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

i think that we cant lose the roadford event it is great and big enough for big boats anywhere will be busy on a Aug bank holiday okj the toilets arnt great but couldnt the clywedog event be put on trial as such so see how many we get and how good the new club house is
i mean it would be good to keep one event as the original or older cvrda event (sorry dont no the history!)
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The clywedog event could be pushed harder this year on the date it is on as a forrunner to Roadford with the thought of it taking over in 2007? might encourage more people to explore uncharted waters?
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

I think that 2006 should see an overlap. Roadford should carry on for next year but with another large venue ...Clywedog or Brightlingsee?...pushed as an important event that would take over the following year.
Roadford has it followers, unfortunately quite a few that come to Roadford don't attend other meetings throughout the year. Any new 'main' event might take a couple of years to get the same sort of following. It's bound to be a win some-loose some situation.
keithr

Post by keithr »

I take on board the views that Roadford is established but it maybe that there is a bit of Head in Sand attitude.

Roadford was the natural to begin with but we now have a wider base from which we are drawing so it is a natural progression that we should look at other venues, most Dinghy Class associations move there main event annually, why shouldnt the CVRDA???.

If Clywedog took on main event it would free a date up in early August or at least thin the calendar out a bit which is possibly not a bad thing.

On a personal note I too find it a long way for just a weekend to go to Roadford ( That would not stop me going, it is just an observation).

There must be some more opinions and input out there, lets see some new submissions and comment, its too late once the decision is made to come upwith " I wish it was still at Roadford" or "why didnt we approach Grafham".

I am trying to provoke a reaction here, the more input the better the committee can decide what we should do.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Sunbird
chris

Post by chris »

You're quite right Keith. So anyone reading this please click the 'Reply to Topic' button and make a comment. especially those who have never made a comment before or never attended a rally. We want to know what we need to do to get you to turn up! The CVRDA is for ALL with elderly dinghies.