Hunts Rally - Moths

Chat about CVRDA events
Nessa

Hunts Rally - Moths

Post by Nessa »

I just want to make a few things clear here:

I was not consulted about making Hunts a 'moth special', nor was I spoken to about offering special prizes for said event, never mind help with expenses! The first I knew about all this was when I saw our event being advertised as a three day event, which it isn't. Hopefully all those ideas have now been quashed.

I have made it clear the Hunts CVRDA event is exactly that - an event for cvrda eligible boats, with very few exemptions at the organisers' discretion. The reasons for this are as follows. Hunts gravel pit measures about a kilometre square. Not very big at all. I know from experience that we can cope with about 50 boats racing on such a small size of water. We are typically enjoying turnouts of around 30 boats for club racing, more when the sun shines. This year the CVRDA event combines with club racing on the Sunday, meaning we will be stretched to capacity, both in terms of race management and safety cover.

I cannot ask my regular club sailors to have their racing possibly marred by boats that they can clearly see are not 'classics' in their sense of the word, nor can I afford to have safety cover compromised by boats that have a very high capsize rate. Although popular at Hunts, a cvrda event is still quite new to the club and I do not want to jeopardise the future running of it in any way.

Please do not send me any more emails about this. I am just starting a very busy training season, I just don't need the hassle. I have made my position clear and I am sticking to it.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan watson

Re: Hunts Rally - Moths

Post by alan watson »

Hi Everybody,

I am clearly at fault here. It was certainly my intention to ask the organisers before seeking to make any CVRDA rally a focus for a moth gathering which I thought I had done. Clearly not though in this case.

The last thing I wanted to do - especially as a new boy as it were - was to make difficulties for anyone.

My fault for not making it clear that the intention was not to ask the organiser to run up extra expenses but rather with a limited group to see if between us we could offer some kind of help to those with limited resources travelling long distances and between us offer some sort of particular prizes for the Moths.

I can quite see Nessa's point ..... Organising these events is no easy task and I am genuinely sorry for making it harder.

So for any queries about this and Roadford and Banbury please contact me in the first instance so I can make clear any misunderstandings or muddle that has been created and my sincere apologies to Nessa for causing problems.

My contact details are as follows:
Email alanwatson@inbox.com
Mobile 07939249538

Regards
ALAN
Nessa

Re: Hunts Rally - Moths

Post by Nessa »

Thanks Alan. Maybe if I can bag a better date next year we can have a moth focussed event, especially since I might even be able to sail in one of mine by then. For this year though, the club simply can't stretch to it. We are victims of our own success in that Sunday racing numbers are going through the roof. I made the mistake last year of combining a Europe open with Sunday racing. More Europes came than we were expecting, then it was the best sailing day of the year so something like 45 club boats turned out. I was race officer and nearly ended up throwing myself off the committee boat.

I wont be able to sail this year as I'm having a knee op just four days beforehand. If anyone wants to book a Skol moth or the mystery green moth, let me know.

Maybe next year I can try for the August Bank Holiday again and we could have the long weekend.

For those who are coming to Hunts we are hosting a D Zero demonstration session in the morning, before our Friends and Family sessions in the afternoon. If anyone wants to go to the other extreme from classic and vintage and try this fab looking new boat, let me know and I will book you a go. Of course, we all know it won't compare to a Skol moth!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World