How about......?

Chat about CVRDA events
TimD

How about......?

Post by TimD »

There's a very successful classic boat rally (think luggers, smacks, etc etc) held in Plymouth each year. The event has been a weekend event but next year will be held from 24th July to 2nd August.
Wondering about talking to the relevant powers about a cvdra event being added to this?
The idea would be some racing in Plymouth Sound (funny tasting water but sheltered from the sea by the mile long breakwater) and perhaps some sort of static display for the tourists. The event would be centred around the Barbican so plenty of eateries/watering holes within a few minutes walk. If you need to keep family entertained whilst you sail then Plymouth is rapidly gaining a reputation as a great place for a weekend away or base for investigating the beautiful South Hams and Cornwall (Plymouth itself is worth a visit and the scenery whilst sailing in the Sound beautiful).
In terms of racing, Plymouth has hosted many, many Championships from Oppies to the AC40s.
Obscured by clouds

Re: How about......?

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Sounds great. Having been a student in Plymouth during the late 80's it would be nice to spend some time back there.
My only problem would be finding suitable accomodation at that time of year esp during a week long event.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

It would be good to re-visit this idea.... as it has been quite a few years since we considered it and last put out feelers.

After we stopped doing the Plymouth event at Mayflower (due to lack of support) we talked to the Plymouth Classics guys, but never really found a way to make it happen. We looked at various levels of integration into the Plymouth Classics week (and the Plymouth City Regatta), but in the end simply could not guarantee enough buy-in from our membership to really make it viable.

Things may of changed, but we simply couldn't find enough interested CVRDA owners to make the Mayflower event work....and although there was some interest, not enough to take forwards further Plymouth events.

I had better luck with talking to the Fowey Royal Regatta guys who saw much more potential.....and thought about taking that forwards, but in the end there simply wasn't enough interest.

If you are in a position to make those contacts with Plymouth Classics.....and pull together enough boats to make it viable, I think it would be a great event to do and would certainly be there, so you can count me in!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Me too
But they would have to allow GRP boats.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh....yes...I remember, that was one of the issues wasn't it....

To be honest, I can't remember all the problems, but in the end the killer was that we simply didn't have enough enthusiasm to make it worth the effort of trying to set up.

As I have said though.....still think it would be a brilliant way of opening up a new set of events.

I do remember the 1996 (Pre-CVRDA) Bristol Festival of the Sea, when we had a demonstration race in the docks with Andrew Thornhill's collection and other classic boats from Baltic Wharf and Saltford. It was great fun and really nice to be part of a bigger event.

Also remember the invite we had from the Water Wags to take part in their Worlds in Dún Laoghaire. Really thought we should of tried to pull that one together as it would of been great fun.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
TimD

Post by TimD »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd been thinking in terms of a weekend (or long weekend) event rather than doing the full week with the classic boats. However, if the classic boat people don't want us (or at least GRP boats) then I'll have to think of another way to skin the cat!

It might be possible to get Plymouth City Council to DOA reasonable deal on dinghy and car parking at Elphinstone (next to the old Mayflower SC premises. I'm not sure Mayflower organise racing any more but the RPCYC (clubhouse five minutes walk away) might be happy to let us join in one of their opens

Another alternative might be to see if we can get a class in the PPSA dinghy regatta. This is based around the Mountbatten Watersports centre which is across the Cattewater from the Barbican. There is a water taxi service though.

I'll do a bit more homework and start talking to a few people. I've been out of the sailing scene for ten years (and I was racing yachts then) but I've kept in touch with people so hopefully can get some goodwill.

Will update this as and when.

Incidentally, those of you that remember Plymouth from regattas in the 80s will be amazed at how much the waterfront area around Sutton Harbour, the Barbican and the Hoe have changed!