Swordfish on e-bay

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Swordfish on e-bay

Post by Ed »

Well for my pennyworth....

I am right with Rupert on this.

The interior layout doesn't look anything like any Swordfish that I have ever seen......but then again the interior doesn't look right for any Fairey built boat - Swordfish or Albacore.

I think we must be looking at a Fairey hull that has been fitted out by someone else.

But Swordfish or Albacore?

The only way to really tell is to measure the height of the transom, this being the fundamental difference - as I understand it, the mould was the same but the albi just had a taller transom with the sheerline tapering in to an identical bow.

I do have a bunch of Swordfish stuff from when I joined the Swordfish association, but I am no sure if this includes detailed dimensions of the boat ( I suspect not), but looking at it....from memory....the transom on the Swordfish does look very low in volume and rather sleak, but the Albi looks much more bath-like.

From just looking (and this can be so misleading), I would go with Albacore.

But either way, it is certainly not a Fairey-finished hull.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

My albacore from 1963 had a deck shaped like this, but at some point someone had removed the stern part and reshaped the transom to be cut down for the tiller. My money is on this being an albacore.
I think mine was a fairey hull finished by someone else and I had been told the firm but can't remember now. ( Davis or White ring bells somewhere)
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Not a betting man, but my money would be on Swordfish. All the Swordfish I've seen and sailed have no stern deck and the same brass traveller arrangement as a Firefly. I remember an early Albacore sailing at Hornsea in the early 60s with the same deck layout as this with the raised bridge traveller. The Albacore is advertised in the 1962 dinghy yearbook as "A standard dinghy class with H M Forces in Cyprus". If I get time I'll scan the ad and post it.

John
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

John, why would you say your money is on it being a Swordfish and then explain why it is an Alb?!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Do that all the time myself!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Oops, sloppy typing - should have read "my money wouldn't be on Swordfish" - good job I'm not a betting man!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I knew what you meant..... ;-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm just a bit slow today, or I'd have realized too...
Can't say I'm a betting man either - never even done the lottery - I'd rather waste the money on boats!
Rupert
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I have a copy of Y & Y in front of me, June 1957, page 567, with a pic of Swordfishes preparing to race, and although the one nearest camera is indistinct due to glare on the camera, the hull shape forward is very clear. The pic is taken of the Stbd side from a similar angle to ebay's Port side shot, (like a mirror image), and the proportions look spot on to me. (There doesn't appear to be a after deck either). I have no scanner unfortunately, so can't upload the pic, sorry.

Sami
Sami.