2014 events!

Chat about CVRDA events
PeterV

Re: 2014 events!

Post by PeterV »

Just a note of caution - beach boats are usually sailed by people who don't take their sailing very seriously. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try but I'd initially just ask for a separate start alongside an existing club event so that you don't end up being embarrassed by an event with no participants. We organised a Mercury class event like this, simply by asking Clevedon Sailing Club if we could have a separate start at their regatta.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd not seen this as a racing event at all - more a get together to have fun and sail each other's boats - and you are right, Peter - if held on a Sunday when club racing is on, and rescue cover already there, it wouldn't matter if there were only a few boats there. There could be a good Minisail turn out, though.

Whether I could get there would depend very much on what was happening with juniors at Whitefriars, but I will if I can!
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Peter and Rupert, I agree with both of you, racing is on Saturday though, however if necessary water can be used on Sundays as well, their is club racing which would be open to visitors, but it will be a more relaxed free and easy event, in line with the type of boat. Safety boat cover would be provided for event.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

SVSC doesn't appear to have a website currently?

Did find some youtube clips, though, including the Aquabat. Looks like a nice place to spend some time!
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, The 2 channels on youtube are both run by me, 1 is called sandwell valley sailing club the other is my name robert baker, they will both appear if you type sandwell valley sailing club in search, their is plenty to do for none sailors in the valley, all videos and photos were taken by me, the website is a slightly controversial subject, the old one was switched off before new one was built, against all advice.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Pat

Post by Pat »

Rob - why don't you start a Facebook Group for the club? Very easy to run and gives you an instant discussion forum to bring people together. We've done it at Shearwater and Cheddar and it seems to work well.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Pat, Their is a facebook page, but I am a not a member of facebook, so I do not put any content on there.
The non sailing attractions are High wire area (fee charged) 2 mountain bike trails 1 of them is a black course with chicken runs, a working farm with rare breeds also the home farm for the original estate this contains a museum, animals and a tea room that also does food, their are tennis courts, crazy golf, pitch and putt, childrens play areas, outdoor gym (free), RSPB centre, all within easy walk of sailing club, West Brom town centre shopping also a short walk, and of course Birmingham city centre a short drive.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I've been told of the following dates for 2014 events so far;
3 May Hunts
7/8 June Roadford
23-25 August Clywedog National Rally
27 September Banbury
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
kfz

Post by kfz »

trebor wrote:Hi Rupert, The 2 channels on youtube are both run by me, 1 is called sandwell valley sailing club the other is my name robert baker, they will both appear if you type sandwell valley sailing club in search, their is plenty to do for none sailors in the valley, all videos and photos were taken by me, the website is a slightly controversial subject, the old one was switched off before new one was built, against all advice.

Rob,
Defo make an effort to come and sail with you next year. Family like sandwell valley so make a day out of it. You sail on Saturdays don't you?

Kev
Seafire

Post by Seafire »

Hi Peter,

As posted elsewhere, I can confirm the 2014 Bosham Classic Boat Revival will be held on 6th & 7th September 2014 - hope as many CVRDA member as possible can join us. Further details in due course. Be great if you could add the event to your calendar - many thanks.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I've just added all the confirmed events so far to the front page and its a nice scattering of events over the area south of a line from the Mesey to the Wash! See http://www.cvrda.org/wp-cvrda/events/
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Kev, Sailing is on Saturdays, hopefully you can make event, if committee ever give me dates to pass on to Peter. Rob
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

A decade ago in Bristol there used to be a Bridge to Bridge race along the Avon, through the gorge and under Brunells suspension bridge.

It involves an early launch from Shirehampton by the M5 motorway bridge and dash up with the tide to Bristol harbour to arrive at the dock at as near to high water as possible.

I organised it over a decade ago and it has not been repeated - perhaps I need to make amends.

However if this sounds fun and there is interest -although launching at Shirehampton is a muddy affair and needs more help than I provided ( lesson learnt) last time - I would be happy to make enquiries about timing and so on. ( Last time it was on mid summers day as part of the club's regatta.

Classic dinghies sailing in the footsteps of the SS Great Britain under the iconic suspension bridge is of course what its all about.

Cheers
ALAN
roger

Post by roger »

I have seen the pictures of the previous one and I would like to do it. One for the bucket list.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi Roger

I'd love to do it too. So as soon as the tide tables for Cumberland Basin are published I'll suggest some dates.

Two are enough but obviously more are welcome.

Cheers Alan