cherub at Hunts

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nessa

cherub at Hunts

Post by Nessa »

One of our graveyard boats:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cherub-Sailing-Di ... 27b63a2f10

Don't know if it is cvrda eligible? Jim C tells me it is an early seventies design, so presumably not?

If anyone is interested I can take a look.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Re: cherub at Hunts

Post by JimC »

Nessa wrote:Don't know if it is cvrda eligible?
Definitely is. The boat is most probably 1973, the shape about 1970. At that age I'd rather have a wood Cherub than a glass one though (other than the foam sandwich one(s)).
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

a bit of a thread hijack (needs must to do the devils work) BUT...

did you manage to get a peek at the number on the thwart or hog of the MR at GWSC?

Cheers

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nessa, the original design was way back in about 1953 or so, so the Cherub is an ideal cvrda boat!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the cherub calls to me while I survey the wreckage of the simoun.

David, I'm afraid that I did remember to go and look at the MR, but someone had clearly had a fit of conscience and had gone and wrapped it all up very securely in a nicely fitting cover (it was totally neglected the previous times I'd looked) so I didn't like to interfere.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

In fact I have been in contact with Tim Noyce, who has the sister ship to this and sailed it at Roadford. Lots of help and advice available if anyone s keen.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

Well, as Neil was testing Youtube... This (as you can tell from the poor quality(!)) is video from the 1980s and just about all of them are CVRDA eligible now. 2612 (black boat with cream on topsides) was built about 76 or 77, but is a generation on from this one. The rigs had changed in the early 80s too and these have bigger mains and smaller jibs, but kites the same size...
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

great 80s soundtrack :mrgreen:
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Superb, New Order too....now I really want the little cutie <sigh>
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
LarFinn

Post by LarFinn »

I used to own Cherub 2333 and I always enjoyed the look on the face of the helm of any boat ducking my stern ... as they realised the 9ft long spin. pole (which stowed along the boom) over hung the stern by a good 3 ft.
of course the same boat would probably sink if I got into it now...
Andi

Finn GBR75
JimC

Post by JimC »

neil wrote:great 80s soundtrack
Sadly the orginal soundtrack to the video has been lost over the years: the youtube one is from about a 4th gen copy. The original video, which we brought out for the 1989 Sailboat, featured a mix of House type tracks put together by Alex Windsor, Flat Stanley's forward hand. Prominent among these was a track called "the Power", which when released *a year later* became a major worldwide seller, and several of the other tracks on the mix sold shedloads too... Alex was/is in the business and had access to a lot of unreleased material and could sure pick them!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Bernard Sumner now has a Beneteau 44 up on the Clyde..... very nice it is too!

Looking at those Cherubs reminds me why I always wanted a Ghost..... a 15ft version with an impressive spread of sail set on a high aspect rig...

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Strange how things come around then, David - Is the Rebel featured on the Y&Y forum the modern equivelent of the Ghost? Can we not only see the future of the current design from what happened in the past, but watch the process to get an idea of why it happened back then, too?
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I had a look over this today. If anyone wants details, send me a pm. In brief, it needs work, but nothing major. The cherubim have offered a jib and daggerboard to set the ball rolling.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

THat is a very profound thought - and one that would take a huge amount of thinking through to answer.

I would have to say - as a quick retort - no.

What you could say is something alone the lines of ....

If a late 1960s Cherub, stretched to 15ft = A Ghost

Then maybe

The GT60 Cherub, stretched to 15ft = The Rebel.

When I get a better feel for the oveall Ghost story it could be that the boat forms some part of the evolutionary link that lead from the simple performance dinghies of the mid to late 1960s through to the later boats - that were themselves part of the rpad map that led ultimately to the skiff revolution.

But I would have to say that this lin is tenuous in the extreme - I think it more likely that if the truth could be simply told that the Ghost was a bit of a Neandrathal - a dead end - but one with a DNA trace (but just a tarce) that appears later on.

Cor - that was a hard question to answer - a good one.

D
David H