2 masts for sale

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Rupert

2 masts for sale

Post by Rupert »

First mast, the Firefly mast (longer length) in need of straightening. Comes with Spreaders but no rigging. It was only a couple of years old when it met the water with a bang at Hamble, and still won the Classic wing at Roadford 2009 after. It isn't kinked at all, and with the right person doing it would bend back, I think. Picture attached.

New Firefly masts are £600 or more unrigged - £120 ono for this one?

Secondly, a very slim gold Int Mith mast from way back when. Oval tube only. Had it for years, and always thought "That will be useful one day" but not found a boat for it yet... mast length 557cm, length of track from feed in to where the pulley would go at the top, 485cm. Would need spreaders to support it - very light and bendy. £15 sound about right?
Rupert
Nessa

Re: 2 masts for sale

Post by Nessa »

Rupert, I might like the moth mast, having just bought something potentially disastrous......
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Nessa,

Certainly worth checking luff length. Not sure what vintage of Moth it was designed for, though it has the foot with a hole for a deck stepped rotating mast, I think.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

it has the same foot then, this moth is supposedly a magnum 6. I will check the measurements. It currently has a needlespar.

I might find a home for the Europe stock - two Europes have just arrived at Hunts so I will have a nosey and see what they have.

Nessa
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

i'll stand second in the queue - it may be a good thing to have a spare for our iMoth.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have been outside in my slippers and pyjamas and measured the mast I have, and it seems Rupert's is identical, so I would like it.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looks like Ian B will be coming to get your L2000, Nessa, so as he will have a trailer with him I shall strap it on whilst he isn't looking... I'll stick the 420 sails in the boot, too!

Oh, Firefly mast now sold, by the way.
Rupert
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

Is the Moth mast a very skinny profile, with integral track? So light when you pick it up in the middle it sags about 300mm at each end

If so it's probably a Sparlight DQ2 section. A legendary piece of Moth kit.

You will need spreaders and a prodder to keep it up. Good luck.....!!

Put me down as 4th in the queue..

The other section it might be is the Proctor C section, still in use on RS 200s. Used to be used on Contenders as well.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

fcbdm, your description would appear spot on. A far lighter section than a C, which I have for the Firefly. Many thanks for the info.
Rupert
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

If the Moth mast is a Sparlight DQ2 I don't think that it would suit a Magnum 5 (or 6) as it will be far too floppy even with a prodder/spreader. To get a 17' luff fully battened Mylar sail to set properly you need to have a powerful downhaul which due to the lack of cloth stretch creates compression forces in the mast. If the mast is too soft it will just bend uncontrollably and go out of column. The Needlespar (depending what diameter and wall thickness) should be a better match and more from the right era. DQ2s were not really used on Moths beyond the early 70s for the reasons described above. By the way I used to campaign a Magnum 5 and then a 6 in the 80s so I have a fair idea what worked and what didn't on Moths of that period. Needlespar, Proctor Alpha & Lambda and etched Bowman were all reasonably successful as well as a few Aussie imports. The DQ2 was best suited to the old IMCA rig which had a soft sail with a 15' luff and 9' foot. Hope this helps.

Ian M
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Ian - that would make a lot of sense, it is certainly a lighter section than the Needlespar that the Skol Mk2 has.

Nessa, I can still send it up, but I'm not sure whether it will be of use to you?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

"Used to be used on Contenders as well."

Yes........but a very long time ago - late 1970s...... a Contender with a Proctor C would almost qualify for classic legality (1965/66 design....)

By 1980 just about all the C sections had gone as Proctors had tried to drop the section, replacing it with the Alpha (that had the flat aft face...). This was not a success - even as an Alpha + the section was just too soft and they inverted even faster than the C. Tony Smith led the charge away from bendy masts by changing to the D and a flatter sail, then there was the rush to get Z spars, Holmespars (remember those) and others( someone even tried rolling an F section, much loved by FDs, to get it to fit the class rules...but that was heavy!)

Cast your mind back - Proctors also tried to replace the B with the Beta..... oh dear - NOT a good mast. These were bad days at Swanwick....

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The gold Moth mast has now taken up residence in Cambridgeshire!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Yes, and it seems to be stiffer than the one I have!

Thanks Rupert, also for the 420 sails. A small boy will be very happy!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World