Thanks, Brizzle

Chat about CVRDA events
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Thank you Baltic Wharf and especially the rescue boat crew. I'm sorry not to have been on the site earlier but have been laid up in bed with D&V.
Cheers al
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Great time at Bristol....but I had the same problem as Alan, I presume there was something nasty in the mud.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Or was it the old joke about the dodgy pie in the pub?

Sorry to hear you've both been unwell, I suppose the only solution is to keep the boat upright!
The Harbourmaster regularly tests the water and it's usually very clean. I'm not sure he tests the mud though.....
At least we will not have everyone complaining there's never any wind in the docks.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well......I spent more time in the water than most....and I have been fine.

but then......I might well of built up a resistance to it.....as a kid I lived on bank of Thames and was in river just about every day of the summer and it was a whole bunch dirtier than it is now. Friends would regularly come and visit and go swimming and then go down with 'riveritus' when they got home. During time at Bristol, I spent more time in the drink than most. These days I regularly swim in the Tamar, even though the water & mud is reputedly full of arsenic.....never had any problem - so far!

For what it is worth, whilst I was on the Bristol Harbour Users committee (late 90s). the water was regularly tested and always to Blue Flag standards and cleaner than Portishead and Weston-s-mare...and often Chew which used to suffer from high levels of fertiliser run-off. Stu tells me this is no longer so and due to recent high temps in the summer there has been a rise in e-coli results in the harbour. This may be true - can't say - don't know. The only thing that worries me is the occasional film of diesel you see on the water. This is quite rare.....but there was some on Saturday.

Personally I think the Pie is far more likely....what did you both eat?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Pat

Post by Pat »

And Sandy blamed my curry...
We didn't swim on Saturday but he was spending rather more time in the bathroom for the next couple of days.

I thought he just liked watching the new sails dry:)
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Could it e something we caught from one of the Finn sailors?

I had it (Steak and Ale Pie + limited exposure to the elements) but Pauline had it worse, Scampi Tails and NO exposure to the elements.

I alweays thought that there was an unhealthy streak in them somewhere

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

That's very bizarre...Both myself and Anne had the Scampi.....Anne was fine.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Was sad when i couldn't make it to Baltic wharf but feeling rather lucky now :D. CVRDA could mean something totally different with a v and a d in it . Answers on a postcard please .
DJSpencer-Smith
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Continuous Vomiting, Retching, Diahorrhoea and Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrgh (not again)!

Diarrhoea is the passing of frequent, watery stools according to the NHS direct website but I thought this was an oblique reference to the capsized sliding seat!!!!!! As a matter of interest how did the pink sailed Unit go?

Also now glad I didn't get to go (not really - was there in spirit)!! A journey back from Bristol to Edinburgh with the with easy jet (lends a whole new dimension to the name!!) would have been fun never mind the 3 hour car journey from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

You just don't know what you missed!!!!!LOTS of P*ss taking that sommehow seemed to coincide with me hoisting the sail. Yes - the numbers are PINK - and BIG, there was no mistaking quite what the boat was.

More fun was had as I'd been very foolish indeed and totally ignored all the good advice offered on this website. To all those who told me NEVER USE PROLUBE on a sliding seat I can only say thanks - the head is nearly healed now (THis refers to sitting on the seat only to have it slide, rapidly, away to leeward. Only contact between the forehead and the boom saved me from a high speed launch into the murky depths of the Docks.

If you want to see a picture of the Unit try............

http://www.bearfacemedia.co.uk/Classic_ ... vents.aspx

I've had to promise that when I manage to get another sail (one with marginally less fullness!) I'll ensure that the nuumbering stays the same!

You can have a go in the Unit yourself next season, Rupert will I'm sure supply you with the mandatory matching pink hair band!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

It must have been the food I didnt stay for dinner and brought a packed lunch. Mind you constant and regular immersion in various lakes and ponds ranging from Ulswater and Queen Mary to Shearwater Wimbleball and Sutton Bingham have possibly built up sufficient antibodies to protect me from most lurgies.:x
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I honestly think the food....or drink is much more likely....or even some bugger going round with a nasty bug spreading it around to whoever was interested.
About 6 months or so ago, I had something exactly like this - knocked me out for days - I even fainted whilst trying to get in or out of bed, can't remember which.

Anybody feel like asking the Cottage if they had any other problems reported....not that they would say if they did I guess.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

David,

that link did not seem to work for me?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
keithr

Post by keithr »

I usually have the constitution of an OX but I am certainly not 100% this week, and must not stray too far from the small room, also I did not eat anything from the pub so its not the food. Mind I was in ordinary clothes so could be a chill!!!!!

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
davidh

Post by davidh »

ed,

Grrrrr...... IT!

Okay, just go to the main website which is........

http://www.bearfacemedia.co.uk

and just click on the Classic events section.

Hope to have more pictures soon

D
David H