Brightlingsea

Chat about CVRDA events
Pat

Post by Pat »

The Lakeside Touring Park on 01206 303421 has pitches available for the Bank Holiday weekend, with electricity if required.

I stayed there many times in the late sixties and early seventies and it is very conveniently within walking distance of the club, just along the promenade and by the boating lake where I first sailed a dinghy!!

Other accommodation can be found on
http://www.brightlingsea-town.co.uk/bus ... nframe.htm

together with other tourist information.

Book early!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Now we are into May, just a reminder to say that we hope to see a lot of you at Brightlingsea at the end of the month. Accommodation details etc can be found on the club web site http://www.sailbrightlingsea.com

There is club racing on all 3 days, with a mini series on the Sunday and Monday. There will be a club open BBQ on the Sunday evening which we are invited to. Basically a cook your own affair. Shops are a few mins walk away and for those who can't resist the fish and chips are fabulous!

We can set courses from the club card or set our own depending on the weather. Starting is usually in the creek from the club line, which is sheltered, as is the launching from the concrete ramp. Let us know who is coming so that we can set the event you would like. We can even set the cat sailors a course to really open the machines up - the chance you have been waiting for Alan.

Brightlingsea is one of the finest dinghy sailing venues on the East Coast with a heritage of championship winners. It is a friendly and relaxed club with the clubhouse and dinghy park at the waters edge. The beer is very good also!

Brightlingsea would make an ideal base for classic dinghies on the East Coast, so please help us build this event.

See you there.
chris

Post by chris »

We'll be there, all being well,
Either merlin 6 or 507, (both are fairly delicate machines so nothing too lumpy for me!
Chris and Lois
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Will bring Finn, Shark trailer bearings shot.
Will Malcom Goodwin and Steve Heppel be out in their Bods for the CVRDA Event?Can you try and rustle them up as it would be good to meet up with the old Hornet gang again. See you soon
Al
Davidt

Post by Davidt »

Hi there
I sail a Wivenhoe One Design at er..suprise suprise.....Wivenhoe which is just up river from Brighlingsea. I'm going to miss most of the weekend but would like to come down and find out more about the CVRDA. Can anyone give me any more infromation about the planned times for events on the Monday.

Any idea of how many you are expecting?

I may well come down in the WOD and have a cruise around. Promise I won't get in anyones way!!!!!

Cheers
Pat

Post by Pat »

We're bringing the Merlin and staying the week, returning via the Vintage Merlin event on the Thames the following Saturday.
My grandparents and various relatives lived there so I'm keen to return and pleased it's the cvrda that's taking me back to my roots.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Davidt
I've seen your website about your Wivenhoe OD would be great to see it in the flesh so to speak. Wivenhoe home of the Revolution Hornet. Is Malcom Goodwin still building boats and making sails?
Hope to see you on the Water on the Monday I'll be sailing the Red and White Finn and would like to have a good look at your craft so give me a shout.
Cheers Alan Williams Finn 340, Shark 41, Dolpin 30, NOD 694, Nacra 1879
pS. Down to 5 boats now.
Davidt

Post by Davidt »

I don't know Malcolm Goodwin that well, but what I do know is that he does not seem to be doing any boat building or sail making anymore. The last project that I know he did was the re-building of Brightlingsea One Design no.1 which was a total masterpiece! If you go onto the Brightlingsea Sailing Club site there is a link for the BODS and load of pictures of Malcolm and the boat when it was launched a couple of years back.
Malcolm used to make alot of sails for WM Sprite, Wods and all sorts but now from a WOD perspective we are having to go elsewhere. Lonton and Grey seem to be popular for one design sails. Mind you my own WOD sports a brand spanking new set made by North Sea Sails from Tollesbury...I wanted the 'traditional 1935 look' so they are cream cross cut, mitre cut jib etc. Second outing with them this sunday!

I might not sail down on the Monday as I can't get a crew but I'll probably pop down on foot and have a wander round the dinghy park.

Cheers

David T
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Hi David

The racing will be at normal Brightlingsea Club times but we will all be having a get together on the Sunday evening, so you will be very welcome to join us. Hopefully you will be able to admire several of the boats visiting. We hope to have some of the Brightlingsea One Designs out although they are a little slow in launching this year!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Could you post all the details in plain english please as we haven't all gone through the registering rigmarole required to access the info on the club website (limitations of working for the government!) and I'd like to get it set up on the events page here asap.
Thanks

Pat
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Pat
I,ve managed to contact Dave C. but he is now in Holland. Format is we will be a Flight within their Bank Holiday race series. Races to count being Sunday and Monday, Saturday being a seperate race in the Brightlingsea series that we can enter as a practise race. As regards cost of entery I don't know. Enteries will I assume be at the clubhouse on the day. Hope this helps.
Alan W.
chris

Post by chris »

We're arriving on Friday night, probably after 9.00pm is the Lakeside camping park easy to find?
Any directions welcome.
CU at the weekend.
Chris
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris
Campsite is very close to sailing club near the old osyster tanks. If you go on the Brightlingsea town website, there is a map showing its location.
See you on Saturday.
Cheers al
chris

Post by chris »

Cheers,
Al
CU as they say!
Pat

Post by Pat »

We hope to also be arriving late Fri - can't leave Bath until 5p.m. Campsite sounds very laid back and as if there's plenty of space. But check anyway if you are planning to stay there.