Roadford Meeting date VERY IMPORTANT

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: Roadford Meeting date VERY IMPORTANT

Post by Rupert »

Roadford is a wonderful place to sail, and it sounds like I missed a great event. I hope that they are still up for putting on the 2015 National Rally

I like having the sub groups taking part as David describes, but we have to ensure that the fleet NOT in any of the sub groups doesn't start to feel left out.

Clywedog is ideal for big boats (provided you can tow them back up the hill afterwards) so I hope we'll see some more there?
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Something I've often observed, and have probably said before. At AGMs and the like sailors always vote for as many races as possible, all back to back, but when actually on the water the same sailors take every possible opportunity for a lunch break, tea break, coffee break etc. Also some of us are getting to the age where "comfort breaks" are more frequent than they once were, and while in my younger days I might have been happy to jump off the boat between races to relieve biology whilst maintaining decency these days I'm not so keen.
Pat

Post by Pat »

We too would have preferred a bit more space between races and also sat two out on Sunday.

One of our favourite days was last year at Clywedog when we cruised up to the top of the sailing area and all moored up on shore and the committee boat brought tea. Flying Fifteens, Dutchman etc. all managed to moor up and come ashore and then the wind picked up and we had a good sail back.
Keith - can we do that again?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert and Pat,

At the knub of this issue is something that I believe in quite passionately! I'm not saying that I have all the answers but from what I see, traipsing all around the UK covering events, too many clubs and classes are loosing sight of the 'experience' that their events offer to competitors. We've had this spelt out very clearly in the posts on this thread. But if you think it tricky in the classics, many other classes have it far worse and as Jim C really made clear. You go afloat, lots of races, a long day out on the water and then either the thumping disco or.....(depending on how serious everyone is) boats are quickly covered over, with the sailors then vanishing off to where they are staying, often still in their sailing gear. Worst example..... the 'Olympic' regatta centre at Weymouth - well, Portland. As a sailing location, this has to be one of the all time great venues but on the social skills level......it is no better than poor.

2 years ago we hosted the RS Vareo and 500 Nationals at Netley, in total we had well over 60 boats and a great time was had by all. W&PNSA have just hosted the same event and not made 50% of that total. It can't be the facilities...Netley is still negotiating on a new clubhouse and the winter storms have just about done for the already battered old one. But no, like Roadford, every messed in together, the social side matched the on water fun with the result that a great time was had by all.

What is the answer, with a particular emphasis on the classic scene? Well, in many ways, it ain't broke, so doesn't actually need fixing. But, at the same time, there is no reason why Rupert's view, on the events being inclusive, should not be given a greater emphasis.

A way forward could well be along the lines of............

A CVRDA 'format' along the lines discussed. Nothing heavy nor onerous, no more than 2 races at a time, care taken to minimise boat on boat contact, consideration given to the changing make up of the fleet (going as far as a bigger course for some of the boats) and further thought given to bringing in sub groups - again, be inclusive not exclusive.

Then, if the space and venue allows, a cruise away to another location is a great idea but this does not have to be at the expense of the racers. MothManAlan stressed how a coaching session, both afloat and ashore (rig settings and the like) would be a great 'pull' for other sailors....bring your boat along to get some insight of how to get more from it.....in the end, it is all about making it worthwhile to get people travelling.

There is no doubt now that with a bit of tweaking and fine tuning, the classic model, as seen at Hunts and Roadford is a great way of getting more boats out afloat, be it for either racing or just having fun!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Will take that onboard. The reason for getting the races in quickly are several at the weekend. Firstly warnings of Server Weather events given out by the media ment we thought get them done quickly before it occurs. Typical Met. Office never happened but we could not know that. Yes we could allow a rest in between and will do next time. Damage is a problem but unless minor requires more time than can be spared between races. On the Sunday people like a quick getaway. Some of the competitors have ferries to catch missing them, means more hard earned cash to be spent. I still think that you should have a six race series anything less is not worth travelling. I could scrap the fun race start at 11 run two races Lunch two afternoon. Sunday Morning 10.30 start longer race Short peestop for Sandy! 1pm start longer race finishing at about 2.30.
Regards Al
Last edited by alan williams on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Agree with David absolutely.
Regattas should be sociable but absolutely NOT social events there are plenty of those already.
v8deanoncvrda

Post by v8deanoncvrda »

Ed wrote:...while on the beats to just catch our breath and maybe crack open a couple of tinnies, check our email, take a few selfies....eib
Selfies. Check!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 410c734ad4

Couple of tinnies. Check! Check!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 9bc9fd7751
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... c4c6cde82c

All in all a great weekend. Thanks!
International Moth Blitz 2 3958 (work in progress)
MiniSprint MK2 'Scallywag' 7000
Leader II 1133