Shearwater 19th July

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

Shearwater 19th July

Post by chris »

I think this didn't get in the main list of events but we are having a Vintage day at Shearwater Saturday 19th July. Officially just a one day but people are welcome to join in club racing next day. Our usual routine is three handicap races throughout the day ( with lunch/tea breaks) starting at 11.0am. I'll put more info up next week.
Shearwater is probably the smallest lake on our circuit. Max boat size is 16ft, no cats. It is part of the Longleat estate, but Lord Bath has promised to lock up the lions. Wiltshire/somerset border near Warminster. There is no camping at the club unfortunately but I'll put up some details. Very beautiful place.

All types of boat welcome but if you want a theme then hopefully there will be a few ribbed vintage boats with cotton sails etc. if you come with a real vintage boat then great!

I hope N 33's mast can be repaired by then, that Planet can make a return to the club. MR 110 or 252 are on their way, MR 6, 16, (7 and 40 may still be varnishing!) Int 483 may even be ready for its relaunch.

If you have a Vintage Wing boat this is the place to come.

Chris Barlow
roger

Re: Shearwater 19th July

Post by roger »

Dear Mr Sailing secretary can we use an ebay tapemeasure for Fireball 341 please. After all she has previous and been sailed there in past.

ps that is if I find time to get her out of the shed and prepare her.

Pps if you want other entertainment on Sunday you can come and throw water at me as I plod up the steep hill into Frome in my first half marathon.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

Well I have a suspect tape measure as my 14 seems 1/4" short so we can use that tape!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris
Is that with the brass rubbing strip fitted to the bow?
Al
sjgrobbins

Post by sjgrobbins »

If you go Roger, I'll get dad to come and show you what to do :) If he can remember!

By the way is Colin Singer likely to be there. He's probably about the only person dad would know.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sjg - Colin could probably be asked as he lives close to the lake and we see him occasionally.
40 certainly won't be ready this year but a vintage theme is a good idea.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

Simon, I need to make my mind up and will let you know if I decide to go with Mah Jong
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I spoke to Mike Liggett about this he seemed pretty keen. Can someone email him details?

I remember racing a fireball at Shearwater when I was a member there. I also sailed a mirror 14 there, plus. Mini sail. Must be something in the water...

Oh and it really is truly lovely. When I was seriously sporty I did a lot of running there. Made it bearable.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
sjgrobbins

Post by sjgrobbins »

Nessa wrote:
I remember racing a fireball at Shearwater when I was a member there.
How long ago was that? Didn't think there had been any there for years.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

It must have been the early nineties I would think.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
sjgrobbins

Post by sjgrobbins »

Nessa wrote:It must have been the early nineties I would think.
Ah, long after my father stopped sailing there in the early eighties. I didn't realise there were still fireballs there as late as that. Back in the seventies there were 4 in the club. As a child I could never understand why we had to finish so far in front to win anything or why we had to wait until 25 minutes after the start in a pursuit race. Still we did manage to win the Fathers and son's race in 1971 in what is now Roger's fireball. I know he's a bit busy at the moment but it would be nice to see it down there again.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Not sure Planet is going to make it.

She is leaking quite a bit from all over the place and I think I have a second rib gone underneath the foot boards.

I am still sailing her, but this will probably be the last year. I will have to do something with her after that.

I have never steamed any ribs in, would not know where to start. And she needs to be fully stripped and repainted on the outside. Big job.

That said, Sparkle also needs looking at, and will get first crack. As it is just a deck strip and re-varnish to keep her sweet. Should not have left here out all winter. Ho, hum.

Just getting used to my new club, Whitefriars, Katy is now learning to sail proper like, hopefully might get back on the circuit in due course

Catch you later.

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
chris

Post by chris »

That's no excuse Stephen!!! I'll even steam an elm rib for you if you bring her over.
Chris
Camping facilities available chez nous again
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Chris,

How about if I bring her over and you can have a look.

Let me check to ensure we are not double booked for anything.

But I think we will need to steam two ribs. And I will have to get some of those nails/rivets.

You can teach me how to do it.

Now that Desperation has found a new home, I am feeling a little less 'over-burdened' - too many projects and not enough time. And I will have enough winter storage for both the boats I have.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Are you not doing Juniors that day?
Rupert