Hykeham Race report

Chat about CVRDA events
sam mason

Hykeham Race report

Post by sam mason »

After all the excitement with policemen and wild teenage parties it was quite refreshing to actually go sailing.
Saturday started wet with a light to moderate westerly breeze. First visitor to arrive was Lyndon Beasley (Greensforge) with one of his moths soon followed by Paul Jago (Attenborough) and his Streaker. Unfortunately these were the only visitors if you don't count Sam Mason who entered under the burgee of Overy Staithe.
The rain had finally stopped by the start of the first race and the highly experienced Steve Sallis and his team got the 6 boat fleet away in the west end of the lake in about force 2 with a tendency to drop. Sam Mason crewed by Debbie Harries took the lead at the end of the first lap and promptly disappeared into the distance. Richard Wood and Carole Sallis , Enterprise Hykeham , and Paul Jago slugged it out for second and third with the Enterprise taking second
For the second race the wind had dropped slightly and become variable in strength and direction. The early pace was set by Sam Davys firefly (Hykeham) but as the wind dropped even further he was gobbled up by the faster boats. Wood and Jago battled it out for first place with the Ent again taking honours and The Albacore of Pete Bayliss and David O'Brein taking third after a Sam Mason boat tune at lunch time.

Race 3 Was a light aired affair with the whole fleet swapping places and circulating pretty much together until the revitalised Pete Bayliss, who doesn't miss much anyway, got the right side of a major shift and sailed off into the distance The Enterprise took second with Sam Mason coming in third.

A pleasant evening was spent at the club with the traditional charred meat on the menu.

Sunday dawned sunny, hot, and windless and Steve Sallis ,after much consideration and consultation , abandoned further racing at 1130
Not perfect but very enjoyable just the same. IF Hykeham do it again next year we could do with a bit more support. Do come along Its quite nice really!!
Overall
!st Enterprise Richard Wood and Carole Sallis Hykehan
2nd Albacore Sam mason and Debbie Harries Overy Staithe
3rd Streaker Paul Jago Attenborough
4th Albacore Pete Baylis and David O'Brien Hykeham
5thMoth Lyndon Beasley Greens forge
6th Firefly (S/H) Sam Davy Hykeham

Sam
bornagainmothie

Re: Hykeham Race report

Post by bornagainmothie »

Thanks Sam, Steve and all at Hykeham for organising a great weekend. I look forward to returning next year and I hope more are able to join us.

Cheers
Lyndon
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Lyndon and indeed every one else .It is always a pleasure to have you here and the club have as good as said we can have one more try next year but there is time for that to change. In the meantime I have put a few pictures up on the face book page so you can see what you did or didn't miss. Pictures courtesy of Terry Mason no relation but one of my fishing cronies which is why I feature a lot..... And I thought it was my boyish good looks
Sam
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Sorry I couldn't come, clashed with the Finn nationals but you did look very photogenic, the boat that is, not you Sam!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Warsash is a long way to come to watch ducks as per Sunday but the racing was , as ever, excellent on the previous day