Bosham event Race instructions etc

Chat about CVRDA events
Michael Brigg

Bosham event Race instructions etc

Post by Michael Brigg »

There's probably a few special instructions but its well worth printing off/laminating this chart as a reference

http://www.boshamsailingclub.com/d11/Ha ... un2011.pdf

Also racing instructions and courses (worth looking at to get a feel for the kind of stuff we will be doing.

http://www.boshamsailingclub.com/index. ... 72c8c669b1

I dont think we'll be using inflatables, but it is possible.
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Re: Bosham event Race instructions etc

Post by Rupert »

Useful map, thanks! Bet I still get lost...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert follow me..... :twisted:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I nearly hit the goal posts in Thorney Channel a few years ago while trapezing. Boat speed plus about 3Kts of tide stream caused a closing speed MUCH faster than I estimated....

j./
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not sure the Minisail does 3 knots, so against the tide should be a giggle...
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert wrote:Not sure the Minisail does 3 knots, so against the tide should be a giggle...
HINT...

:idea: The 3-5knots is in the centre of the channel. The shallower you go the less the current. Those in the know can even find eddies!

Most of the skill in Chichester Harbour is in Mud skipping.

This is quite easy when running, but becomes especially amusing in a tight fleet short tacking against the tide on shallow shelving mud. Just how far do you dare to go, and will you get caught out by a spit.

Lifting your rudder is illegal, but sometimes by heeling right over you can get enough out of the water to creep over a shallow obstruction.

A swinging plate is a big advantage, as Dagger tend to dig in and stop completely the moment you touch the putty. Very amusing! :lol:
Michael Brigg
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Michael Brigg wrote:
Rupert wrote:Not sure the Minisail does 3 knots, so against the tide should be a giggle...
HINT...
The shallower you go the less the current. Those in the know can even find eddies!
We were broad reaching, three sails, 5 blokes, Laser Stratos, and it was springs.. also the current by that post was definitely not parallel to the channel, but was lifting us up as if it was running towards the shallows. Its a place where local knowledge would be a good idea. If I was there, my plan would be to follow Michael everywhere spilling wind/ trailing a mud weight or whatever and then just to sheet in and power past him on the last leg to the line at the end.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

jpa_wfsc wrote: If I was there, my plan would be to follow Michael everywhere spilling wind/ trailing a mud weight or whatever and then just to sheet in and power past him on the last leg to the line at the end.
Keeping a Firefly in sight when sailing the Minisail could be the problem...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Code: Select all

Lifting your rudder is illegal
Question of rules here:

I understand it is illegal to sail with your rudder not fully down (in many classes inc Firefly)...

but is it illegal to remove it to get clear of a bank or other obstruction?

So what happens if you pick up a mooring line? If you have to remove your rudder, does that mean that you 'should' retire - or at least open yourself to chance of protest?

which brings me to another question.... we are sailing amongst many moored boats. As a rule are most of them on swinging moorings....or are there many on 'fore-and-aft' lines.

We have that at Saltash (the Trotts) and you have to be careful as if you cross between two boats, you can easily find yourself in a channel between moored boats, that you can't get out of till the very end.

Should I dig out my rudder-clearing stick?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

I'm pretty sure we'll only encounter boats on swinging moorings and I presume most of the racing will be in the main part of the harbour anyway so no need to worry.

Incidentally, further up the harbour it's common practice to lift rudder blades to sail into the shallows when there's very little wind (in anything stronger than a drifter it's not worth it). However, from the forecasts I'm currently seeing drifting is unlikely to be an issue this weekend!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 & 14463
roger

Post by roger »

hhmmm Shoestring only has a fixed rudder. :?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

yeah.......jollyboat too....

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
whacko!

Post by whacko! »

OK; not a problem. Upwind simply tack if the board touches (since the bottom is mud you'll feel it rather than hear it). Downwind keep an eye out for the posts marking the start of the mud flats and don't stray too far inside the line between them.

Even if you should touch bottom with the rudder blade the mud saves the day as there is plenty of 'give'. That said, there are occasional sandy spits and similar dotted around though so it's best to play safe and tack early if you're in any doubt at all. There will also be plenty of boats from neighbouring clubs sailing nearby so you'll be able to take a cue from them.

Given the diversity of dinghies in Chi Harbour, you can be absolutely certain there will be many boats out there with fixed rudders!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 & 14463
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

whacko! wrote:I'm pretty sure we'll only encounter boats on swinging moorings and I presume most of the racing will be in the main part of the harbour anyway so no need to worry.

Incidentally, further up the harbour it's common practice to lift rudder blades to sail into the shallows when there's very little wind (in anything stronger than a drifter it's not worth it). However, from the forecasts I'm currently seeing drifting is unlikely to be an issue this weekend!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 & 14463
The racing is to happen in the main part of the harbour, where there are, as noted, no moorings. The tide will be flooding during the afternoon. If the prevailing South westerlies blow, this means mud skipping up wind, and the ever challenging question of when to cut the tide to lay the mark.

Lifting your rudder to sail over shallows is definately against the rules. If you find yourself in a "pocket," you must either turn back or if you can sail over it by lying the boat over on its side, that is allowed. (but you may then find yourself blown onto a lee shore, so it is a risky option.)

We may have to speak to the PRO about spinnakers which they usually dont use in the classic dayboats, but I believe this is open to negotiation.

Keel boats are allowed to push of if they run aground, but its a bit like golf if you drop your ball back on the fairway, you cannot do it in a manner that gains you ground. The same principle applies to lifting your rudder. It is permitted to prevent damage, but if used in a manner to gain an advantage, it would merit a DQ, or if done, a retirement. (There might in some cases be a penalty option.)

The pre race talk will be very important as there are a number of rules you need to know. Things like keeping out of the East Head anchorage, (unless you want the Harbourmaster after you) "fixed" obstructions, (eg The Goal posts, Stakes island bird sanctuary, Pilsey nature reserve "Standard" courses etc.

I hope to be there on Friday PM and will be happy to impart secrets in a manner that ensures the handicapping is fair! :twisted:

Michael
Michael Brigg
whacko!

Post by whacko! »

"Lifting your rudder to sail over shallows is definately against the rules. If you find yourself in a "pocket," you must either turn back or if you can sail over it by lying the boat over on its side, that is allowed. (but you may then find yourself blown onto a lee shore, so it is a risky option.)"

Well, if I ever knew that one then I've long since forgotten it! Bad habits have obviously crept in at DQ!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 & 14463