What is this boat?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nigel

What is this boat?

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

this is definitely no a Laser. It lloks to my untrained eye a little like an MR in shape but it is not clinker.

Any ideas or is it one for the Xmas quiz?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sailing-boat-Ding ... dZViewItem

Best Regards,

Nigel
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Could it be a Hornet - it has one of those sacrificial rubbing strakes!!! Thought I imagined a trapeze?
Definitely not a Merlin
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Phantom or Mirror 14?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
JimC

Post by JimC »

That's a very bent mast for a "Ready to Go" boat... I'm not convinced about the bow for a Mirror 14.
davidh

Post by davidh »

You'e right = bow section is wrong for a Mirror 14. The hull sections do look very much like a Pahnton but then the rest of it is wrong for that SO... could this be a Seafire?

Whatever - I like it, that's an interesting boat there but as has been pointed out, £275 for a ready to sail boat is one thing, that much for a boat with a crocked mast is something very different.

I'd been looking at the Seafire as one of the few boats with the potential to beat the OK/Pegasus stranglehold - all the more so if the Nationals are going to be on salty water in 2008!!

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

A follow up to my previous comment! I've rooted around in my files and unles someone can tell me otherwise I'd definitely now say that this is a Seafire. Interesting - this is the 2nd one to come up for sale in little over a month.

Fulfills all the requirements of the CVRDA and an be sailed as a one or two man boat. Way back in the years of old someone used to bring a Seafire to Netley Cliff for the Civil Service Dinghy Championships, I seem to recall he was always very competitive.

Handicap wise the boat sailed of 98 as a singe hander but only 95 as a two man boat complete with trapeze and a spinnaker.

They were also built with a grp hull........ an interesting project for somene!

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote:I'd definitely now say that this is a Seafire.
The bow is certainly right for that - and pig ugly too IMHO...
Rich

Post by Rich »

See it's now being described as a Phantom. The hull section and transom certainly look Phantomish but the front bulk head area doesn't look quite right. though it's difficult to tell with that surf board stuck in the way. nice of the seller to go to so much trouble with the photos. If it is a Phantom then it's obviously been left out in the rain as it would appear to have shrunk by 6 inches :D
Rich
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rich,

Sorry - it's a seafire, 'nae doot' as some of our members would say!

It is not difficult to see where Paul Wright got the idea for the Phantom from - but clearly in this case he was following an idea rather than being the trendsetter.

Later seafires came in grp with a bow tank and raised crew deck area - a bit like an early version of a trapeze rigged Hornet (or many FDs for that matter).

Should this boat be saved as a good example of a 'lost class'? Yes, I think it should, it would be a shame if these boats were lost for good. You also find Seaflys around too - in fact there is one for sale right now. Another good boat though not so rae, nor so desirebale, as the bigger sister, the seafire.

If being a handicap bandit was the raison d'etre, that or a successful campaign in the CVRDA, this boat could well be a worth consideration, both in it's one man and two man guises.

Any takers?

D
David H
Rich

Post by Rich »

David, it's certainly an interesting boat. I'm looking for a 2 man boat for my next project but I think I'd have to give this one a miss given the price, location and bent mast. Be interesting to see if it finds a buyer though.
Rich
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rich.

Another seafire, one with a grp hull, went recently (like, no more than 6 week ago) for £21...... but that one was in North Wales. IF...if this was sensibly priced, if it wasn't in Kings Lynn and was closer to the Solent, if, if , if.... then yes, I too would take a long hard look at it. S. Herberts son is still in existence and sometimes appears on scuttlebutt - I had wondered if he would be appearing here too.

There has been much made in recent strings about the future of the CVRDA. To my mind, identifying boats like this - ten saving an example or two, is really 'just where it is at'. That you could get a damn good boat out of it too is just icing on the cake!

can you let me know Rich if you do find one and make it a project, I'd love some extra photo's and detailed information on the boat for the files.

D

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

they guy has now posted a picture of the sail. It has a black "C" on what looks like a bed of flames. Anyone recognise it? I don't.

Nigel
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

C+flames= seafire ????
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nigel wrote:C+flames= seafire ????
'Tis indeed.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Yup, the red top panel is a dead give away for the seafire/seafly marque, No17 is an early one too. I noticed having had a much closer look at the pictures that there is damage to the gunwale right aft - because of it's age - and the likelhood of being sat for a long period with damp in the hull I think you'd need to look long and hard at the hull either side of the plate case and in the area under the mast (the same places in fact that the old Mirror 14' went on their way to the big bonfire in the sky!)

But....if the hull IS sound, how about some of the east coast boys having a look at it - what aproject that would make. We've already got Dave C with a Typhoon now, one of these...add in the hoped for 'Challenge' dinghy that is nearing completion, Netley really could be a showcase of 'lost' classes. BTW - a 'Vagabond' has already committed to Netley 2008, as has an Axe One design (very Tideway ish)

37 entries to go....

D
David H