Whitefriars 2008

Chat about CVRDA events
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Keith,

staylittle? Yes Please for us 3 (soon to ne 4!)
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
roger

Post by roger »

Regarding the sea versus inland sailing. I have sailed the old Hornet at Netley and to be honest Clwedog is much harder on boats than Netley. However I was talking to Chris Barlow the other day and he is genuinely concerned over weak points on the boat that he feels would be vulnerable to continual wave action. I think you have to accept that some boats will not turn up to sea/estuary events for fear of making existing problems worse.
As the old planker gets broken on every trip and I am learning her weak points she will just get stronger with every outing.:D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Well said Roger!

Much of what has gone before on this string is totally valid, irrespective of the viewpoint. One just cannot say what conditions an event will throw at you. I've been to Lyme Regis, surely one of the most 'exposed' locations there is - to be greated by a F2 and a spopple on the water that would make sailing a British Moth a joy. Equally, I've been to Chew valley and raced in slamming gusts that kicked up a boat jarring chop for the slog upwind (and that was in a Merlin too!).

Over the last couple of years I've Race Officered for several Nationals, held in the school summer holidays (gary...sorry, English school holidays... Paisley Buddy week doesn't extend this far south)and had conditions so hot that we had to take precautions to prevent competitors de-hydrating....but the same week, the following year saw a cool NW 4-5 that would have tested even Alan in his Cat.
It is the old handicap adage I'm afraid - horses for courses. Lets give 2007 a spin and see what we should do differntly in 2008!

D
PS.... Gary - you have exalted company in your part of the world. Craig Moffet lives near you ????? (Irish guy, top yachter back in the days when Alans dog was a puppy).......

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Having sailed both Brightlingsea and the waters of Netley as well as a few other sea venues I can say that these are probably the most sheltered sea venues around. The waters are so varied that the courses can be adjusted to keep us in sheltered areas.
Anyway wave action is just as continual and consistent as Shearwater winds!

We're certainly up for sea sailing in Half Cut. She went so well at Brightlingsea last year. As always it is up to the individual to judge.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

By Dog David I take it that you mean my spaniel and not my Shark or Finn. Otherwise you know what used to happen when statements as bold as these were made in the old Hornet days. First Warning!! . Yellow card to follow.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan,

I COULD have said "when God's dog was a puppy" but you (and maybe Roger) would know that for Horneteers the three letter G word was nothing more than a Palindrome of 'DOG' - hence 'Spotty G**'.

and if I had said that the time referred to was way back then I'd have had the automatic red card and early bath.

For non Horneteers, ignore this email...... tis just theresult of too much overindulgence at Weston, Plymouth, Burnham, Brightlingsea etc etc etc.....

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Ah such sweet Hornet days!!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dave (and alan...roger.....etc)

yes they were BUT......

I've just been writing about the late 70's/early 80's for the Contender Book and cannot help but think - was that really how we behaved at Open Meetings? These days, if you acted like that you would be a served with an ASBO before you could ask when the next race started!

Shame though - but good fun whle it lasted!

D
David H