CVRDA at Shearwater

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

CVRDA at Shearwater

Post by chris »

Shearwater Vintage day Saturday 12th May,
Welcome to all boats built before 1985 and designed before 1965. The CVRDA handicap system will be used for mixed racing and the Vintage Merlins will also be racing for their De May travellers series.
The coveted Cotton Sail Challenge Trophy will also be awarded to the first boat with cotton sails.
Cost for the day £8, (includes the 'Shearwater Tea')
briefing at 10.45 followed by three races.

You are also invited to join in the Open Regatta the next day:

Sunday
First race at 11.00am
Entrance £8, £5 members.
This is open to all dinghies old and new. Various prizes and to celebrate Jack Holt's centenary there will be an addition award to the first Holt designed boat.

Holt designed the Mirror, Enterprise, GP 14, Cadet, Solo, Mirror 16, Hornet, Streaker, Jacksnipe, some International 14s, some Merlin Rockets, Some National 12s and others.
Rupert

Re: CVRDA at Shearwater

Post by Rupert »

The weather for the weekend is looking better than it has for a while - we might get lucky!

Roger, the back is feeling much better, so if your offer of the Moth is still there for Sunday, I'm up for it!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I will leave the sail and rudder in the club house for you and leave the boat unlocked just close the padlock when you have finished.

She is on space 39. Leave big tree on your left and the last space before a gap on left. Hope you make her go better than I did on Tuesday night. Have fun
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Roger!
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

All at Shearwater.

I was hoping to come down tonight from Swindon with my daughter and N12 Planet.

Would I be able to park up at the club with my campervan and sleep over?

I promise not to play any loud music or keep the fishermen awake?

It just saves me having an early morning rushed start.

Cheers

Steve H

It was a close call - its all I could do to leave the new N12 Sparkle at home.
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
chris

Post by chris »

Stephen, I'll pm you.
Podolski

Post by Podolski »

Is there anything/anyone around saturday night?
chris

Post by chris »

yes I'm sure there will be some takers for a pub meal.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Thanks all for a great weekend.

Even if 'Shearwater' was playing its usual tricks.

Sorry we had to bale out early today.

Katy was asleep before we got to Warminster and stayed that way till we arrived home.

So much for helping with the Navigation!

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The weather today at Shearwater was lovely, and by Shearwater standards, the wind was pretty good, with areas of the course where you could sit on the deck (not sit out, of course, that would be uncooth...) and actually sail in a straight line for a hundred yards!

Other parts of the lake made up for it, of course!

Thank you for the loan of your boat, Roger! Firstly, an apology - I misjudged someing ashore on time, and scraped the bottom of your rudder - it will need a little sand paper and a smear of varnish, I'm afraid. Sorry!

I didn't touch any bits of string - far too many! - apart from the kicker, and I think I turned the rachet block on and off more than I adjusted that, but the boat seems to go OK, just not really to a modern yardstick... there might be the odd weight issue! Did 2 races before deciding that my back had had enough, which was enough to get 3rd overall and 1st Medium handicap boat, but Chris Mulholland in his Rooster rigged Laser was unstoppable, and I'm sad to say that Sandy and Pat also beat me... the shame...

Ta muchly to Chris and Lois for all they did in running the day, and to Jack, the RO, for setting all those wonderful gybes - it was great fun!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

hmmm dont worry Rupert the only two times someone else has sailed that boat they have scraped the rudder. Steve winter got there first!!!! so its not a problem. Did you think she was pointing ok?

Yes Chris is pretty quick in that boat now. I did beat him a week or so ago but he found a hole to sit in while we sailed by.

So who won first Holt boat?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Colin Singer in his Ent.

Yes, she was pointing fine, though with the wind being different just yards apart, it is difficult to be totally certain. In the race where Colin and I were joined by invisible elastic, there didn't seem any difference in pointing between the 2 boats, though. But then I was pinching like hell as soon as any wind filled in.
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Just to add to the thanks for a great weekend at Shearwater. Excellent lunches/tea as usual - and wonderful hospitality. AND you even organised the weather for us. I have two knees glowing like red traffic lights but grand to see the sun after the recent weather.
chris

Post by chris »

Great to see all our visitors, thanks for coming. I'll write a quick report soon.
As you can tell wind was not good on saturday much better on sunday. about 15 or 16 boats each day.