Typhoon Dinghy

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

I have been offered a Typhoon dinghy (never seen one of these). A Proctor racer. 14'6" LOA 135 sq ft sail area + 125 sq ft spinny. Trapeze. Aged trailer. Not for me. So over to you lot! Available to view at Taplow Lake SC. Contact Terry Taylor 01628 604968.

email me and I can send a pic+ 1972 spec. jonathan.reubin@ntlworld.com
davidh

Post by davidh »

Salut mes amis!

Typhoon - now there is a boat that is an interesting topic! If you use the search facility on the website you'll see that they have featured many times before - for a whole variety of reasons.

In short, this was Ian Proctor's idea for a high performance dinghy to match the growing market for a mid ranged rocketship - an area dominated in those days by the Hornet, 470, Fireball. The word is that IP started with the underwater sections of a Merlin IXb which he then modified to give a stable platform for a trapeze crew. The boat had many 'novel features' - recesses in the decking to take the spinni pole and a shaped foredeck to direct windflow up onto the job.

In the end though - it didn't work. Not a lot wrong with the boat, but it suffered from the same fate as the Ghost. Given a thumping Handicap early on gave it the kiss of death, and the rest, as they say, is history!

I'm one of the few who managed to get a sail in a Typhoon, albeit in almost zero wind, it was uncomfortable and didn't set the world alight for performance. Tim Hockin, then at proctors and a top MR sailor, described the boat as a 'cow to get going! in anything other than a good breeze.

If you want more info I did cover the Typhoon in the first series of articles 'The Lost Classes' for Dinghy Sailing Mag, however, if it's just a picture you want to see then there are some on the website

http://www.bearfacemedia.co.uk

despite the above comments, I'd love to sail one again - I suppose I could always part with Unit 7 (pink sails included)......

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Oops - sorry, I should also have added that you'l have to look under 'research - Typhoon' - There are also some new shots of Unit 7 taken at Netley!

D
David H
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

If its any help, I think this might be a freeby or donation to charity.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DOn't think we should let this one get away Jonathan. I am sure it would look good at Brightlingsea.

Cheers
D
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Well I might need some time to get it back together, but we will have to see whether the good or bad reports about the boat are right! I book you a sail David.

D
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

Well, I think I might need to find my diving suit and waterwings. "WET" is the summary I recently had for this boat. I am really looking forward to it.
Jonathan