Harrier+ on the bay

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Obscured by clouds

Harrier+ on the bay

Post by Obscured by clouds »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2-man-dinghy-la ... 45fb51d1e2

there was some interest in this class a while ago iirc. At boat no2 maybe there is some historical interest?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
mcyotty

Re: Harrier+ on the bay

Post by mcyotty »

This Harrier may not actually be (original) no2. It looks to be one of the 'old' Whitby boats that they converted with Phantom rigs. I have one of the Whitby Harrier +'s (no 3) with an identical Bruce Banks sail. The Whitby lads, all big-boat sailors in the summer, assembled about ten boats that they 'renumbered and re-rigged' so that they could sail them in the harbour over the Winter months. I believe the Harbourmaster put an end to their fun because of congestion and the dinghies were eventually all sold off. They are great boats to sail though inspite of their known weaknesses.
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

I thought I had secured Harrier +1/01 last year and was all geared up for a trip to Yarmouth, and collection when the vendor sent a message he had sold it to a local club member. I got a bit mean feeling having sold one of the two Phantom stocks via their website, and sending it to the Isle of Wight was not particularly hassle free either, but a mate who asked me to tow his boat home for him did it for me through his business, so the guy had it post free.
When the same Norfolk Harrier guy asked about the nice laminated rudder I also had listed in the Phantom bits,I decided that was being stubborn hanging onto it in case it were needed, and much as I love wooden items another thing constantly in the way, so he agreed to send me a cheque ,thanked me for how well packaged it was and all was forgiven on the Harrier front. He could not remember the incident anyway. My Phantom is defunct so parts may well go to keep others going!
Harrier 02 was also for sale on Apollo Duck at the very same time, last year,but for rather more than the 350 I thought I was going to pay out, (my Norwich man got his full 400) and it was uoop narth.
Ironically I am due to go to Harrogate next weekend, for a niece's wedding, but having just come out of hospital again, we are being driven (if I feel fit enough to go) even if i wanted to bid the logistics rule it out.
Nice looking boat and obviously in pristine condition nothwithstanding(I can always sail my old Merlin Rocket single handed) but as you say probably not with any greater provinence than the others in the double figures totals.
Incidentally the Keith Callaghan firm is based in Ipswich and I believe have some CAD renderings for what is described as a single hander new Merlin. or may be its in effect a new Harrier?
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Gav, I'm hoping some of those phantom bits are put aside for me! Should be able to come and collect whenever you're ready now - no rush, whenever you've been able to go and get them!

Nessa
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
winsbury

Post by winsbury »

Delighted to say I am the new owner of said Harrier+ no 02 as shown on the bay.

Its amazing how little info there is on the www about the Harrier, I did get an email reply from the designer which is very satisfying about the rig set up but its clear there is a LOT of work needed to get this ol gal rigged correctly. The hull, mast, sail, foils ( and trailer ) are in lovely condition so those alone are probably worth what I paid. The boom looks like a pepper pot it has that many old rivet holes so if anyone has an old Phantom boom up for grabs I'd be mighty pleased to hear from you.

I spent half a day removing the various bits of 'protective' electrical tape and associated gunge to reveal what is essentially not a bad boat:

The transom appears to be the original ply one and although theres no rot that I can see there is every possibility there will be soon unless dry it properly and paint those flaking drain holes really well. The centerboard controls are all missing, the traveller has been removed and the mainsheet moved aft but with no jammer - all very strange as I cant imagine for a second that arrangement would give a better trim close hauled than a well adjusted traveller. The cleats have all seen better days and the clamcleats have all been replaced with 'normal' dual cams but there's not enough room on the rigging pillars for these so someone in the past has plonked extras in various places, all a bit of a mess.

Many many pounds left my already steaming credit card at the weekend on bits to refit the running rigging, centerboard controls, traveller, jammer and a bunch of lance cleats that I hope will do a good job of replacing the functionality of the original clamcleats but maintain a compact neat and tidy appearance.

I'll be taking some photos as the work progresses and will post them here if I can find a way to do it. In the mean time I would be really pleased to hear from any other owners so perhaps we could get together sometime or swap tales at the very least.

More anon

Dean
Dean.

Harrier 02
Wayfarer 1820
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like a great project, Dean - where will you be sailing her?
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hope to see you at an event soon :).

A few years ago, I +ed my harrier with a £20 phantom rig off ebay. Lots of fun setting it up and I was surprised about how far I had to rake the mast to get her to behave.

Nigel
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I think the Harrier at Hunts is still for sale if anyone wants one!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Would they want to swap the Harrier for an old Streaker?
Harrier 25
505 7163
winsbury

Post by winsbury »

Hi Rupert,

she will be berthed at Draycote water near Rugby once the work is finished.

I also have a Mk1 grp Wayfarer there too which is great for me and the missus but I wanted a fairly stable but fast single hander which wasnt a Laser (which I always endup capsizing) or a Solo which I cant help thinking is a boring looking boat (apologies to those folks that think otherwise.)

Having problems with my orders for the bits though - I placed the order with Deckbits.com but theres no answer to email or phone which has me worried.
Dean.

Harrier 02
Wayfarer 1820
winsbury

Post by winsbury »

Nigel wrote:Hope to see you at an event soon :).

A few years ago, I +ed my harrier with a £20 phantom rig off ebay. Lots of fun setting it up and I was surprised about how far I had to rake the mast to get her to behave.

Nigel
Just how far was that ?... I just set her up with Phantom setting but reading your message makes me wonder if thats going to be right. I am a heavy guy though if that makes any difference.
Dean.

Harrier 02
Wayfarer 1820
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Started with trial and error and kept moving it back until it stopped feeling horrible. Weight was not really an issue. Not overpowered, just not well behaved.

I didn't measure but by eye, it was quite raked.

Easy to fix though. I ended up using two sets of stay adjuster plates on the Phantom forestay to get it raked far enough
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

winsbury wrote:if anyone has an old Phantom boom up for grab
As if by magic....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phantom-saili ... 3369209d4b
winsbury

Post by winsbury »

good timing though it looks nothing like the boom on my boat ... mine is circular in section - just like is shown on the Phantom website: http://www.phantomclass.org.uk/site/ind ... &Itemid=58 but just noticed he has an enterprise boom listed that looks like the Phantom one so hopefully its just the photos that are mixed up.
Dean.

Harrier 02
Wayfarer 1820
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

My Phantom boom in with Nessa's bits is the same as the EBay one, initially I tried it on my Merlin Rocket but it is too short, sorry but I dont think they were ever tubular on Phantoms but if anyone knows differently I will stand corrected :oops:and just a thought, if your one is I think you said full of rivets(or rivet holes) it would'nt per chance be a cut down mast with a gooseneck added +the runner guide taken off?