This could be bad for your health!!

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
MerlinMags

Re: This could be bad for your health!!

Post by MerlinMags »

Are the reserves not kept secret then?!
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

As someone who has in his time bought everything from my daughters first pony
(A Welshie, Abergavenny Market - After what was clearly a good lunch for the auctioneer, "Sold to the man who keeps changing his voice!") through various bits of furniture silver etc., I view all auctions with caution, despite my protestations about the ethics of auctions one is always left with the feeling there are those in the know and the rest of us.
Having known Mike Turk - (only on nodding terms admitedly - and rented the shallop from him for my "Starter Wedding", together with oarsmen.) since my teens when he used to run Saturday night gigs in the Teddington Turks boathouse - opposite Tamesis - he always has a starting price and a Dutch Auction proceeds! Quite how he will adapt to the more usual auction I cannot forsee.
Of course as The Queens Swan Master and with the Upping Season nearly upon us he may also be preoccupied. (Picture from my late Fathers collection added.)
There is one item in this sale that I should very much like and I have asked someone who does know his way round auctions to bid for me in my abscence.
Attachments
Swan Upping depart450.JPG
From the collection of Alan Child
(120.04 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Simples.
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

I thought it was usual at all auctions for reserves to be revealed only when the bidding had ended (and only if it wasn't high enough!). But anyway...

We have some good news; the Nancy Blackett Trust are happy to handle our initial finances, which means we also get a 28% boost on UK donations thanks to 'Gift Aid'. This extra kick means we are really near to the total we were aiming for, and can make a good bid at the auction.

We still need a little more help of course, so if you want to sail "just like in the books", join the 'Swallow' project quick, as there's only 5 days to go!
http://sites.google.com/site/swallowbid/
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

MerlinMags wrote:I thought it was usual at all auctions for reserves to be revealed only when the bidding had ended (and only if it wasn't high enough!). But anyway...
I'm only quoting what Mr Turk told me when I asked him. (When arranging a date to go and view things.

The bidding arrangement with APEX is outlined here:-
Bidding With Apex

Bids can be placed on any item on any page where you see the bid button. There are three different ways to place bids, but don't forget you must logged in to do so. To log in, click on the 'log in' link at the top of any page.

•Incremental Bidding
Places the next incremental bid for the item/lot. Bidding increment values will vary depending on the item. After placing the incremental bid the box at the bottom of the item/lot listing will turn green to show that you are wining. If a red box is returned your bid is either not high enough to beat the reserve, or another user has placed an auto bid on the item/lot.

•Autobid
Allows you to place the maximum price you are willing to pay for the item. The auction software will bid automatically on your behalf up to that amount as other bids come in.

•Buy Now
On some items/lots you may have the option to pre-purchase prior to the closing date. These items will be marked with a 'Buy Now' icon. All offers will need to be approved by our clients; we aim to process a Buy Now offer within 24 hours. Should your offer be rejected you have two further attempts to pre-purchase the item. If your third offer is rejected you will be unable to submit any further Buy Now offers for that item. You will still be able to place incremental or autobids on the item.
I'll be taking my camera and will post a link on Sunday night some time to what I take pics of.

Swallow will certainly feature, as well as the Fireball and OK solo, and one or two skiffs and punts, and some of the Lug sail dinghies.

I know a few of you may want a look at the double ended ships tenders, (theres at least two) and a few of the ships lifeboats look worth a punt.

pm me with the lot number and your name on the forum and I'll try to send you a relevant link.
Michael Brigg
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

For those interested in the Fireball - which sports highly unusual variations to the norm around the thwart area:

I have spoken to Mike Turk who built the boat along with one of his employees, Chris Straun (spelling of surname presumed).

Mike confirmed the hull was successfully measured at the time and the registered builder was RJ Turk & Sons Ltd.

He can find no reference to the sail number - it is not carved in the thwart nor does it appear on the sail (Mike was quite nonplussed about this; couldn't understand why he hadn't put the numbers on!). He had vague recollection of it being 47 or 147 or 4XX.....

The boat was built with a trapeze so that would date it to c. 1965 onwards and ties in more with a 4XX sail number. It was subsequently sailed at Kingston.

An an aside, the UK Fireball Association retains copies of all measurement forms. Forms are manually filed in sail number order and not computerised so, whilst a laborious job, it would be possible to go through the records one at a time to find the hull built by RJ Turk & Sons (I believe they only built one). However, Bob Southworth, the UKFA Secretary, is understandably not to keen to undertake the exercise! This presumes that Mike actually submitted the completed form at the time; procedures and administration in the early days were a little hit and miss (my oldest hull was first measured seven years after it was built!). It also presumes he didn't keep any copies/certificates etc - I didn't ask but will do so if I get the opportunity.

Chris Turner
FB 6 and 66
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I went for a look round. This is a mother of boat jumbles.

But buyer be very beware. There are very few "real" sailing boats. What there are do appear to be in fair condition in view of the dry storage, but that is where it ends. The Wayferer, GP and OK solo, are in fair condition. The Fireball has badly damaged panels on the Port bow. Not a problem I would guess if you are a dab hand with wood work, and probably not even too expensive if you pay someone. What they have all got is original features, and the Firball would certainly attract interest if you sailed it at any club, as would the OK.

None of the sailing boats have atteacted much interest and will probably go for next to nothing, so worth a bid if you have the space and inclination.

Alot of the boats were fabricated for films and are not built to last. This applies particularly to the pram dinghies. Some have no keels or may have been on their last legs. The 6ft and 8ft prams on page1 have broken hogs and will need new keels to be serviceable. This is partly due to being stored sitting between two scaffolding poles for years. Many of the boats are quite cheaply built props held together with glass sheathing.

However, the modern boats, or ones purchased for period peices such as the Skiffs, Canadian canoes and launches are well constructed if showing thier age. If you are looking for a period boat then these are the genuine article, but everything badly needs cleaning up and some tlc to be given.

I am getting some pictures of my day out and will post them asap.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Fantastic

I look forwards to seeing the images.

Could I possibly ask that you put up lots and lots of images.....

...but not on the CVRDA site.....but on Photobucket or Flickr or Photobox or whatever.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Michael Brigg
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

If you would like to help save 'Swallow' then please do so quick! Auction is at 3pm tomorrow (Wednesday 14th) and we do need just a little more...
http://sites.google.com/site/swallowbid/
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Still quite a few really good bargains there.

It seems always the same way....a few people will fight over a few really good things.....and some of the others will go for next to nothing.

Still love the idea of a Baden Powell Canoe....or that 8 man cold-moulded racing canoe....or the single canvased canoe

all of which seem quite low priced at the moment.

I wonder if they will leave the auction up so we can see how much they went for.

Also wonder what Andrew Thornhill is bidding on....?

I kind of expected him to negotiate a price behind the scenes for the whole collection.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Quite a lot of presale negotiations going on!
Simples.
JB9

Post by JB9 »

It looks as though once the bidding has ended the final value vanishes. So the OK dinghy went for £260.00 I think as the numbers go once the auction ends. The couple of other items I was interested in went for much more than I thought they would.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

If anyone is watching and notices what the canoes go for.....baden powell's, the 8 man cold-moulded and the racing one, I would be interested ..... vaguely .

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

'Swallow' has sold after a long overtime bidding period - we won!!!!!

Thanks to all donors. More news when I have calmed down....
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Fantastic, very good effort.
Harrier 25
505 7163