Proposal for AGM

and what is happening with the CVRDA today?
Pat

Proposal for AGM

Post by Pat »

With it now being 20 years since the CVRDA was formed, originally to provide racing for boats over 25 years old, I feel it is time to look at the wing dates again. Also we moved to "built before 1985" about ten years ago and 1985 is now 35 years ago!

What I propose is that we do not alter the design eligibility (classes designed before 1965 plus lost and invited) but amend the built before date to BEFORE 1990

Since this makes the Old Wing larger, the Classic wing would then become boats built BEFORE 1970

Also this would extend the "Lost classes" to those designed and built before 1990 and the cats and invited classes to those built before 1990 - we are already quite specific with these (e.g. only aluminium rig Phantoms are allowed I believe).

AND we only previously included invited classes (Streaker, Contender, Phantom, Lark etc ) as a two year trial which I think has been a success and now needs permanently incorporating.

Finally we need to formally incorporate the ability to sub divide the wings into groups by age or design or whatever for handicapping as we currently do with the International Moths - different handicaps by designs and age.

I'll post the proposed actual constitution wording change ASAP.

But what does everyone think? This forum is the place for discussion rather than at the AGM which serves more to formalise the discussions here.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
jpa_wfsc

Re: Proposal for AGM

Post by jpa_wfsc »

This all sounds very reasonable to me.

Might I suggest something other than the 1970 date?

A lot of boats of the early 70's in classes like the N12 are I think are generally considered to be Classic? China Dolls, Spider and etc. And in the Finns, Nessa's and mine Taylors, double bottomed GRP might perhaps be considered classics (1974 ish) but also displaying design trends that definitely moved the class into a more modern era. And JB built Larks rather than the later and very different Parker Larks?

Perhaps 1975 might be a better cut off - when classes were starting to look at double bottoms, etc?? Or perhaps, state a more general term like 'Mid 1970's' so that some flexibility might be given to the committee?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Yes, I think it is a good idea to move forward and hopefully encourage a slightly wider range of entries. In Moth terms it takes us neatly to an era where the hulls were becoming narrower but carbon rigs were still out of reach for most.

Cheers

Lyndon
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

I agree wholeheartedly with Pat. Move everything forward 5 years and leave the design criteria as it is.
The quantum jump came about 1990 in most classes when viable FRP came on line and there was an instant difference in boat performance. Perhaps we should look at Wood built 1990 or before any construction pre 1985 . This opens up the field to lots of Enterprises .Solos, Grads etc that before were outside looking in
Sam
Pat

Post by Pat »

Here is the final proposed amendment wording alongside the current constitution wording.
Classification Amendments 2019 - Proposed.pdf
(27.53 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)