Coaching/racing weekend at Whitefriars in the early spring

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: Coaching/racing weekend at Whitefriars in the early spri

Post by Rupert »

Glad the boat is easily repairable, Steve.

Hint on the centre main - put it as far forwards as is practical. I noticed Roger had moved his forwards, and I put the one I had on 633 years ago so far forwards it was almost like pulling a jib in! Leverage is the only problem, of course, but being able to tack without moving aft makes it much nicer.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Why don't british moths sheet straight off the boom?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Thanks to Rupert, John and Roger Witts and all helpers for their coaching and general getting us all back into sailing.
The weather was glorious with enough wind to be pleasant without being challenging and it was lovely to see a good turnout and a bustling club. It was a friendly and interesting weekend with quite a variety of boats - Aquabat, Beachcomber, varied Minisails and Moths especially. Good to meet everyone too and put faces to forum names.
We now have a list of what we need to sort out on the boat, especially the un-cleating main halyard and the tiller that comes apart mid race (a loose nut on it maybe??). :D
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

jpa_wfsc wrote:Why don't british moths sheet straight off the boom?
The mainsheet is used to control sail shape, especially twist, in the very tall, narrow rig, and I suspect boom sheeting would compromise this, meaning the kicker would need to be adjusted constantly.

Are you picturing it Laser style but without the last block in the boat, as the Minisails were? It would certainly open the boat up.

Much of the time it is done "because that is how it is done". Someone will try it one day, maybe, win things, and then everyone will follow!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

All,

The centre main conversion we are doing is along the boom and is the same as fitted to Chris's old Cadet. I.e. starting from the stern, we have a block with a becket on the boom where the main sheet will be spliced to, and a block tied to a yoke fixed to the stern. We will get a 2:1 advantage there, then the maninsheet will go along the boom to another block, then down to a ratchet block that is afixed to the centreboard case, either side of the slot, just aft of the low inner tank, by two rope loops - this is to clear our rather broad centre board. This way we spread the load of the centre main - i.e not all on the centreboard case.

The centre board is another thing we need to look at, as it is broad and straight. However, since it with only ever be 2/3 deployed, it can wait till next with before I take the jig saw to it.
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Another video from the event (I am splicing together some class based videos...).
This one features the two Mirrors, of Meg Andrews, Charlie Whelan and Will Hopes

And This one, the modern two person dinghies taking part.
http://youtu.be/-C012hNPrKs[/youtube]
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.