Cherub on ebay

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nessa

Cherub on ebay

Post by Nessa »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MEBIDX:IT

Does it qualify as a classic? Can anyone give any more info? Is it worth risking the wrath?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Re: Cherub on ebay

Post by JimC »

Nessa wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MEBIDX:IT

Does it qualify as a classic? Can anyone give any more info? Is it worth risking the wrath?
Its a Forman 4 I think, more likely 1972/3 than 1974.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Vanessa,
You have in your care and custody one of the last Gentlepersons Conveyances built before the awful desicration of the International 14 Class, you owe it to posterity to get working on Agamemnon, focus my girl, focus.
Shakewell himself and Peter Spruce would have as I did said this prayer every term day in School Chapel.
"O Lord God, when you give to your servant to endeavour any great matter, grant us to know that it is not the beginning, but the continuing of the same, until it be thoroughly finished, which yields the true glory".
(Sir Francis Drake – Cadiz 1587)
Could be a CVRDA Prayer too!
Simples.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

AG, any minute now the Marauder will be rehomed for the winter (please god) and work on Agamemnon will begin again. I don't actually think there is much laborious stuff (scraping) yet to do before I can start to think abiout the refit, and I definitely want him on the water for the spring, so fret ye not.

I expect once the cherub hits the ebay front page/last minute countdown interest and the price will go up out of my range. Were I to buy it , it would be hidden in a shed in Herefordshire until late spring and would take its place in the queue behind the Marauder. Any minute now Aggie will hit the top of that queue!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

Years ago i bought a written of Cherub, a Forman Hot Dog, she was beautifully built all varnished with sapele ply & sycamore inlays also had a heart inlaid on her foredeck. Her keel was split from end to end & i glued her back together & put a new case in her. She was a stunning boat.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

If you wanted a Cherub then this looks an initially more expensive but I guess ultimately cheaper option.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHERUB-SAILING-DI ... %26ps%3D63

PS I won't be bidding, buying or offering!!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

fool that I am, part of the joy of the other one would have been putting it back together again!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well said Nessa!

me to

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Me too, but there are those who don't have the time, the cash, the space, the tools or the skills but would like to sail old dinghies. They should be encouraged too, and a fibreglass hull while they are not for me would suit that particular person and make them ripe for inclusion into the CVRDA fold. Back to the Enterbarge and its slow restoration............
JimC

Post by JimC »

Pre foam sandwich glass hulls or shells were never very satisfactory. Too much weight and too little stiffness. Plywood is a better material (at least while the aerolite holds out!). That one is an older boat I think: I reckon its a Greg 6 which would put it late 60s or maybe 1970/71.