Free uffa king

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Garry R

Re: Free uffa king

Post by Garry R »

We'll all pop along to see the boat soon - what are the visiting hours in the asylum!!
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Go for it Garry and join the UK UK fleet. If this one makes the water again we could have 4 or 5 on a start line one day! No life jackets, rope soled shoes, canvas shorts and old woolly jumpers. And a capsize leaving you looking for the nearest beach.
highburyal

Post by highburyal »

She's home now and undercover to dry off. First inspection shows the hull to be in reasonable condition though the decks will need replacing. The wooden mast is also bent quite a bit towards one side, can this be straightened? No doubt I'll be posting more soon for advice on how to proceed. Al
chris

Post by chris »

Glad she has new home.
I reckon the mast will open up into the two halves easily so no problem about regluing in a straight line.
Chris
highburyal

Post by highburyal »

chris wrote:I reckon the mast will open up into the two halves easily so no problem about regluing in a straight line.
Chris
Chris (or anyone else),

The mast is coming unglued, so should split without too much difficulty. There is a definate bend about 2/3 the way up the mast; do I need to straighten this first, or will it be sufficient to reglue the mast and hold it straight while the glue sets. I would have thought the later would leave a lot of stress in the mast, if the former, how would I go about straightening the bend?

Thanks,

Al
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I would guess at damping the mast when in two bits then weigh down on a flat floor and let it dry off. That has worked for me with old table tops and stuff but never done a mast as mine did split but was not bent. Good luck. Oh yes could I suggest you put some internal strengtheners in the mast whilst in two bits. Also to save swearing later, before gluing up, put your haliyard mousing in the mast but take care not to glue them in!
highburyal

Post by highburyal »

jonathan wrote:I would guess at damping the mast when in two bits then weigh down on a flat floor and let it dry off. That has worked for me with old table tops and stuff but never done a mast as mine did split but was not bent.
I was wondering if I should try to steam the bent section before staightening, would this work?
Oh yes could I suggest you put some internal strengtheners in the mast whilst in two bits.
Not sure how to do this? Can you elucidate.

Thanks,

Al
chris

Post by chris »

I would suggest opening up the mast be tapping a stout kitchen knife along the seam - I don't think it will be more difficult than that. then store the two halves flat for a few months before you try any steaming and I think you will have it straight enough for the next step. I just think that if you steam one half that after you have rejoined it the mast will have an uneven stress in it it and it is more likely to bend later. If it was a good mast the two halves should be opened out and turned to match any stresses inthe finished mast. It's probably only bent because of poor storage or the sun only hitting one side and not the other. I don't think a small amount of curve left before regluing would be a problem.
If anything the problem might be that the timber has dried too much and therefore the joint will have opened out and no longer form a good joint along the seem.

I would have been tempted to sink the whole boat for a few weeks before doing anything - maybe the mast needs that too.
Chris