Thankyou Frensham!

Chat about CVRDA events
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Cor Ed, I was getting very worried reading that post, wondering where and when my rudder will feature !!!!;)

I can't match any of that, but I do have a house to finish, and a job that seems to take up much more time than it should considering the amount they (don't) pay me. O, and a 16 month old.:D
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
chris

Post by chris »

My list includes:
albacore rebuild c.1965
square piano c.1769
square piano 1787
square piano c.1795
another sqaure piano c.1795
yet another c.1800
and another 1807
and another c.1810
All to totally restore (also known as retirement fund)

plus a grand piano to build with Fluid tuning - if it comes off this will be the world's first.

I've been trying to fit in the albacore for at least three years now.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Yep thanks go to Frensham, both for event and supplying helmsman...

Makes my job list look tiny. My old gull went today asa program to reduce the boat count. As the guy arrived to collect it teh other half announced that she wished I hadn't sold it so she had something to sail! Sigh. I'd better get the Eleven Plus further up the job list than the new Canoe I suppose...
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Thank you for all your kind thoughts. With 23 boats entered, and the resulting possible congestion on the pond, Charles and I now have to think how we develop this event for next year and after. Several thoughts come to mind, from restricting the event to specific classes in the hope that we could generate a Regatta of Merlins/Nationals etc, to an open and larger Festival of Classics, with shore attractions (Boat Builder/Boat Jumble), etc. No decisions, of course, at this point, but if you have any thoughts as to how you would like to see this event develop, we would be glad to hear them, either on the forum, or separately.

Kind regards

Nick
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Personally, I like the larger festival of classics idea, even if it became an event the cvrda supported, rather than a cvrda event. An inland/dinghy version of the french events. Trouble is, they rely on outside people coming in, whereas an event at Frensham would have to be for the sailors/owners and friends, rather than open to the public, I feel?
If big enough, you could kick all the new boats off the water for the weekend, and invite the 12s, Merlins, Tideways and all to come and class race, and then have a handicap fleet for any class with less than 6 boats, or something. Plenty of room on shore for dispalying boats that maybe are 1/2 finished, or the like? Sounds like it could be a great weekend!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

As an aside, could I tactfully suggest some remidy to the slipperyness of the slipway. I slipped getting the boat out on sunday and sat down heavily and am just starting to be able to move again. By monday my back was totally bu----ed. A weekly scrubbing or even chicken wire layed over could do it.
Apart from that it is always an event not to be missed and as long as either 'vintage' or 'merlin' are in the programme I'll be there.
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Chris

Thank you. I'm sorry you were injured. We will certainly take note of what you say. It's timely, too, as we have the Access National Championships for the disabled in September.

Thanks again, I hope you repair quickly.

Nick
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

"Kick all the other boats off the water" - Now, that I like. As it 'appens, we may have a spare weekend next year, as we will not be running the National Championships of the Access classes. Watch this space.

Nick
chris

Post by chris »

Am on the mend OK Nick,
Many thanks,
Chris
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Good pictures of Half Cut and Terrapin on the Merlin Frensham report!!

http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/reports/o ... intage.htm
Pat

Post by Pat »

Thanks Garry - hadn't seen those. That was before we both had a smashing time at Dorchester (literally). Would you believe the wind suddenly gusted so strong as to lift such heavy boats off their trolleys??
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

Oh dear! tell us more, Pat
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Contacting stockbroker to buy shares in West and SP Systems (and possibly Ronseal!!) Hope that the damage isn't too extensive