Picnic race

Chat about CVRDA events
PeterV

Picnic race

Post by PeterV »

Keith has kindly invited us again to Severn sailing club for the picnic race on the river Avon (or is it the Severn) on 29 May 2017. One race down river, lunch then one race up river.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Re: Picnic race

Post by roger »

Can we get the motorway bridge raised? :oops:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

....and if they dredge the river and find the lead off my centreboard!

On the serious side yes please it was a very good day on the river and a good friendly club.

PS Roger I have a shorter rig if needed.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

No need to raise the M5 bridge, this is how its done.....https://www.facebook.com/PowerboatNatio ... 551497207/
roger

Post by roger »

We did that on the way back but I didn't need to hang a bag from the Mast. Kens weight on the side was sufficient.

Chris where would be the fun in that :D :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

Afternoon all, do we need to inform of numbers, boat, whether camping etc as we did last year?
See you soon
Tim
1965 Albacore No 1775 "XQSME"
previous = 1962 Wayfarer W170 "Peter Pan"
Flying Fifteen
Twister
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Tis a brilliant piece of boatmanship.....and I have often enjoyed watching it, but I am still a bit confused as to how it is done.

OK the water ballast pulls over the masts, but how is the lean initially introduced and how is the boat returned to upright again?

Are there people inside the boat, moving other internal ballast? Does the height increase the leverage? Presumably, but this wouldn't explain how the lean is first induced, or the boat brought up again once through the bridge. Is it all a case of perfect balance and simply one or two crew are enough to induce the roll....or a metre or two of height on the ballast makes all the difference?

Go on....someone can tell me and make me feel a bit stupid.

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
trebor

Post by trebor »

Wow, well thought out solution, I would guess that once you started to hoist weights from below deck level the mast would cant over and stay canted, if weights swung towards centre of boat you would go back to vertical, ouch.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

Hi All,

This event seems to have rather crept up on me, now less than 4 weeks away! Here's some information:

The Avon River Rally is on Bank Holiday Monday 29th May 2017 at Severn Sailing Club, Bredon’s Norton, Near Tewkesbury GL20 7HD

The event is a Long Distance ‘Picnic Race’, approx. 9mile round trip with a stop for Lunch at Tewkesbury CSC (bar and Galley usually open at TCSC)
Briefing 10.30AM, Starting Window 11AM to 11.20AM
Entry fee £5 per boat plus a £1 donation to the RNLI per sailor.

The river is quite narrow so not suited to the biggest dinghies (up to about 16’ is ok – Fireballs have been sailed successfully). There is also the motorway bridge at Bredon to get under, most dinghies have no issues getting under this (a Zenith with a 23’7’’ mast is fine), I’ve spoken to the navigation authority to get a proper clearance figure, after much head scratching they said “25’ at normal summer levels” but I think this would be cutting it fine as we worked this out for ourselves last year (sorry Chris!).

Teas available at SSC following completion of the race.

Free camping/camper vans on Sunday night, well stocked bar. Sunday night food tbc, I’m thinking either a BYO BBQ or a fish supper (I’ll take orders and collect from Tewkes) – any preferences?

CVRDA Boats are invited to join the club racing at SSC on Sunday 29th May (starts at 11.30am, 1.30pm & 3.30pm).

NOR, SI and further info (inc how to find us) will be available soon at http://www.severnsailing.org.uk

It would be handy to know roughly how many visitors to expect whether people will arrive Sunday or Monday.

Thanks
Keith
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
chris

Post by chris »

Yes, we are coming, probably on sunday and camping again.

Gently's mast was nominally a 25 footer but that is above the sheerline so lets say the mast was actually 26ft above the water and judgiing by the marks on it was about 8" too tall. So yes in theory bridge clearance is about 25ft but a 25ft mast is not going to fit without heeling over.
Note to self: put the short mast on for Roger!
Chris and Lois
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

Evening.

I will be there , arriving some time Sunday to camp.

One Albacore
Two cars
Two people....

See you soon
Tim
Flying Fifteen
Twister
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

Also, I think our preference would be a BYO BBQ....
Flying Fifteen
Twister
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

So... getting under that bridge.

https://www.facebook.com/PowerboatNatio ... 551497207/

Ed wrote:Tis a brilliant piece of boatmanship.....and I have often enjoyed watching it, but I am still a bit confused as to how it is done.

OK the water ballast pulls over the masts, but how is the lean initially introduced and how is the boat returned to upright again?

Are there people inside the boat, moving other internal ballast? Does the height increase the leverage? Presumably, but this wouldn't explain how the lean is first induced, or the boat brought up again once through the bridge. Is it all a case of perfect balance and simply one or two crew are enough to induce the roll....or a metre or two of height on the ballast makes all the difference?

Go on....someone can tell me and make me feel a bit stupid.

Best wishes

eib
Here's my theory. Once you have the theory it's too simple. :shock:

:idea: First, there is no danger of a sudden capsize as the boat heels over, because ...

1.) the righting moment from the keel will increase as its centre of gravity is moved outboard to the Port side,

and ...
2.) As more of the starboard hull goes under water, its increasing buoyancy will also move the righting moment further outboard to the starboard side. Once the boat is over to @ 45' the incremental increase in the heeling moment (from those sacks) PER degree of heel gets steadily less. (Do the trigonometry!) :roll:

:idea: Secondly, on a boat of this size there will be port and starboard fuel and water tanks. These will have pumps in them to allow the water /fuel to be equalised between them. Easily controlled movable ballast! :lol:
Michael Brigg
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

Thanks Tim, Chris and Lois - see you there.....
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
Pat

Post by Pat »

We're hoping to come this year, preferably on Sunday if we can get everything sorted and the van turned back into a camper rather than a builder's truck. I suggest you wait to see the weather forecast before you decide about a barbecue.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)