Classic/ Lowrider Moth training at Oxford SC

Chat about CVRDA events
Spiderman

Classic/ Lowrider Moth training at Oxford SC

Post by Spiderman »

I am organising a Training day for Classic and Lowrider Moths to be held at Oxford Sailing Club on Saturday 6th June. The club has agreed to allow those who wish to stay in the area on Saturday night to join in with the club racing on Sunday. The cost will be £9 per day for adults and £7 for youth sailors. If we also want the use of a club RIB then the hire charge for that will have to be shared between those attending.
The main aim is to get as many classic and lowriding moths together in one place so that we can exchange ideas, help set boats up correctly and do some on the water excercises to improve technique or simply learn to stay upright for a bit longer! Another important skill to learn is capsize recovery. Those new to Moths often find that the biggest problem is getting going again after capsizing and poor technique usually leads to further capsizes and a critical loss of energy.
Lyndon and myself have both been sailing Moths for many years and will be on hand to offer tips and advice as well as doing some on the water demonstrations for people to observe.
For those that wish to stay over there is a decent campsite about 20 minutes away with a clubhouse that serves Beer and food. There is also a pub in the nearest village which is within walking distance. I am planning to stay on the campsite on the Saturday night if it looks as though there will be a few joining us for a bit of a Moth social evening.
If you are at all interested in coming please let me know as it would help to have a rough idea of numbers. I will post details of the campsite once I know there is some interest.
Oxford Sailing Club operates on Farmoor Reservoir where there is plenty of space for rigging and launching and a large expanse of water to play on so come on Mothists this could be the start of something...

Regards

Ian
Int Moths K2883, K3464, K3887,GBR4012 and GBR4015
davidh

Re: Classic/ Lowrider Moth training at Oxford SC

Post by davidh »

Ian,

What a brilliant idea. Could I come along and report on this? As part of our ongoing support at Y&Y.com for the classic Moth scene, this has got 'story' written all over it!

Cheers

Dougal
David H
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi David,

Provided there is sufficient interest, and more importantly people attending with their boats, to make it a news-worthy event then of course we would be delighted if you were to join us and put a piece together.
If you bring your gear we'll even let you demonstrate the "waterstart" capsize recovery if you like?
At this stage I have no idea how many people will be keen to attend although I am aware of a few sailors who would clearly benefit from a bit of Moth specific coaching. Even extremely competent sailors from other classes tend to struggle initially with the unique difficulties that Moth sailing presents. It is quite evident that a decent bit of coaching can help overcome some of these difficulties and drastically reduce the steepness of the learning curve. Done at the right time this can help encourage people to persevere as they can start to see light at the end of the tunnel through the rapid progress achieved.
I would really like to see a decent number of Moths turn up on the day with a good spread designs from across the ages.
Anything from a Europa right through to a Hungry Tiger would be most welcome and we'll do our best to make sure that everyone gets something out of the day.
If you fancy camping or Motorhoming on the Saturday night please let me know and I will direct you to the site that I plan to use.
Hope to see you there.

Regards

Ian
P.S. If you're coming to Hunts,is there any chance you could bring a copy of your book for me? I think that Lyndon might like one too!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ian,

errr...I've got the scars from my time on the learning curve. I don't mind your Shelley or a tunnel scow........

have put two copies aside for you and Lyndon

D
David H
milesj

Post by milesj »

I'm one interested party and have booked the Fri & Sat off so if it's on count me in.

Magnum 7 and I definitely need some pointers. And... DavidH definitely owes me a demonstration.

Miles
Miles

Harrier no 5
International Moth, Magnum 7 K3905
Ancient Mirror Dinghy
Merlin Rocket 3542
Merlin Rocket 3646
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I'm interested in going along to this, assuming I get the scow sorted and checked out afloat in time....should be ok I think, but everything is buried in the garage at present while we do more alterations at the back of the house.
I was hoping to get to Hunts .....but I would really need to have sailed the Moth a couple of times before I risk letting myself loose among all the boats that are expected to be there, so I'm really not sure about that yet......it's getting very close!
The scow is obviously a very different boat to sail than a tippy skiff, but that may just add to the fun for comparison purposes, and I'm interested to see where I was going wrong with my Magnum anyway..........not sure I'm fit enough for one now though unfortunately :(
If I do manage to get along to Oxford, it will be for the day only.....only an hour and a half drive for me, so up early and home late if needed.
I'll update when we manage to dig the boat out and make progress.....hopefully in a couple of weeks or so.
Sami.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Sounds like a great idea, and might fit in with plans for at least one of us.

Skol Moth 'The Hopple' would come.

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ian, Alan and Lyndon,

from the 'media' perspective, the more diverse the boats, the better - this will make for a great story!!! Sami, can I book a ride on your scow...so I can see Miles 'in action' from up close and personal

Cheers,

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes David.....not sure if she's stable enough to be a press boat, but you're welcome to try! :)
Sami.
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi there Mothists,

I am really pleased at the positive feedback received so far about this event. As it's still a fair way off I am hopeful that a few more will be persuaded to come as I think it will be fantastic to see a good selection of Moths from across the ages all gathered in one place. With an Imperium scow, a Skol, a Shelley and a couple of Magnums already down as possibles Dougal could get some really amazing pictures.
I forgot to mention earlier that as well as helping people set their boats up and make progress on the water, another of the aims of this event is to try and assemble as many Moth enthusiasts and their boats together to facilitate discussions on designs, rigs, sailing techniques and perhaps more importantly repair schemes for the inevitable breakages that occur.
The relative uniqueness of many older Moths means that "off the peg" boat parts rarely fit and standard repair methods are often inappropriate!
If anyone would like a particular issue or topic to be included during the training day, please let me know so that I can factor it in and do some preparation. Clearly it will not be possible to go over every aspect in detail in a single day, but if a common request emerges I can give that a higher priority.
Although Lyndon and I will be running the day it is your day, so to a certain extent the content and format will be determined by your needsand suggestions.
Over the coming weeksI will produce some Joining Instructions which will include directions and a loose format, but the format will be reasonably flexible depending on the turnout and the conditions on the day.
Miles and Sami, I really hope that you can both make it as I would love to see the scow sailing and hopefully we can help make sailing a Magnum 7 seem a bit less challenging! A picture of Dougal in (or is it on) the scow would be priceless!

Regards

Ian
ptostu

Re: Classic/ Lowrider Moth training at OxforC

Post by ptostu »

Hello Ian as long as I can hold the knee together till then and the boats ok I wI'll be there with prime 8 the skoll a long way off at the moment
Stuart
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
milesj

Post by milesj »

Ian, if it's definitely on I'll be there, just for the Saturday as I have to be 'on call' on Sunday. Will come over Friday so will need to camp.

I'm sticking stabiliser buoyancy on the wings at the moment, till I master getting back on board.

Seeing Dougal on a moth has got to be the event of the year!

Miles
Miles

Harrier no 5
International Moth, Magnum 7 K3905
Ancient Mirror Dinghy
Merlin Rocket 3542
Merlin Rocket 3646
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Someone else was having trouble with a tippy moth....

http://earwigoagin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... an-in.html
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Ian
I found by accident the following on an American Site the outline dimensions for a Shelly Moth and an article about the building of the boat. site. http://www.johnshellymothboat.blogspot.com

Cheers Al
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

This is all looking good at present then........just insured the scow...... Noble offer a standard Moth policy 3rd party for around £42, and FC for around £102.....this appears to include foilers!...surprising I thought................I went for for the 3rd party option. All I need to do now is get out there and do sea trials.....hopefully in the next couple of weeks :)
Sami.