Classic, wooden Finn

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
neil
Site Admin

Classic, wooden Finn

Post by neil »

I've just put an advert for a nice Finn on the Classic Finn site

http://classicfinn.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Re: Classic, wooden Finn

Post by Michael Brigg »

neil wrote:I've just put an advert for a nice Finn on the Classic Finn site

http://classicfinn.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67
Closer inspection proves that finns are for pussies! :lol:

But more seriously, this is a must have but can't have. :cry:

Lovely boat, and a real wooden mast :) :) :) :)

Wow, its like buses. This and the all wood, all varnished 505 on the same week-end!!
Michael Brigg
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Many Finns do have pussy pads.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

'tis a 1961 Fairey, no. 95 called Terrapin, acquired today and soon to be moved for refurb in Sidcup.

Spooky, because Merlin 36 is called Terrapin as well!
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Well done. Looking forward to seeing her sailing again.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I must admit I was tempted John - But the Mirror kit you sold me must take priority or the daughter will disown me..... Hope you enjoy her. I do know where there is another wooden Finn mast in storage if you need one. It isn't for sale at the moment but I might be able to persuade the owner for a good cause.
Graham
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

Hi Graham

would be very interested in a spare mast as the one that came with it has split top to bottom; daylight between the two halves for a metre from the top!

It's repairable but this part might keep the boat off the water for too long.

The rest of the boat is pretty sound but with very dry veneers and missing most of it's varnish. Sail is in reasonable cruising condition.

John
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

John

have you found http://classicfinn.org.uk ?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

Neil

I got in touch with the owner via the ad on the classic finn website and yesterday identified the boat by looking up the name on the transom, Terrapin, in the boat register.

There is a mast bend measurement guide on the north sails website too. Do I presume that they or any other sailmaker could make a new sail to match this if applied to a wooden mast?

http://www.northsails.com/tabid/14277/Default.aspx

Looooonnnnggggg way off this yet and a merlin to finish. Might do some synchronised varnishing between classes!

Any views on 2-pack vs 1-pack varnish on fairey finns? I am anti-epoxy and don't want to add anything long term that can't be removed in the future.

Great website by the way.

John
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

billytwiglet wrote:There is a mast bend measurement guide on the north sails website too. Do I presume that they or any other sailmaker could make a new sail to match this if applied to a wooden mast?
In principle yes.
Best wishes

SB
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Some of us have been talking with sailmakers with regard to making sails for classic Finns and usually most will have a go, however, it is a complex sail and unless they have experience with them I would advise to steer clear.
There are a couple of lofts we have been talking to who will hopefully be doing something with dacron in the not too distant future, Chris Davison the boss of the Ulman loft in Plymouth has just bought himself a classic Finn, so keep an eye on wwwclassicfinn.org.uk who knows perhaps a group buy may be possible at some time in the future.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Paint and varnish: On my previous Fairey I used 2 pack. It looked very good and lasted very well. On Django I've always used conventional 1 packs. The hull paint is very tough and lasts very well (International) but I find the varnish gets marked quite quickly from use so needs redoing every year. The widsom here (CVRDA) is that conventional paints let a wooden boat breath better and help prevent rot.

Sails: I've been advised that North will only match the mast bend within a limited range. This excludes round carbon masts which are the closest to modern carbon wing masts, Needlespars are a bit further away and wooden masts a lot further. So really the answer is no. See if Brookesey gets anywhere. Alternatively wait and see if I turn up anything. I've been talking to Jim Hunt (Speed sails) who is an OK sailor and he's keen to try and make a sail for my Finn so I'm going to give it a go this winter.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

John - I have discovered that what I thought was just a mast is actually a complete boat but the hull is stored elsewhere. It is number 17 and the owner still has the original receipt from new! It is not for sale but they are looking for an original rudder as following damage it is using a Devotti one and it just looks wrong so if you hear of one.....

Good luck with the project(s!)
Graham
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

This is a nice find indeed as it is a Fairey boat finished by Wootens built in 1956 with only on owner listed, I would be grateful if you could let me have the current owners details so that I can update the records and ensure its number is retained.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Brookesy - I have PMd you what contact details I have but it is still owned by the original purchaser.....
Graham T