Credit Crunch Sailing

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nessa

Re: Credit Crunch Sailing

Post by Nessa »

My take on this is slightly different. She and I between us own ye olde phantome, Agamemnon, her olde streaker and my ten year old contender. Last year we boat this latter for £1700 and also bought a new main, carbon boom and mast for more money than I care to think about. But, in terms of month to month maintenance, bimbling etc, the contender will actually be the boat we spend least on in terms of gear etc.

The boat we will spend most on this year will indubitably be Agamemnon. I already have a comprehensive bits box, and as much as possible, the rest of what we need will come from ebay. But varnishes, epoxy, rope etc will be bought new and so will cost proper money.

However, like last year, the bulk of our boat cost will be spent on travelling to contender opens and championships. I do expect the turnout at these events to be considerably down on last year - people in forums are muttering about petrol, entry fees etc, and I think sialors are splashing their cash about a lot more cautiously. To this end, I think club racing could actually do quite well out of the economic down turn, but will the class associations suffer? there will always be die hard travellers, like me, but I suspect the casual attendee will be thinking twice, even about their usual trip to the Nationals.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

My last boat has so far cost me £63 in total and now only needs a rudder so I hope to get it on the market as a ready-to-race vessel this spring.
As with anything it depends what you start with and just as with cars, the depreciation starts as you leave the showroom. With cars it was always buy a two year old and keep it two years. There's probably a similar analogy for least cost with boats.
The level of interest is the biggest factor as there will aways be ways of finding money for the highest priorities.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Pat,

at the risk of hijacking my own thread, what sort of rudder do you need? I have an old solid wooden spoon and stock gathering dust.

Back on thread, my own experience is that £s do not translate directly to enjoyment. I have as much fun sailing my £30 Beachcomber as I do my modern boat that has cost 10 times that much. Racing seems to be the primary issue where money talks but perhaps in these cash strapped times a more imaginative use of handicapping could help - buy a new sail take -50 on your PY (come the revolution etc etc.).

Nigel
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Do bear in mind that fuel costs are about 75% of the cost compared to last year so perhaps there will be larger turnouts this year compared to last. Big factor when coming from Aberdeen. Similarly European holidays will be expensive - the travel agent cost might look attractive but once you get there is won't be as cheap as we have been used to. Soooo - why not give up the European hioliday and come to Clywedog and Roadfors etc which you might not have been keen to do last year.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

My guess is that you're right - if sailing numbers are to hold up, it will be at home. You've already paid for you club membership, so why start trailing off elsewhere (even with the drop in fuel costs), why not stay and enjoy sailing at home.

As to the European angle, one can only say 'ouch' - there is not way that I'll be doing anything abroad this year. I shudder to think how much the 4 day Obelix Trophy in Benodet would cost this year compared to last.

Where this will bite hard is those classes (the Iso, Boss and Buzz spring to mind) where although they call it a 'Europeans', the reality is that it is just an excuse to go somewhere really spectacular such as Garda for an event.

A prediction? It will depend upon how long the cruch lasts for! BUT...should it be as bad as some think it could get (or even worse) then when it finally does start to improve, my money is on sailing looking very different to how it does now.

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Make no mistake the crunch is biting, anyone who denies it has their head in the sand!
Look at the nearly new 2nd hand lists on Class and builders web sites the lists are getting longer, likewise consult your tailor, car dealer, travel agent or even Waitrose!
Gary is right that with fuel coming down in price partly because the cost of the raw material has come down and partly because no one was buying at the old prices! Perhaps this will strengthen our local regattas that have family friendly fascilities (May I put in a word for Oulton Broad Regatta Week.) Lots of classes good mixed dinghy handicap racing lots to do in the bucket & spade/candy floss department lots of opportunities to sail on the Broads Cruisers races and swap boats it all adds to the fun. A cracking club (Waveney & Oulton Broad YC) lovely people great sailing! Accomodation for all tastes and budgets and if with young children consider staying at a nearby Holiday Camp.
I understand that Tummel Week in the Highlands of Scotland is very good fun too.
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Many of us make a holiday around the CVRDA events - Roadford and Clywedog especially as the locations are fantastic. We would certainly do Pyefleet Week at Brightlingsea again too and other weeks have been recommended. As we camp the costs are lower and the biggest problem is having enough days holiday from work for everything we want to do!

I've been saving my Tesco clubcard vouchers for a couple of years and am planning to use them for a crossing to France this year. It's never been a cheap country and I expect it will be much more for food, fuel and camping but with family and friends having houses over there needing work, Sandy may make something out of it.

Credit crunch advice? Look for all the offers and freebies and take advantage of keeping other costs down to keep sailing.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

We're the same - Clywedog is a holiday, I can't count Roadford as it's nearly at the bottom of my garden but we are planning a combined holiday/sailing in the Lake District and to do the Lord Birkett and Finn Northerns whilst up there. Camping is the new Rock'n'Roll. 8)
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Kathryn still has bad memories of an early 90's Firefly Nationals where we camped, and it rained all week, and was freezing. She had just got home from a couple of months in Capri, too...So Roadford is about the longest camping we do. We have booked a mobile home for this year's Nationals at Hamble!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

You're doing the Hamble Nationals???????

Oh dear, watch out for the grumpy old men out on the Committee Boat!

YOu have been warned.

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I did hear that the people involved might be running a smaller event down the road in 2012!
Rupert
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
DSM article now in print but sadly lacking my picture of the completed trestle that shows what you are trying to build!, here is a picture to help
Steve
Attachments
Finished2.jpg
(202.14 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331