Bob Corefield - Bad news

and what is happening with the CVRDA today?
Ed
Site Admin

Bob Corefield - Bad news

Post by Ed »

All,

I have just heard from Sean Carter that Bob Corefield died yesterday aboard his boat.

I had been aware that he wasn't in such good health recently and we hadn't seen him at any CVRDA events for a couple of years, but I knew he had been working and living on his boat in Saltford.

I know many of us will keep wonderful memories of sailing with Bob, especially when he was at the helm of a Mercury. He was always at the front of the fleet and almost impossible to get in front of on the river. A few years ago, we did the Nats together in the Jollyboat (with me on the wire) and although our bodies creaked and groaned, we giggled, swore and laughed; it was great fun and a regatta to remember.

Bob was absolutely one of the 'key' founding members of the CVRDA and it was he who came up with the CVRDA's alternative name: The KNackered Old Boat Society. In those early days, people really wondered what we were trying to do and thought the whole thing was bit of a joke, but no we would say, just KNOBS.

I will miss him, so if you get the chance, raise a mug of coffee or something and wish him Bon Voyage.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Re: Bob Corefield - Bad news

Post by chris »

That is sad news, Bob was great fun. He called in at Shearwater towards the end of last to say he was off on his boat and to say goodbye. We had quite a chat and it seemed very much that he knew this was a final goodbye though he wasn't specific.
He'll be missed
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'm very saddened with this news - I spent a wonderful (and extended time) out with Bob and Sue in Brisbane.

(I know that Bob and Sue were 'estranged' but does anyone have a contact email for her please)

I'd been waiting for Bob to visit here on the Island, it is such a dark thought knowing that he's not coming to visit now,

Dougal
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Sad news, my lasting memory of Bob was at my first Roadford event and he was trying to repair an old 5o5 that was sinking under him desperately trying to get something to stick to damp grp.

Always great fun to be around and as Ed said in the Mercury very difficult to beat, actually very difficult to get near.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Very sad. I will remember him at the Nationals at Netley, having a good laugh while wearing a ridiculous outfit, and sailing his Mercury very well.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

I had forgotten about the outfit :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Top Man RIP
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sad news indeed. I first met Bob at Bristol Avon, and he was a leading light in getting Andrew Thornhill's Classic Regattas up and running.

I think my abiding memory will be of Christine taking over the helm (on a regular basis, this is) during the race after lunch while Bob would wee down the centreboard case. Usually, the boat would go faster while this was happening.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Powerful wee :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think Chris would concentrate very hard on the sails...
Rupert