This could be bad for your health!!

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
davidh

Re: This could be bad for your health!!

Post by davidh »

Mags,

Much as I'd love to make an offer of assistance, I'm already in dire straights! (and not 'Love over Gold' Pat and Sandy..3434?), if you see someone outside the King and Queen with a placard saying 'Contender and Smokers Merlin to feed' then spare the odd shilling or two....

Being serious... I think the whole issue of bidding is way out of context. Colluding to fix a price may well be very wrong, but sounding out if others will be bidding is nothing more than a sensible precaution. A while back, Rupert and I nearly ended up bidding against each other for a book. That would have helped neither of us - but luckily, we found out in time, Rupert got the book and I got another copy just a few weeks later.

It is like some of these really rare boats - surely is matters not who gets it as long as it is spared the viking funeral.

Mags - goodluck with Swallow, I await with very real interest a report on how the auction goes! I'll think of it all on the way and sit on my hands - just to make sure!

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Would there be enough money in a story for DSM to fund it?

If only Rupert Murdoch was into classic dinghies.
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

Hmmm, I don't think I should approach DSM....seeing as I work for Y&Y !!!
Maybe a less racing-orientated magazine is required...one more interested in wood. Who's got a contact? I do know one chap from 'Classic Boat'.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sadly Nigel the answer would be no and my guess is that the answer will be the same for all the other magazines too! If there was something that could form the basis of a whole series of articles, then my guess is that an individual could make a case for doing it and helping fund the whole thing BUT.....experience tells me that an individual boat makes for a poor single article, let alone a series of them.

There is possibly one exception - if there was something so key, so crucial, important and right at the heart of dinghy sailing, that needed saving, my guess is that all of the mags and media would end up working together to make sure that it was saved. I can't think of anything at present that would fit this bill... maybe the Eileen Ramsey Collection wuld be a good example, but it would take something like that to get things going!

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Mags...

I'm sure that you'd echo the sentiment that I made earlier...if there was a real caused that impacted on dinghy sailing, I think we'd all fight for it! Certainly, if you can save Swallow, I'd be proud to celebrate the saving of that on the web! So please, keep us all in touch with progress - I hope it can be done!

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Swallow.

I wish the "Mags syndicate" good fortune in purchasing the replica Swallow made for the Swallows and Amazons film, if that is the thing to do.

So many of us 1950’s – 60’s children were turned on to sailing by Arthur Ransoms stories, she (Swallow.) is surely worthy of a good home, where she will be cared for and sailed by present and future generations, though by even pre war standards she will hardly be responsive with that 6” keel!

The sadness is today’s generation can with few exceptions (In the UK anyway.) enjoy the free range childhood described and I was lucky enough to enjoy.

This begs the question of a home for her if the bid were to be successful, James May has a very good piece in today (Saturday’s Daily Telegraph - I’ll scan it and fwd to any request giving me a mail address to send it to, when I get back to the UK on Monday.) which is about his underground co-operative car and motor bike workshop club, which might be a model for something for the CVRDA to do if someone has a barn or underground garage but CVRDA members seem to have so many other commitments I doubt it would work.

So Mags, might you be better supporting the inevitable bid from The Arthur Ransom Society, which is of course based at Pin Mill on the East Coast!

Swallows rightful home is of course on the Lakes in Cumbria but she did I think make a trip to the West Indies! Both are a long way from population centres.

"Whatever" as the young say though not I think in this context! I wish Mags luck and pledge my support which you may wear always!
Simples.
chris

Post by chris »

re swallows & amazons.
Merlin mags may know more about this story and I don't know if it is true at all...
Some years ago an early merlin ( in the one hundreds I think) was up for sale on the merlin site; I was interested but didn't get it but was told it was bought by one of the actors from the S&A film who wanted it as a souvenir because an early merlin had also been used in the film (possibly this particular one) I think it became an ornament. I missed seeing the film when it was on TV recently and was going to look out for a merlin. It seems an unlikely boat for the film but can anyone verify whether a merlin appears in it?
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

As an Arthur Ransom geek I even have a DVD of the film, I'll post it to you at your MROA address, as soon as I am back. I'm sure I would have seen a MR is the film! I think it is apochraphal.
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The kids have the DVD, and I can't remember seeing a Merlin in it. Would be a little anacronistic, wouldn't it, given the pre-war setting?
Rupert
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

Who was this chap? I'd like to know! We've had one of the original actresses join our campaign, so it would be good to trace this guy too. Can you recall the sail number of the Merlin you were bidding on?

I don't think I recall a Merlin in the film though....unless it was just a bit of the background. But that would just be rowing skiffs. Or was he referring to the black and white S&A film from the 60s....or even the 80s series on the Broads?

The appeal is going well so far, but I fear momentum has slowed. We need another 40 or 50 people at least! I am trying to write something about the potential arrangements, so people feel there is some more solid info to base a financial decision on.
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Looks like an old OK now as well
Steve :D

https://www.apexauctions.com/auction/lo ... otId=38363
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

The appeal to bid for 'Swallow' is going fairly well so far, but there's still a long way to go in just 17 days. If you'd like to sail her, for that classic Arthur Ransome experience, please find our more here:
http://sites.google.com/site/swallowbid/
The site now has more detailed information on our future plans for those that asked for it.
chris

Post by chris »

mags,
it must be 5-10 years ago and the number 116 seems to materialize in my mind, I'm sure it was in the 100's and was advertised on the merlin site. I can only assume I heard this story from a phone call to the person selling it. Who ever bought it payed much more money than I would. and I think it was going to end up as an ornament inside the house (either big house or it was turned into a sofa!). You could be right that it was one of the other productions.
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

Dave on the Merlin forum remembers the purchase discussed earlier:

The Merlin sold to someone from the film was 156 Avion. She sailed OK but leaked a lot so this sounded like a good home for her. The story I had was that she would take pride of place in a large room in his Cornish house !!! but I have no proof that this happened.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

It is convenient that this thread has popped up again. Viewing is this week end. I hope I might be able to get along mainly with an interest in the Skiffs and punts, but I also like some of the unclassed clinkers.

It seems they have some quite high reserves on a number of the items.

Swallow has already hit the £1000 mark, but the suggested reserves I was hearing from Mr Turk for the punts (£400 for the broken one and £1500 for greensleaves) and the Skiffs (Between £1500-4000) and £1000 for the single racing kayak suggest a rather hopeful auctioneer or perhaps a level of unexpected interest.

Mind you I think the antique Fireball has no reserve and no bids yet. Nor has the ancient OK/solo. Could be a snip for someone looking for a CVRDA'ble boat there.

Someone has already bid £600 for the "B" class canoe.

I'm also fancying a crack at the War canoe :lol: (On behalf of my local Sea Scouts) as the Rowing gigs are on a reserve of £4000! (But said to be in excellent condition.)

I'll post a link to Photo's If I get to a viewing. Starts this W/E for the auction on wednesday, so we may start to see some bids developing

Watch this space:-
https://www.apexauctions.com/auction/lo ... tionId=422
Michael Brigg