Fairey Int 14 - K556 - Iolanthe

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Ed
Site Admin

Fairey Int 14 - K556 - Iolanthe

Post by Ed »

Int 14 K556 for sale - Iolanthe - 1949

This boat is really very beautiful. I bought it 6 or 7 years ago in need of a total renovation, sitting in a shed in Wiltshire. I got it at a time when I had access to quite a bit of internal storage and wanted a fun boat for sailing evenings on Bristol Harbour, which she was, but now I just don't get to sail her any more.

The Fairey builders plate suggests she was the 5th Mk 1 Fairey Mouldie made, however she is the 12 registered in the class. This is not un-normal with the way that Fairey boats were batch built. She is an exact sister of 555 that was owned by Shorty Tringingham in Bermuda and much photographed.

She had some success in the 1950s on the Thames:
1952 - Tamesis Anchor - Tamesis helmed by L.Durham
1952 - Webster Cup - Tamesis helmed by L.Durham & B.Southcott
1955 - Ranelagh Trophy helmed by Brian Southcott
1956 - Waterton Cup - Tamesis helmed by Brian Southcott
1957 - Tamesis Anchor - Tamesis helmed by C. McNally & W.G.Warren

The renovation took about 3 years (on and off) and I replaced all gunwhales and a few small patches in veneer with a good match of agba.

Sails are practically new, with only a few regattas use. I have to admit that they are not quite right at the moment. They were made up by myself and I have intended to do a little more work on them - the Main is a little flat and the genoa is a little tall and fouls the bottom of jumpers on mast. All very easy to do though.

She is lovely to sail, although like many 14s can be bit of a handful at times. Although a 1949 boat, she is now pretty tough and strong and I have no real worries about pushing her quite hard.

On one hand I will hate to see her go, I have really enjoyed her.....but, on the other hand, I would much prefer to see her being sailed rather than sitting there unused.

She is pretty much ready to go, there are a few bits that could do with an hour or so of work, like one of the jumpers has come loose and also a couple of very small places that need a little varnish and indeed if I was going to sail her much, I would put another coat on top and bottom.

The re-build cost me about £1200 all together, but of course I don't expect to get that for her.

If you are in any way interested in her, please do give me a call and we can discuss it.

I am unlikely to put her on ebay as I really do want to make sure that this wonderful bit of our maritime history is preserved and continues to sail.....hopefully with us. In a perfect world, I guess I would love it to go back to a Thames club.

If anyone has any thoughts - want to buy.....or knows who might, please do get in touch as I have been procrastinating like mad.....but she really does have to go.

cheers

eib

iolanthe-clywedog004small.jpg
(39.41 KiB) Downloaded 945 times
iolanthe-clywedog005small.jpg
(38.01 KiB) Downloaded 928 times
K556_1.jpg
(165.46 KiB) Downloaded 925 times
K556_2.jpg
(149.17 KiB) Downloaded 918 times
K556_3.jpg
(167.71 KiB) Downloaded 909 times
K555-Int14book.jpg
K555 - Barilea - sister boat to Iolanthe
(49.3 KiB) Downloaded 908 times
K555-Int14book2.jpg
K555 - Barilea - sister boat to Iolanthe
(30.88 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Fairey Int 14 - K556 - Iolanthe

Post by Ed »

Still for Sale.

Someone contacted me recently.....but nothing sorted.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it