Ebay watch continued

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Neil,
I would like to disagree with your last sentence. There is an old saying that the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price. A tradesman who rushes a job to make a couple of extra pounds is shooting himself in the foot. As you just pointed out the job done on your boat was done by a respected builder, but I very much doubt that you have very much respect for that person after seeing that work. As a person who ran a repair business (Boats and Sailplanes) for almost 20 years I found out the hard way that one quick and dirty job can undo years of work fostering a reputation and it takes even more work to get that reputation back. A quick comment on Eds remarks. I learned my wood butchering skills from an undertaker in Newent Glos., when they still made coffins in house. He also made furniture and used to make the same remarks about getting the best quality wood you could afford.
B.E.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

As someone who has, in the past, made a living from "quick and dirty" boat repairs, where appropriate, and with the agreement of all concerned, I hasten to add, I have to say that old, cheap, boats in need of a mend to get them floating again do not need the best.
An example. The local sea cadets had an old GRP Topper (pre plastic) with a hole where the mast had gone though its slotted bit. I was given that job not because I could make it beautiful (it never had been!) but because I could put the boat together again and make it useable for their budget of virtully nothing. I don't expect to get a commission repairing slipper launches from that kind of job, but I do enjoy keeping old boats afloat!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

That is what is good about 'Doing it yourself'. If we restored old dinghies with value versus restoration costs in mind all the time I doubt if anyyone would do it. There would be many more viking funerals of sad old boats. Best to enjoy acheiving whatever result you can visualize.
It's the same with musical instruments though. Most restorations I do on antique harps etc cost two or three times more than a retail price. Fortunately for me most owmers are happy to know that and still want to go ahead because they cherish that instrument. On the other hand if someone says 'just make it playable' I usually turn down that job. there may three noughts difference between 'just make it playable' and a thoughouh restoration - a true musician will certainly know the difference in the end product.
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Some years ago I visited Stanley and Thomas, the boat restorers on the Thames (and when you see some of their slipper launch restorations you may believe they are the best in the business) During my visit Mark Stanley showed me a steam pinnace built in the 1860's they were working on. It had had a chequered history, but the new owner, having discovered the original engine in Fife, was determined to 'put it to rights'. I naively said something along the lines of "They knew how to build them in those days" and I was told quite strongly that, actually, they didn't! Marrying the wrong timbers, using the wrong fillers, and a lack of understanding of the stresses inherent in putting steam into boats made for poor quality. Rather than celebrating the longevity of one or two, the fact is that many more should have survived. But in those days these boats were turned out 'to make a quick buck'. Jerry-building is not a new phenomenon.

Nick
chris

Post by chris »

Reading a copy of Yachting World 1946 the other day I read that Merlin (ie Merlin no 2. the second prototype that was really the first true merlin and now in Falmouth) was built and sailing in a fortnight! The article does point out that it had only one coat of varnish. No mucking about then - If only it took that long (short?) to rebuild one.
chris

Post by chris »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 88025&rd=1

Interestinmg dinghy from the 1930's apparently . Anyone know what it is?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yes....very pretty indeed!!!

However....

Presently I am promising myself to never ever buy another clinker boat. I have just about finished the Tideway, which has to of been one of the most frustrating restorations I have ever done....and now have a 14ft river launch....clinker again.

Why oh why didn't I stick to nice Fairey hulls!!!

a frustrated Ed
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

I know the feeling Ed, Merlin 36 seems to a seive, conected by rivets through mahogany coloured cotton wool. Yup, should have been doing my old Albi now!!
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Chris,
I looked at that boat on the internet and it looked familiar. I cannot place the name but it looked very similar to two boats the youth hostel association YHA. used to teach sailing at Bala lake in Wales. I used to instruct in them but I cannot remember the name.
Brian Evans.
chris

Post by chris »

Well it's certainly got the north Wales connection , so you could be on the right track. Shall we all club together and buy it for Ed?!? (sounds as if he needs a nice plastic boat soon.)
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

no message
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ah! too late! ;-)

ed
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Well its a moot point now the boat has been sold. You now have to get solentpaul to join CVRDA If you can figure out who he is.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

...and talking of Tideways here's one on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 57500&rd=1
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

It looks quite tempting, but I think you guys have put me off clinker!
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May