2014 events!

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: 2014 events!

Post by Rupert »

If I can escape from Junior Group then I'd love to do it. Missed the 1st one, can't remember why.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I am pretty sure Shearwater is offering an event next year, late in the year I think October. I am sure Chris will confirm this.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd still like a bunch of us to go down and visit Ed on the Tamar for a cruise to the pub for a weekend. If we could do that, an Avon trip, and a play day at Sandwell Valley for beach type boats then we really would have a bit more variety in our offerings.
Rupert
sjgrobbins

Post by sjgrobbins »

roger wrote:I am pretty sure Shearwater is offering an event next year.
Time to start challenging the rules then. Would be good to get 341 back 'home' where she belongs.

Can't remember who or where but someone suggested there was already a Fireball in the club when the length limit was set, so an exception was made, but the club's own website has a history section with the minutes of the original meeting in 1960 where a length limit was discussed. Clearly there were no Fireballs in the club then, as none had been built yet! So don't let anyone fob you off with that old excuse. :wink:
roger

Post by roger »

Simon, no need to worry, I have the ear of the sailing secretary and even if I just turned up with Mah Jong I don't think it would be challenged. I wont be registering her for as a regular boat there as Longleat now have a prohibitive licensing system for each boat. I will be licensing my Merlin which is my regular boat and will bring Mah Jong along as a visiting boat for the open. Hopefully we will do a few jaunts in the summer. In fact she may be just the boat for the sail up under Clifton Bridge and ideal for Clwedog our Nationals in August.
Apart from that events I attend will be down to availability of time and money.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
sjgrobbins

Post by sjgrobbins »

Must admit I'd never thought of sailing under the Clifton suspension bridge. I'd think if the wind is from north or south there'd be nothing at river level but from east or west would be like sailing in a wind tunnel! Could be interesting :D
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi all,

I missed the first one too but for most of the way the river is wide with a famous horseshoe bend and open at least in parts to the west.

But proper safety boat cover to tow if needed is essential. Personally I'd love to do it in a Moth. As soon as I can suggest dates i'll see what Baltic Wharf SC would like to do.

Cheers
ALAN
roger

Post by roger »

sjgrobbins wrote:Must admit I'd never thought of sailing under the Clifton suspension bridge. I'd think if the wind is from north or south there'd be nothing at river level but from east or west would be like sailing in a wind tunnel! Could be interesting :D

Be just like sailing at Shearwater.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

And another event, neatly solving the problem of what to do on the Bank Holiday weekend....
Blithfield will host a vintage weekend on 24 and 25 May.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Pat

Post by Pat »

Great, I enjoyed Blithfield. Thanks Peter.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat...whooo hooooo - Blithfield again.

But better still, with Seventh Heaven and Black Adder already in attendance, you could bring 'Love over Gold' ( and be welcome).

But oh no...have just had a thought - will have to complain about Sandy holding technical discussions late at night outside of the camper. It wasn't that I minded being kept awake (did really but...) it was the fact that I thought "he can't say that"!!!!!

D
David H
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

We will also have 3339 the flame out next year as the owners have retuned from cycling to china.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
davidh

Post by davidh »

It will be great to see the lovely Summer Wine design out racing again - do you know if Nyamani will be afloat by them. We will have to make sure that the Shelley moth gets left at home so the Winderbox can make an appearance!

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Luke....oh no, have just reread your posting and see that now you only show Seventh Heaven as your boat, does this mean that Sledgehammer is no more?

Can I ask a question Luke? If I came up to Blithfield the day before (say... the Friday) do you think we could get some of the local Merlin sailors, past and present, together for an hour or so. I think it might be possible to get harry Haynes along - yet at the same time, Taxi! Although the core of the book will be written, I will leave space so that I can add in 'last minute' stories.

We also need a 'blinder' of a picture of Seventh Heaven so bring your make up bag with you!

Will do a feature on the event for the Press - it should be easier this time around as you'll not have Bosham the following weekend

d
David H
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Unfortunately Sledgehammer had to go in order to finance Seventh Heavens repair last year. She went to a good home though not that far from Whitefriars, the couple who bought her seem to be keen on sailing and maintaining so much so they were even asking for the RAL code of the red paint to touch up the scratches from my first experience of tide at Salcombe and a fairway X.

They also took her to the rutland open and did well.

I was gutted to see her go, given as she was my first boat, first merlin and especially after all the work and time I put into restoring her. Im just glad she went to a good home.

Yeah im sure we could try and get a few down, do you have specific targets other than Taxi and Harry Haynes? or just try to get as many of all abilities as possible?
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven