Looks cheap

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Not sure what this is from but might be of use to someone looking for a classic type of mast
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Garry R

Post by Garry R »

This reply back from the seller if interested

"Mast is floor stepped - i.e. it is square at the base and goes through a hole in foredeck. Actual bottom of mast is flat. It has no spreaders just 3 stays. It is delaminating and will need glueing back together. It might have come from a Wayfarer - not sure... "
johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

I think it's a GP14 mast. I've got some more accurate measurements from the seller and it's about the right length, the gooseneck slider is in the right place as are the shrouds. This is rather good as I could do with another wooden mast!
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

"A boat is a large hole in the water into which you pour money"
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

You can never have too many masts - and wooden ones are getting rare. I won't be bidding!! They don't fit Merlins
johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

Well I've got it. The mast is in a bit of a state but hopefully repairable and the boom belonging to the mast is better (well at least straighter) than the one I already have. The mast has some nice 1960s stainless fittings and some interesting non stainless shrouds and a jubilee clip (holding the top of the mast together!! Slightly worrying that someone sailed with it like that...)What was the general consensus on what is the best adhesive for gluing a mast back together? I just used waterproof resin W on my last mast which worked quite well.
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

"A boat is a large hole in the water into which you pour money"
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I used Balcotan for my mast, boom and gaff.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

wouldn't trust resin w waterproof. even the waterproof ones stay slightly elastic so that if the joint is under a constant tension the glue will slide. so could eventually come appart or allow the mast to take up a bend.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

My Merlin 111 mast was split from top to bottom and I used SP epoxy (but I guess that West epoxy would be as good). You really have to get rid of all the old glue though as you need penetration into clean timber to get a good grip. The old glue was pretty dozed and came away without much trouble in flakes! Do remember to watch that the halyards don't get stuck inside the mast - now THAT is an interesting removal project.
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

How many zeros are missing? 2 isn't enough, 3 seems hopeful?
Rupert
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Wow!!! it is cheap, would it fit on Shearwater for 2006??
DJSpencer-Smith
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Twenty five years ago I was regularly going over to Gosport after work and having my evening meal aboard this very boat.
Buy me a beer sometime and I'll tell you more.
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

If you know this boat then tell us all whats wrong with it! £79 sovs would usually get you a decent framed photo. Whats the catch - does she come with debts to help those of us looking for tax losses? Waht beats me is that it hasn't been sold.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Duncan - Shearwater might well fit in it!!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)