Classic 505 K698 varnished wood

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
dlee3660

Classic 505 K698 varnished wood

Post by dlee3660 »

I'm probably really going to regret this :( , but my lovely wood 505 is for sale because I'm not finding the time to work on her and, realistically, won't have much time to use her due to other sailing commitments.

K698 was built in 1966, but has not seen much use and really has spent most of her life garaged. She is beautifully built and could be sailed in her current condition, but with a bit of work stripping and re-varnishing the decks will be an absolute stunner. The varnish and paint on her hull is still in good condition and doesn't need much attention, although there is a minor ding which needs sorting (in a painted area). There are also a few glue joints in the cockpit area which need some attention, but otherwise everything seems very sound.

She includes her original Collar wood mast and boom which are in good condition, plus a Proctor D ally mast and rigging from a much newer boat. She has her original 1966 mainsail and jib which are still surprisingly crisp, but no spinnaker gear (she appears to have never been fully fitted out). Boat cover is old but serviceable, but really this old lady should be kept garage stored. She is currently sat on an ancient road trailer which provides good support, but the deal also includes a combi trailer base and almost matching trolley in good condition. The trolley needs to have a decent hull cradle built and fitted before it is used, but is otherwise good to go.

More details and a few photos here, or let me know if you want more piccies.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3038

Price? Well, I'm open to reasonable offers, but it is important the boat goes to a good home

Dave Lee
0798 3501955
Davelee3546@btinternet.com
Dave Lee

Merlin Rocket 3779 "The Angels' Share"
Merlin Rocket 2500 "Silver Ghost"
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Classic 505 K698 varnished wood

Post by Ed »

Hi Dave,

fraid I don't think I can buy it, however much I would like to....

but....when was she built and by whom?

any other known history?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
roger

Post by roger »

Oh no I comeback from a weekend away and there is another beeeeutiful boat. I know I cant have but I think she is so lovely. Dave I hope she goes to a good home.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
dlee3660

Post by dlee3660 »

Hi Ed

She was "amateur" built by a Dick Hammond, who I understand was an engineer with Rolls Royce and clearly a very skilled woodworker. He built the boat in his spare time whilst working over in Sweden and spent a long time planning, researching materials and construction techniques. Along with the measurement certificate, I have a fair bit of his correspondance with John Westell (amongst others), plus receipts for just about everything used in her construction.

Due to the lack of any spinnaker gear and other evidence, I believe she was never quite finished as intended, although was measured and sailed at least a few times on the Teign. It seems that Mr Hammond's career prevented him from sailing her much and sadly he passed away a few years later, the boat going to his brother who then kept her in storage for nearly 40 years - it must have been a very difficult decision to let her go.

She really is a lovely boat and this would be a very reluctant sale. She must go to a good home, or will stay in my garage until I can get around to working on her one day.
Dave Lee

Merlin Rocket 3779 "The Angels' Share"
Merlin Rocket 2500 "Silver Ghost"