SHEARWATER Event

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

SHEARWATER Event

Post by chris »

Shearwater Event
Shearwater is small lake on the Longleat Estate set in beautiful surroundings and not a lion in sight (unless they escape). Our clubhouse overlooks the water and there are a few benches near the start box for better views for spectators. Its also good walking through the woods.
We have a limit of boats up to 16ft (monohulls only). Our plan is to have teas/coffees, rolls, cakes etc available to buy and to charge £10 per boat entry. This year we are running the event over two days but we are not allowed to camp or campervan overnight on the site. We have arranged with a local pub to meet up there for a meal together from about 6-30 to 7.00 and have booked the skittle ally from 9.00pm. The pub is happy for camper vans to stay overnight but it does not have any facilities such as loos it can leave open. A few club members have spare beds, indoor camping (ie mattress on floor) or gardens for tents. So if you would like hospitality ‘pm’ me and I’ll see what I can sort out. Boats can be left at the club but it is worth bringing a chain and padlock to lock them down.
The plan is to have three races (50-60 mins) each day, possibly with a pursuit as the first race on Sunday. We’ll aim to start at 11.30 on Saturday and 11.00 on Sunday. Some club members may join in on Sunday.
Entry forms to sign on arrival with the usual about insurance etc..
I’ve been promoting some early ribbed merlins amongst members and we hope to see nos. 1,6,7,16,111 or 252, out complete with their original cotton sails. (Nos. 40 and 68 are still works in progress I think). Any boats sporting cotton sails will be particularly welcome and the Cotton-Sail-Challenge trophy will be awarded.
It’s really helpful to have a good idea of numbers so please say if you are planning on coming.
Rupert

Re: SHEARWATER Event

Post by Rupert »

This would have been a great one to get to, I love Shearwater, but sadly, we are picking the kids up from France then. They will have spent the summer there, as they are flying over on Monday.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I can come both days, Nikky can only come on the Saturday, so either I bring a single handed or I find a crew for Sunday. I am not sure what will happen on the Saturday night as Nikky has to be in Barnet on Sunday and I'm not sure how or when she will get there!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

I expect I could find you a crew for sunday if that helps.
Paul Rogers

Post by Paul Rogers »

Have pm'd you again Chris.
Paul
Sandwell Valley SC
Mirror 39
Mirror 10546. Mirror 24184
Albacore 1455. Firefly 2705
Wyche & Coppock 16' awaiting restoration.
Gull Mk 3
Minisail Monaco 1. Monaco II 2343
Sprint I 3400. Sprint II 4240
Sprite 806. Dished deck Monaco 1
keithr

Post by keithr »

Very sorry I am on duty Saturday on disability Canal Boat and club training on the sunday.

I am going to have to start saying NO to requests.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I need to come to Shearwater again (I think the last time I was there was for an Alkmaar event in about 1992) but we'll be cruising from Falmouth, hopefully in the Scillies.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

PeterV wrote: we'll be cruising from Falmouth, hopefully in the Scillies.
Not in this weather you won't! :lol:
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Sorry will be Eire.
Cheers Al
chris

Post by chris »

Hopefully a few more can make it.
Please let me know if you can as it really helps.
Thanks
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi Chris, have booked the weekend so barring any unforeseen circumstances I will be there (provided that you can ensure excellent weather just as Alan did at Roadford :D )
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
Pat

Post by Pat »

Same accommodation as last year is available Chris!
The evening pub is exactly 998 metres from our property according to the survey when we bought, but exactly what point of our property to what point of the pub land wasn't clear - anything else would have said "a kilometre away"! :lol:
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

I am bringing at least one Hornet possibly more if I can persuade one of the insurance companies to do me a deal on the shearwater event and Bosham. Any ideas of companies that might insure two boats for a month?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Speak to Jon Langford at Nobles, they have done this for me with classics they know don't get out much. Speak direct to him, he is a nice man.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nessa wrote:Speak to Jon Langford at Nobles, they have done this for me with classics they know don't get out much. Speak direct to him, he is a nice man.
Me too. I think Nobles are prepared to do "specials" for old faithfuls. They insured my Sculling boat for a single week-end event last year.

As Nessa says, ask and you may be rewarded. They are a company that seem to know their customers. a rare and precious thing in the insurance market.
Michael Brigg