Cat's any ideas??

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

I am looking for a cat to go with my peggie hopefully fast enough to give it a good run i dont really no enough about cats to know what is most suitable do any of you guys have any ideas??
Thanks alot Greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Alan is the man to talk to about this, if you are Roadford look for the largest scariest boat and you'll find Alan.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Peggy sailor,
The Cheetah Advertised on this board is a good cat to start with and the price is really good. The Sea Skater is very much a single hander and has not the performance of the Cheetah. You should also look for Shearwaters and Swifts plentyful and cheap. What you must not do is buy something to big and powerful until you know how to handle a cat as they sail completely differently to monohulls and different technques are used. As a starting cat avoid Hobies16/14 as they are very tricky to handle without experience. Hope this helps as Neil say's look me up at Roadford and we'll give you a go.
Cheers Al Williams
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Thanks alot I will look for you.
cant Wait thanks for the advice
Cherub 2646 Madge
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Does it have to be a CVRDA cat? If not, you could do a lot worse than a Sprint15(Dart15)
Their attraction for me is their versatility. Sail singlehanded with main only(PY916)or with main,jib and trapeze(PY880) They will carry passengers, although this is like sailing with the handbrake on.They are simple,low maintenance and reliable.Really come into their own in a F4+. Check out http://www.dart15.com
Regards,
Alan, OK1211. Sprint/Dart15 1442
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

No it doesnt need to b a CVRDA boat but, would be good needs to have gib and spinny idealy. Would be crewed and raced at my local club co needs to be competative. Thanks
Cherub 2646 Madge
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Alan
Only problem expensive, spares really expensive and performance is not to hot for a 15 ft cat. If going to spend real money would go for a shadow singlehander spitfire or stealth. But these require some experience.
Cheers Al
Theres an all Carbon fibre Shearwater for sale offers around two and a half grand which has an incredible racing record.
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

That more than what we want to spend realy but sounds great fun.
Thanks you guys are telling me about boat i never new about.
Cherub 2646 Madge
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Peggy Sailor
I would advise not going for asymetric kite cat until you have learnt the basics of Cat sailing especially if you are on the light side or else leave it at home when its really good cat conditions force 4-5. The Shearwater does have a kite a symmetrical one and this has proved to be very successful in handicap racing especially if you are going to sail inland as it enables the boat to run straight downwind when needed and seems to lose nothing on a reach to asymmetricals, sailing proper cat course not stupid windward leewards.Shearwater's also use spinnaker shutes and have twin trapeze wires.
Any way see you at the weekend
Regards Al Shark 41 the big white beast.
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Sounds Great are there any going to roadford??
I never had thought of that and yes i probily am on the light side!
Ill find you at the weekend.
Cherub 2646 Madge
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Peggy Sailor
Have a look at the Shearwater website.
Shearwaters are the most friendly class of people I,ve ever meet outside of the CVRDA. Several years ago I asked them to see if they could find me an old Shearwater which had to be CVRDA able which they did and it came with a roadtrailer and was FREE. Unfortunately Oh No has deteareanted and I'm looking for somewhere to redeck her. She has provided me with loads of fun in the past. She is not a typical Shearwater as she has a solid deck between the hulls. Good sound Shearwaters can be picked up quite cheaply contact the Class Assoc. via the website they will bend over backwards to find a boat within your price range( and maybe if you want an old one for CVRDA find you a freeone if there is one available), and join the best bunch of cat sailors on the planet.They will also organise a sail for you in a good modern Shearwater. Shearwaters were the first racing cat class in the world and have kept up to date by having sensible rules. Do n't let anyone say their old fashioned as even Tornado,s are n't allowed to be built with carbon fibre. However fast shearwaters donot need to be built out of carbon and even that really hign tech material wood is still used to day to build hulls. Andy White who builds all the Hurricanes also builds foam sandwich Shearwaters which are far more high tech than any Dart Hobie etc. except for the cats I mentioned before, Shealth being Carbon fibre, Shadow epoxy and I think the Spitfire is foam sandwich. Do not even think about a Dart 16 horrible boat to sail performance very disappointing.
cheers Al
Ps I have three cats Shark, Shearwater (needs major refit 35 year old boat and has been neglected) and a modern Nacra but the nicest to sail is the Shearwater.
Kev S

Post by Kev S »

I am considering selling my Shearwater. Sail no. 1912 built by Kingsfield Marine in 1976 - so more the 25 years old! She is fully equiped 2 mains, two jibs and a spinny. Twin trapese and should give you Peggy a run. Comes with box trailer and trolly. Looking for around £550. all round good condition and hulls painted in two pack. Located Worcestershire.

Kevin Smith