This could be bad for your health!!

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Rupert

Re: This could be bad for your health!!

Post by Rupert »

Well done!
Rupert
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Well done Mags!! A great boat to teach a baby to sail in!!
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed wrote:If anyone is watching and notices what the canoes go for.....baden powell's, the 8 man cold-moulded and the racing one, I would be interested ..... vaguely .
The Baden Powell canoe went for @ £1200 :shock: . Most of the decent wooden strip canoes (some of which were genuinely beautifull period canoes) went for £1,500- £2,000. The skiffs also went for between £2000-£3000.

The 8 man was a real snip. @£200 I think, but you would need 8 really experienced paddlers to power it an could only use it to race, and it's not an olympic class anymore, so really it;s only going to be of use to a Canoe club or as an ornament in a themed pub. (Please god, not a flower planter. :cry: )

The Mohican war canoe when I looked at it is only good for growing tomatoes in. It had a vertical full thickness split on from gunwhale to keel and was as flexible as overcooked spaghetti. Someone will be very cross they paid £200 for it! :evil:

The two (superficially) pretty clinker prams went for £300 and £600!! They will be very cross. Neither one of these is useable, as both need total replacement of their keels. When I looked at them the floors both flexed soo much you would thing you were in an Avon redcrest!

The clinker canoe I think went for £550, and the 1875 Racing kayak made £1125 :shock:

Most of the punts made it to £1500. The one needind a new floor and restoration went for @ £700!!

Since (after coming home with Torment which was languishing in a garage in Rochester) I am badly in need of brownie points and I do not want to find myself undergoing any permanent amputation of vital body parts, I sat on my hands. I saw the Tub pair shoot from £200-> £575, and then in the last 5seconds go into overtime bidding, at which point I had to leave. I would have liked that one, and up to £500 might have felt it worthwhile, but in a way I'm quite relieved I didn't bid as I've saved myself any number of stern "curtain lectures" as a result. "Doing" Henley in a posh boat will have to wait awhile. :cry: :(

What was interesting is that in the Baden powell canoe there was also a little scale "Half hull" nicely sign painted, of "Nautilus" There is a picture of it in my Photobucket file here:-

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... g&newest=1

I wonder if its worth being cheeky and ringing Mike Turk to comment on this. Perhaps its meant to be in another part of the sale of "bits and pieces" which will I think follow. Maybe if I offer him a few £5'ers and also ask to buy a set of Sculls (he has several nice pairs of "pencils" at the back that would be well suited to my 1960 Sims, or Ed, your Phelps shell.)

The yard still has alot of stuff in it and I think he's ready to sell anything if you speak to him.

The learning point here is what a diference overtime bidding makes. Any bid within 10 minutes of the end of auction automatically adds 10 minutes on to the end. A kind of "going going gone" principle. This of course doesn't happen on ebay which is what keeps so much of the prices so low depending on how many bidders there are in the face-of. We have before now discussed this on the forum and bemoaned the impossibly low second hand market for our boats, but in a way that may be their salvation, since it allows the purchaser more to spend on neccessary work, (Provided of course it doesnt lead to a concept of "disposable boats")

Of the other CVRDA'ble boats the fireball went I think for £50 (but it was badly damaged) and the Solo for @£60
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Thank you Michael. My man dropped out of my bids and identified cheaper solutions in better nick too! I am afraid there will be very disillusioned people at those prices unless they were Russian arriveists!
Simples.
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

I've just bought Swallow home. A nerve-wracking day.

Turks yard is a fascinating place and I could have stayed for hours, bare as it is (now)!

A surprising number of insurers don't want to look at boats over 30 years old it seems. Towergate Mardon seemed cheapest in the end, for a non-racing policy.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Noble would, I'm sure. Not the cheapest, but they will actually pay out when something goes wrong, and don't have age limits on spars and sails.
Not come across Towergate Mardon before. Worth checking for old classic racing dinghies, do you think?

Great that you've got her home - any pics yet?

As for non racing, you need to track down Amazon and challenge her to a race!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Well done Mags!! I just 'tweeted' our congrats!

Just as soon as there is a picture......

D
David H
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Have to confess I haven't had a problem with age on either of the boats with Bishop Skinner and they are both well over 30years old. Reasonable too.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

As the son of an Insurance King and actuary my "cred" with the family broker only recently ran out and what nightmare it all is, filling in forms etc., I have to say my first stop was Noble and whilst I am told they are not cheap compared with others they understand your problems ans will arrange Boat fleets, cars, houses pictures etc in one form filling which is worth a lot.
They are also PLU.
Simples.
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

At last Swallow is ready to sail again! We're in the final stages of planning, intending to relaunch on 10th April at Coniston. If you are able to get there, we'd love to see you. More details here:
http://www.sailransome.org/relaunch

There are some great photos of the gleaming varnish, displayed at the London Boat Show earlier this year:
http://www.sailransome.org/photos
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

MM I saw on the Merlin Rocket discussion (on the Frostbite at Ardleigh photos strand)forum, mention made of the Annual Swallows and Amazons event, at Walton Backwater-a favourite haunt that Arthur Ransome frequented I believe.
I would love to attend the launch on Conniston, maybe it will feature on 'The Lakes', but am a bit too tied, at home to consider such a journey, but I will see what tanspires.
By the same token, I was unable to do "The Classic" one year when the late John Waynright crewman had a had a bike accident, and asked if I was available to crew instead?
However again much to my chagrin, I had to decline crewing on the lovely Deva, one of two Fishing Smacks(Deva circa 1902-Meryl 1933 ish)he then President of the Old Gaffers, owned.-His book too many Tides is a great read.

Best of British anyway-with the S and A project, great achievement
sjgrobbins

Post by sjgrobbins »

roger wrote:Hannah is at Uni in Rochester, currently at home may be I should take her back instead of sending her by train.

I love the look of the calypso. I am very tempted to make a bid but probably wont. Is there a mast boom or any rig at all?

Just looking at some old posts when I probably should be working but couldn't help noticing that the guides for the jib sheet, whatever they are called, are identical to those on Mah Jong. This is a very old thread, I wonder what happened to her?
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

The Fireball was indeed an earlyish example. I spoke to Turks about her and learnt that she was built at the yard for personal use of the owner. However, there was no record of her sail number - it wasn't carved in the thwart and wasn't on the sails. Unfortunately any relevant paperwork had been destroyed when the yard's office was broken into and vandalised many years ago. I tried to check her through UKFA's records but it was a needle-in-a-haystack affair and the search was quickly abandoned.

The spars were virtually brand new so they engaged my attention as potential spares for FB6. Unfortunately (or fortunately given I'd no idea what I'd do with the hull) my attempt to bid at the auction failed as my workplace software wouldn't hook up with the auction house's. She was sold for a very modest amount.

Anyway, shortly thereafter, she turned up on e-bay with hull damage repaired. I had a brief exchange of e-mails with the new owner early in the auction but think she was unsold. The reserve price/opening bid figure was not unreasonable in itself but was high in the context of the second-hand FB market.

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 14463 (for sale) & 151XX (arriving in March)