Baltic Wharf?

Chat about CVRDA events
Pat

Re: Baltic Wharf?

Post by Pat »

Lunch is usually in or sitting outside the very adjacent Cottage Inn which does decent food as there isn't a clubhouse, just changing and a committee room.
http://www.cottage.butcombe.com/gallery ... ttage1.jpg shows just how adjacent to the slipway!
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:I couldn't sail for 4 months or more after that BWSC meeting in 2006 - did myself some good damage, though the Solo made it through unscathed.

I love the photos with the brightly coloured houses in the background.
Was it really 2006. Chris had kindly lent me Iska and we had had a good day and were doing quite well. The squall that came through luckily capsized us quickly and saved the wooden mast. It blew through very quickly and we had to sail back across the harbour with me swimming alongside or she just kept sinking. She was up to the gunnels but once alongside with no crew weight it was surprising how quickly the water went back out through the centreboard case. Those rolled decks are very good at stopping the water from coming in but once in there is not much room to wield a bucket.
Might see if I can borrow a boat for the event if Im not working. Or maybe get Shoestring fixed. Just waiting for the electrician to fix the power and more importantly lights in the new shed and then there will be no more reasons to procrastinate.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

4 months Roger...you recover fast then!

That was a day that was....and there was me thinking that I'd pulled a fast one on you all with a few whiffs of the pro-Lube spray can. I still have the triangular inprint of the Proctor spars logo etched into the forehead from where I 'head-butted' the boom as I shot down to leeward - on the sliding seat. The only good part about it was that I had such a big lump on the head that I sat out the last race - which was when the squall came through.

A magic day..one of many sailing a classic boat!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

and David we ALL told you not to use the pro lube but you knew better :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes Pat, I know the pub, although have resisted it's hospitality in the past......hopefully see you all there then :)
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

it's quite extraordinary really that having worked in central Bristol for three years I have never sailed at Baltic Wharf, but I know lots of really good sailors came from there.

Looking forward to it.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

I've now uploaded some of the 552 photos I have from the storm event, taken by Stu Budden on shore and Chris Queree from a rescue boat - I think they are some of the best pictures ever taken at our events because of the weather and the colours. The problem is choosing which ones to use.
http://cvrda.org/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=73
chris

Post by chris »

Yes some good pictures there. We need to use our imagination for the ones that followed...nearly every boat upside down , broken masts etc. You could hear that squall coming up the gorge like an amy of tanks and there was nothing you could do about.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

into the valley of death....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I seem to remember telling everyone all day that there was bad weather on the way, and being told not to worry about it!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

Poor Iska, picture number 18 was when 36 ran into the side of her. That pic was just before impact. :(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

I thought that was it Roger,
Peter, yes I remember foul weather was forecast...but it seemed so ideal when we arrived!
roger

Post by roger »

A day to remember. Dont think I can do it this year. Might try to swap work days.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It was the day they forecast the "perfect Storm", where there was no sign of it on maps, but they "knew" it was going to come. In the end, it didn't work out quite as expected, but still send a massive squall over the South West. Running up the harbour, (briefly) in the company of 2 vintage Merlins, wondering how I was going to turn round, is a memory that will stick with me.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Who is running the event this year, by the way?
Rupert