Fixtures 2012

Chat about CVRDA events
Pat

Re: Fixtures 2012

Post by Pat »

Looking forward to it Graham! I can help with handicaps and results too.

Baltic Wharf said they would like us back the same weekend next year which I make the 17th November.

Roger, you've put them down for April but don't you mean Bristol Avon there?
roger

Post by roger »

Pat I havent heard from Bristol Avon.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We did say originally that we would move the Spring Bristol area meeting around a bit, so after a couple of years at BASC, and maybe a slight lack of interest from them to do another, it is time to move. If BWSC want it, then why not?

My only suggestion would be that we ask them to change the format a little, to make it different to the Autumn?

To me, the Head of the Harbour race is what makes the venue special - the round the cans at the bottom end along side the club boats is rather too crowded, and could be done anywhere. I'd like to see us all go back up the harbour again for other races, making use of the unique venue. Maybe 2 races based on cvrda handicaps for one prize, followed by a pursuit based (loosely?) on the actual results of those races on the water. So (for example) a Firefly and a British Moth might have fairly slow handicaps for the 1st 2 races, but end up starting last in the Pursuit, being well suited to the conditions on the day. So it would take both boat type and sailing skill in wierd places into account.
Rupert
Mr. Ben

Post by Mr. Ben »

Sorry for the complete silence for months. The priority at Thames has been fighting the development up river which, if it goes ahead will ruin the stretch of river that was the reason that the club was sited there in 1870. At the same time the classic Merlin fleet based at Thames just keeps on growing and now boasts 10-15 wooden Merlins either regularly sailed this season or in preparation for next season.

With that in mind, whilst everyone at Thames loves hosting the CVRDA event, my huge enthusiasm for the mixed classic open event isn't equalled by anyone else at the club (Merlin events are taking priority) so it falls to me every year to champion the Vintage regatta. So, given the falling attendances of visitors over the last couple of years, I've decided to do a Micheal Eavis and take a year off. The club will still hold an open regatta so any visitors will still be made welcome (I know the Leader folks in particular like to make the event a fixture in their calendar). I'll make sure dates and arrangements are posted on the CVRDA website.

Hope to see you all at some of the other great events in 2012 - My New Years resolution is to make CVRDA away events my priority next year - not enough planing on the river!
Mr. Ben
RYA Training Principal- Thames Sailing Club
Merlin Rocket Star 1842 'Emmeline'
kfz

Post by kfz »

Hi guys, Are you going to Clywedog this year?

Kev
roger

Post by roger »

Kev, I havent had confirmation but 11th & 12th August have been suggested.

Will 47 be ready for the Holt Centenary?

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
keithr

Post by keithr »

P1000107.JPG
Sorry folks, confirmed Clywedog 11/12 aug,

Just for your delight we went to Xmas cadet regatta in Pwhelli on Sunday. Atrocious roads but a fantastic day see 2 pics attached. Yes that was snow on the mountains but wall -wall sunshine and force 3 perfect!!!!!!!!!.

Off topic and none I know but it was an event.

Merry Christmas all
Attachments
P1000106.JPG
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

good to see you've painted targets on them!
Rupert
keithr

Post by keithr »

We count them in and back out!!!!
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Sunbird
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

hey that's my beach [and quite possibly my dog :lol: ]. Possibly the best and least frequented beach on th peninsula.

Atrocious roads? I think not, unless you count the ones down Clywedog way. New Porthmadog by pass, new road Pwllheli - Cricieth.

Brilliant sailing waters when you get here.

It's not all bad
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
kfz

Post by kfz »

roger wrote:Kev, I havent had confirmation but 11th & 12th August have been suggested.

Will 47 be ready for the Holt Centenary?

Rog

Rog,
Not sure Im going to Wraybury. Though I think some of the other GP guys are.

Id like to think so but being realistic I dont know. Weather is going to hold me up. aiming to do Notingham (probably with 4250 again), and like the look of Keilder and Clywedog.

Kev
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Obscured by clouds wrote:Brilliant sailing waters when you get here.
Absolutely. And I think you'd have to go to the Scottish Isles to get a comparable backdrop. Sailed my boat twice there this year. Once launching from Cricieth and later a two hour combined race against cruisers with the windward mark off Shell Island and leeward mark off Harlech. Brilliant :)
Best wishes

SB
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

SoggyBadger wrote:
Obscured by clouds wrote:Brilliant sailing waters when you get here.
Absolutely. And I think you'd have to go to the Scottish Isles to get a comparable backdrop. Sailed my boat twice there this year. Once launching from Cricieth and later a two hour combined race against cruisers with the windward mark off Shell Island and leeward mark off Harlech. Brilliant :)
In my soling days the race officers at Madoc YC managed to set the Shell Island buoy in water so shallow that many went aground :roll: . Those 'in the know' just pulled the plate up until they could get around. protests achieved nothing.

Biggest problem with Porthmadog is the bar. Get caught outside on a dropping tide with wind anywhere but from the north, and you are in for an hours sail over to pwllheli, or if it you get it wrong, a world of hurt.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

roger wrote: 24th/25th March Whitefriars spring warm up training.
April tbc Baltic Wharf spring event
early May tbc Keilder
19th/20thMay Nottingham,
26th/27th May West Riding 75th Anniversary
9th June Hunts
16th/17th June Roadford
first or second weekend July tbc Holt centennial
25th 26th 27th August cvrda Nationals Bough Beech
22nd/23rd September Bosham Classic revival
6th/7th October Shearwater
How fixed are these fixtures? I may well try to bring a boat to Whitefrars, though I don't know what. Any suggestions? ToY Moff Kestrel (if the trailer will carry it and I have a crew), cherub (if the floor is done and there is a crew) possibly Aggie, though not keen on dragging him/her that far. Willing to take local novice crews if need be! The same applies to Nottingahm, though her indoors might be tempted out.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
keithr

Post by keithr »

Roger you missed Clywedog, confirmed 11/12 August.

We will have the Old Gaffers that weekend as well.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Sunbird