This could be bad for your health!!

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Ancient Geek

Re: This could be bad for your health!!

Post by Ancient Geek »

Simples.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

davidh wrote:Hi Mags...........

Are you going to try to bid for 'Swallow'? It's pretty good on here, most of us will back off if another has declared that they will bid on an item. ...
I would guess that of all the boats there, that one will get the most bidding!

Surely its not illegal for a partnership to arrange for one member to bid on a single item. Its definitely wrong for the seller to arrange to have someone bid against genuine interest (but I'm sure it happens a lot and eBay have software to detect it happening...).

j./

(ps not bidding on anything, although I'd like to!).
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

It doesn't matter which side of a deal you are on it is imorral and illegal.
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There have been certain istances where a couple of us on here have not wanted to see a boat go on the bonfire, but at the same time would happily be willing for someone else to own it. I really cannot see how asking if anyone else is interested before bidding is a problem in that situation. Carving up a whole lot of boats into "I'll bid on this one if you bid on that one" on an open forum certainly seems immoral, and is probebly illegal. Is doing the same thing sitting round a table looking at a screen?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Yes I think it would be if you get caught.

I think you need to talk about this sort of thing in careful terms. Declaring an interest is one thing, fixing a bidding syndicate is quite another and applies to both seller and buyer.

"Lets not do that and pretend we did." is what Shrek said to the Donkey, on the singing (again) of the 12 days of Christmas. :wink:

(Have we an emoticon with tongue in cheek?)
Michael Brigg
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

I am currently debating whether to form a syndicate (is that the right word) of friends and each chip in a bit in order to buy 'Swallow'. This is legal, isn't it? All those comments above have worried me now!

If anyone has even a small interest in joining up, please drop me an email at this address:
grabachance (at) merlinrocket.co.uk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I can't see how it is illegal, if one person is bidding, say, with 5 people's money, and then all 5 names go on the ownership papers? Must happen all the time with yachts and houses?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

MerlinMags wrote:I am currently debating whether to form a syndicate (is that the right word) of friends and each chip in a bit in order to buy 'Swallow'. This is legal, isn't it? All those comments above have worried me now!

If anyone has even a small interest in joining up, please drop me an email at this address:
I suggest you ask AG. He always did say that in the right boat, (Swallow being the specific type) he might be persuaded back into a dinghy for the "demolition derby" (Pensioners plate) race, or whatever it was called at Oulton week!! :lol:
If you can add a lugsail dinghy race into the programme then you might get me into a dinghy!

I agree that a syndicate is legal, and entirely moral. It is not seeking to bring down the price of the boat, quite the contrary it is putting more money into the buyers pot, so it is to the vendor's advantage, and it is to the buyers advantage in that it enables the syndicate to compete with stronger bidders.
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Nice Try Michael, however this is NOT Swallow, Swallow had no centrboard and was about 15ft long.
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Ooops yes it is, at least the film one, I'll think of a better excuse!
Simples.
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

My mate has one of these 20 feet fireballs in Devon. It's actually 21 feet in immaculate condition with twin trapeze. I have asked him many times to bring it to Roadford. The rig was redesigned by Spud Rowsell with bigger main & jib as far as I remember. I'll see if I can get him to send me a picture or 2.

I am pleased to be reading and therefore adding to a post about interesting boats and not myths, legends and other bollox :twisted:
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

stu wrote: I am pleased to be reading and therefore adding to a post about interesting boats and not myths, legends and other bollox :twisted:
I find all boats have an interesting angle to them, including the ones (also in the auction) that were used to illustrate films about myths legends (and other b****x! :P )

Nile Gods
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexauctio ... 255242403/

Wagnerian Fairy tales

Norse Legends

Greek myths (Charons Punt)

Harry Potter

North American legend
Michael Brigg
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
I am probably going to bid on the crocodile canoe, that should give the handicappers a real challenge! :twisted:
Steve :D
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So, the 'Calypso' is 16' * 4'8". looks like a fireball. chances of it being a fireball about 16,500 to 1. possibly then its a Fireball, especially as it's listed as a Fireball, and built by Turks.

The one that's been overlooked is https://www.apexauctions.com/auction/lo ... otId=38407. Looks like a Walker/Tideway 14 to me (only guessing as it looks like a Tideway, measures 14' and I'm pretty sure that's a Walker plate on the transom), and it shouts Walker (though not a loud as a Fireball shouting 'Calypso' :wink: ). But I could be wrong.

Nice name CHAVender 2. that will annoy the Daily Mail Readers. If it is a Walker 14 could be one of the batches made for local authority boating lakes. Shame it's not the sailing version - that would be worth real money.
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

It looks like the group bid idea for 'Swallow' is actually going to happen. Various people have made a pledge and it seems we could make a reasonable attempt to purchase, if we get more fans to join us.

Of course, we could easily be outbid. We won't be going very high. But we need to have a try!

Interested in sailing her and being a part of Ransome heritage? Please email: