GP 7 + 7 or When do two halves not make a whole lot of sense

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Southern377

GP 7 + 7 or When do two halves not make a whole lot of sense

Post by Southern377 »

Why would you? ..... but then looking at the paint job probably answers it ........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GP14-Wooden-Foldi ... 240%3A1318

Alan.
Ancient Geek

Re: GP 7 + 7 or When do two halves not make a whole lot of sense

Post by Ancient Geek »

Well an awful lot more of a problem I'll agree but a lot of Rowing Eights take to bits as anyone who has raced at Ranelagh or been to a rowing school or university will know, so hardly an orininal idea. BUT WHY OH WHY on a 14 footer?
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

The seller must be called "Q" and the boats name?... Little Belle of course :lol:

Little Nell Suitcase sized Helicopter.
Michael Brigg
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I think it's bonkers and absolutely brilliant. Now who can think of how to fold the centreboard in half so that fits then fold the mast in 3 so it doesn't overhang too much?

Someone please buy it!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
JimC

Post by JimC »

PeterV wrote:then fold the mast in 3 so it doesn't overhang too much?
That bit's easy with carbon fibre: sleeve joints at hounds and spreaders... And of course the centreboard solution is a daggerboard... I was thinking what a perfect solution that concept is to my problems with working on the Canoe in the garage:-)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mention of the canoe reminds me of seeing some touring (paddling type) canoes that had slot together frames and a canvas skin. They would pack down into a suitcase. Building a dinghy (or IC) based on that approach would be an interesting project.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The Royal Marines under BLondie Hasler raided FRance and did a lot of damage in folding canoes (Cockleshell Heroes.) Prouts of Sheerwater fame also made foding canoes & small yacht tenders that collapsed occasionally when rowing! Anyone remember Mssr Hulots Holiday?
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've just found a picture of a Fairey folding canoe I did up many years ago. If I did it right, it might even show up on screen...
Attachments
img007.jpg
(50.82 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Something not quite right there, but at least youcan see it...Still struggling to learn about how websites work!
I was 1/2 way through doing the boat when that pic was taken - sadly I can't find any of her on the water.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

There is a song, "All or nothing at all; Half a love never apealed to me..."
wp10465381_0f.jpg
(118.4 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
The transom is used as a drinks table or small bench, a bit like the bow of a merlin once turned up on ebay, somewhat modified, and discussed on a string some way back about what its handicap might be if re-rigged.

This won gardner of the year 2004 so we can truly say in the words of Henry V that "In this rich soil there will forever be fairey dust concealed!"
Lets just hope this fashion doesnt catch on!

I was thinking of posting this under "unforgiveable sins" or something similar. Fans of "Dexter" on TV may think of the "Bay Harbour Butcher."

Then this string comes along and seems rather appropriate now that I've finally (with the help of the NFA) managed to track down a web photograph.

See here:-
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

To fill in the detail - I saw the Merlin bow at Shearwater last year in their clubhouse. Looked like they had used one pack varnish and Toplac on the hull. I am sure it will stand anything that might be spilt on it!!

The Firefly garden seat has now appeared on the new Firefly site under boat register - a different photo - more Marie Celeste without crew!!

This thread reminds me of the Push-me pull u!!

http://www.llamas.co.nz/_borders/push_me_pull_you.jpg
Pat

Post by Pat »

The Lark register records number 49 "Flowerpot" at Northampton Sailing Club as
No idea of racing history but the geraniums look great in season. The boat is being used as a giant flower pot and is in excellent condition for that purpose
There's also entries for the three in the middle of a roundabout in Rugby - someone had to dash through the traffic to get the hull numbers!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Roundabout ornaments...
It is the same in France : I know a geranium filled GRP 470 in Cergy near the lake (probably somebody who left his boat without paying his club fees, A 445 and a plywood unidentified thing somewhere near Dieppe....all those roundabout ornaments, dismasted , fillrd with grass and flowers are a bit of a sad look :roll: :cry: :cry:

The saddest of all (now rotten away and disappeared) a once beautiful Cold molded varnished Finn (full of flowers) in front of a little restaurant in Moisson Lavacourt, near Mantes on the Seine bank.

French authorities went mad about roundabouts some 15 years ago as some technocrat pointed the british example in diminishing the road casualties (and of course a lobby of civil contactors warmly approved because it was a huge source of profits) and then something had to be done for decorating them (we have a law here about 1% of the total costs to be put into "embellishments") and boats (mostly EU compulsorily decomissioned fishing boats but also other sort of crafts) seem to be both popular and exotic fo this booming industry.

Some even more exotic ornaments include an old and massive fleet air arm Breguet Alizé (Rochefort) a Dauphin Helicopter (near Maignane and Eurocopter plant) decomissioned but freshly painted buoys and beacons from service des Phares et Balises...
Pat

Post by Pat »

Can anyone identify the little flowerpot dinghy near the church as you come into Brightlingsea? I think it's from the boating lake and may even be the very first boat I ever sailed when I was about age 10!
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

For the last couple of years the boat by the church has been a Heron, grrrrrrrrr perfectly sound and should be sailing :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: