Bosham Classic Boat Revival

Chat about CVRDA events
JimC

Re: Bosham Classic Boat Revival

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote:Certainly some of the boats that I saw would have gotten in to all sorts of problems in the conditions we had a few years back when the CVRDA Nationals were hosted at Netley,
This is a major problem for any sea based event, and its why I won't consider one. As soon as you put waves of any size in the mix then the peak loads on the rigging more or less double. As none of us really know the loads at which the structures on our boats will give out in their current state anyway, well... Lets not rub salt in my own wound...

Its also very much my experience that a boat is more likely than not to suffer further damage if she has been disabled and has to be towed in. My preference is to retreat to the nearest safe beach and take time to derig the boat thoroughly and prepare her for a tow, whilst the safety boat can resume patrol. Two and a half miles upwind with the jib flogging, for instance, is a recipe for trouble, so is towing back a boat full of water. I believe its rarely possible to prepare a boat well for a long tow on the water, especially as you usually feel under pressure to rush so as to free up the safety boat for its next task.
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

davidh wrote:(I want a 60s boat so I can wear flares and a 'tie and dye' tee shirt)
I've got a 1960s boat but there's not a cat in hell's chance of me wearing school uniform :lol:
Best wishes

SB
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

SoggyBadger wrote:Not a nice experience Nessa. Adding in Pat's experience the previous year, they'll have to seriously raise their game before I'd consider going there. Hope the Kestrel's fixable.
While I think it is right to offer sympathy for damage, I think that without having been at the event it is not appropriate to make comment of this nature.

Nessa did experience some consequence from extreme weather, but the weather circumstances were extreme and we were all warned well in advance that conditions would be challenging, and that only those who were fully confident in their boats ability to withstand strong winds should venture out.

My own experience of the support boats was of great competency and faultless seamanship, and I would personally have no hesitaion in reccomending this event as a fine example of how to run a Classic event.

I feel the discusion that has been ongoing should cease at this point as the discussion of appropriate safety measures and support at a classic event is, as David has alluded in his well argued comments, more complex than simple Support facilities, and includes issues such as the nature, age and health of the participants, as well as the boats.

I am not usually on the side of political correctness, but we are presented here with a question of what the duties of unqualified, support volunteers are. They are no longer "Rescue boats" because that carries legal implications of equipment, competency and responsibility. If more is demanded from them there is a real danger that our sport will become unfeasable.

The phenomenal level of support at Bosham included numerous Shore assistants from thier cadet section, helping with trollies, Free accomodation for many travellers, as guests of members, a support boat on the course offering a "Comfort facility" (Sorry mod, an mericanism creeping in there :oops: ) and not one but several support boats. This is unprecedented in any other CVRDA supported event I have been to.

I shall try to distill all of the excitement into a report in the next few days. There is much adventure and incident to write about so please be patient, and please lets not judge this event any further until after the race officers have had their own opportunity to discuss it at the "Wash-up" meeting that I know they will have, bearing in mind my sincere hope for more of the same NEXT YEAR!!! :) :) :)

I would ask that we close this thread now and if neccessary continue discussion of Classic dinghy event safety management on another thread, without reference to specifics, and in a non confrontational open forum
Michael Brigg
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I look forward to reading the report from the event but do not agree that the "discussion should cease". Those members who wish to comment should be free to do so, within reason of course, and within the boundaries set out elsewhere for posting.
Harrier 25
505 7163
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Michael Brigg wrote:While I think it is right to offer sympathy for damage, I think that without having been at the event it is not appropriate to make comment of this nature.
On the contrary, unless you're insinuating that Nessa and Pat are being less than honest about their experiences then my comment is totally appropriate and I stand by it.

Oh and BTW, don't patronise me. I'm not some wet-behind-the-ears novice. I've been sailing for over 40 years, most of that in high-performance dinghies such as Merlins and Ospreys. I worked professionally as a sailmaker for a few years too in my youth. I'm well aware of what it takes to put on an open event and that it's all done by volunteers. I've done enough of that in my time and still do even though I'm not a member of any sailing club. I've helped out on two open meeting for a local club this season. Why? Partly as a favour to an old friend who's a flag officer at that club (and values my experience) and partly just to give something back to the sport. I've spent more hours in their RIBs this year than I have in my own boat!
Best wishes

SB
roger

Post by roger »

You all have valid points to make but please can we keep this civil

I think any more comments should be made to Bosham themselves so they can reply and take note for the future.

None of the moderators want to lock or edit the thread but please dont let it deteriorate into a slanging match.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Thank you to Andrew for finding this first...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5QqPIOy6t8
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

what happened to the video?

I enjoyed seeing it because it provided unmistakable proof that I CAN SAIL AGAIN! :lol:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

hopefully a newer and better version is on its way!

I really enjoyed the video, so hope it is back soon.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

Ian, spiderman, I've been trying to get in touch with a pm to you, after our conversation at Bough Beech. If the message didn't get through can you let me know please.
Cheers
Chris
AndrewY

Post by AndrewY »

Hi Guys

I trust you all got my email a day or so after the event with links to the SailTV video etc.

For some reason the location of the video was moved and you can now find it at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ddvd0 ... ature=plcp

Can I also remind people, that if you have any feedback & suggestions about the event, please feel free to email me: bsc.cloud at gmail.com
and we will bear this in mind in our washup meeting.

We are trying to secure a date for next year as soon as we can but we are negotiating a congested Chi Harbour programme with the various authorities to find a workable date. We will announce this as soon as we can so that you can get the date in your diaries for next year.

Cheers
Andrew Young
Pat

Post by Pat »

(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)