Int Moth

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Post Reply
westie4566
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Int Moth

Post by westie4566 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Wish this was a wee bit closer to me!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 97.c0.m619

PaulM
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Int Moth

Post by PaulM » Tue May 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Another one, Magnum 2 I think, in Cleveland:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/International-Mot ... 0598830609

Paul

PaulM
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Int Moth

Post by PaulM » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:57 am

For someone within reach of Kelso in Scotland, this appears to be a Womble Mk2:

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.com/d ... aid=201126

Bargain - wish I was (a) nearer (b) younger !

Paul

GaryT
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Int Moth

Post by GaryT » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

PaulM wrote:For someone within reach of Kelso in Scotland, this appears to be a Womble Mk2:

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.com/d ... aid=201126

Bargain - wish I was (a) nearer (b) younger !

Paul
Hi there, I am tempted by the moth above and stay very close to it. Do you have anymore information about that design? I was really looking for a late lowrider to play about on like a Magnum 9 or Skippy etc but with this being so close I wonder if it is worth considering? What will it be like to sail compared to the later lowriders? I have never sailed a moth before so have no experience of them.

I have already found this site incredibly helpful as i am finding it very difficult to find much information about lowrider moths!

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

Gary

User avatar
Nessa
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: East Angular

Re: Int Moth

Post by Nessa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:17 am

the womble is also on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/International ... 4cf8b2c1b8

Gary I have a Magnum V. i have only sailed it once as yet, in very little wind. It was challenging but I think with practice the fun factor will be pretty high!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World

PaulM
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Int Moth

Post by PaulM » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:20 am

This boat is from my era in Moths.........

The Moth website has unfortunately gone all modern and blog-style, and the links to the archive pages no longer work, which is a pain since I went to a lot of trouble to scan and send my photos, and provided info on a lot of others.

Anyway, this boat for sale is a Womble Mk2 from about 1979 or 1980. The Womble was designed by Peter Conway who is still sailing foiler Moths now in his 70s! Originally they had buoyant timber wings, but after the design won the 1976 Nationals and 1977 Worlds it became very popular and lots of people wanted one but were put off by the complexity of construction, so John Claridge started building them alongside his Magnum 3’s and changed the deck layout to have ‘tubes and tramps’ and the same construction as Magnums, calling it a Mk2 although the hull shape is the same as the original. ( By then he was using WEST, so this one should have lasted OK without going soft, and the restoration looks OK.)

However the design, which was probably about the last of the ‘old school’ Moths with V’eed sections and lots of rocker for lighter winds, was superceded by 1982 by the Magnum 5, Phobia and Dragon.

It’s not much like a late Magnum, Axeman or Skippy, which would be a lot narrower, deeper and lighter and had mast stumps and stiffer rigs. I don’t think it would necessarily be easier or harder to sail, just different; it would be good in light winds and flat water, but not in waves and stronger breezes – it is, to me, definitely a ‘classic’ rather than just a cheap way to get into Moths.

Paul

User avatar
Nessa
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: East Angular

Re: Int Moth

Post by Nessa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:42 am

I am working on my moth right now; the foredeck is delaminating :(
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World

GaryT
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Int Moth

Post by GaryT » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Nessa wrote:the womble is also on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/International ... 4cf8b2c1b8

Gary I have a Magnum V. i have only sailed it once as yet, in very little wind. It was challenging but I think with practice the fun factor will be pretty high!

Hi Nessa, Yes I have been keeping an eye on it on Ebay!

I think I have managed to read every moth related thread on the forum in the last couple of days and read all about your Magnum V with great interest. It looks great with the new paint etc.

Thanks

Gary

GaryT
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Int Moth

Post by GaryT » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 pm

PaulM wrote:This boat is from my era in Moths.........

The Moth website has unfortunately gone all modern and blog-style, and the links to the archive pages no longer work, which is a pain since I went to a lot of trouble to scan and send my photos, and provided info on a lot of others.

Anyway, this boat for sale is a Womble Mk2 from about 1979 or 1980. The Womble was designed by Peter Conway who is still sailing foiler Moths now in his 70s! Originally they had buoyant timber wings, but after the design won the 1976 Nationals and 1977 Worlds it became very popular and lots of people wanted one but were put off by the complexity of construction, so John Claridge started building them alongside his Magnum 3’s and changed the deck layout to have ‘tubes and tramps’ and the same construction as Magnums, calling it a Mk2 although the hull shape is the same as the original. ( By then he was using WEST, so this one should have lasted OK without going soft, and the restoration looks OK.)

However the design, which was probably about the last of the ‘old school’ Moths with V’eed sections and lots of rocker for lighter winds, was superceded by 1982 by the Magnum 5, Phobia and Dragon.

It’s not much like a late Magnum, Axeman or Skippy, which would be a lot narrower, deeper and lighter and had mast stumps and stiffer rigs. I don’t think it would necessarily be easier or harder to sail, just different; it would be good in light winds and flat water, but not in waves and stronger breezes – it is, to me, definitely a ‘classic’ rather than just a cheap way to get into Moths.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for the information it is much appreciated. It is a real shame that the archives appear to been taken off the Moth site. Like I said before finding any information re the moth designs is very difficult. i am glad I have found this forum and its wealth of knowledge.

I think your response has pretty much confirmed that I would be better off with a late lowrider as I really want to be able to play about with it and possibly modify. As such the Classic womble doesn't really suit my needs. It's a shame really as i can only really find lowriders for sale down south mostly close to London which makes it difficult with being in Scotland!

I contacted the seller about the Womble and according to him the sail number is 3787. Thought you might be interested incase you may have known of the boat.

Thanks again for the information

Gary

Post Reply