Merlin Bits

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Well, like Rupert I bought a boat from eBay. A Merlin Rocket for the grand sum of £10.50.

OK, it had some holes in the rear floor and when I loaded on the trailer it looked OK and I was thinking maybe for the price of some ply she could be sailable.

After driving for a few miles I hit a pothole and there was a loud bang as the trailer went through the hull......

On getting the boat home she was rotten along the entire keel, all the glue between planks had failed and the lands of most planks were rotten as was the transom. In fact the only thing holding the boat together was the paint.

This was the first boat I've had with dry rot so she could not even be used as a book case.

Anyway considering I only bought the boat for the bouyancy bags I'm up on the deal as I have a good pair of bailers for the Pegasus, some nice blocks and shackles and the the trailer will get used.

SO I now have three Merlin Masts that came with the boat all Proctor 21' and one has a nice boom.

Mast one has a boom and is complete. Masts two and three are missing spreaders but are straight and have rigging and various fittings.

I also have 2 suits of Merlin Sails There is one nice main and a good spinnaker, the rest are usable.

These are surplus to requirements so if anyone wants/needs any masts or sails in exchange for a small donation to CVRDA funds please let me know.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Neil,

I have recently bought a merlin that I am having to redeck and glue some joints.

The merlin came without a spinnaker or pole and I would be interested in a main, spinnaker plus a pole if one was going.

If you know the diameter of one of the masts, I may also be interested, but I would probably need to modify the mast gate as I think a needlespar is narrower.

Steve
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I've had one reply already about some sails but there's enough to share.

I realised what I haven't done is measure the sails as I know that mains are different sizes.

I'll also measure the masts but I wont be able to get the measuring done until the weekend.

I'm afraid I dont have a merlin pole.
regards

Neil

Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Neil,

What number of Merlin was she as a matter of interest? 172*, 17*8 or 1*28 would be good as it would save on buying the numbers!!! (You can tell I'm living in Scotland) Mine is a Proctor IX.

Regards

Garry
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

She was 2252.......

Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Neil,

Just wondered whether you still have any of those sails available?

Regards

Steve
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Steve/Garry

I have yet to get into the boatshed to find the sails and measure them for you. I will get to it this weekend - sorry for any delay!

Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Hi, Neil,

Many Thanks

Steve